Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what makes a line suitable for broadband?

• 20-10-2003 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

€irCon don't seem to know! LOOK......

"I am writing to you in reply to a conversation we had in relation to your ADSL order today, Monday 20th October.

I am writing to you to confirm that, unfortunately, your line has failed the broadband test after being checked by a technician. Your line originally did pass the ADSL prequal test but after checking it further, the line has failed. This means that, at present, you cannot avail of ADSL. You asked me what the problem was with your line and unfortunately, I cannot tell you. After initiating the ADSL test, we only get a "pass or fail" response. There is no provision in place at present to resolve the problems that are preventing customer's from getting ADSL. All I can tell you is that there is no fault on your line and your line will work fine for voice service.

I hope this answers any queries you have. However, if you have any further queries, please don't hesitate in contacting me back.

"

Can anybody answer this one?

Regards,
    Maddog.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

I got the same deal? Maybe it has something to do with there offer ending in December. I'm sure the line will be fine in December. Does this mean that the line wont pass for Esat or IOL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yeah more than likely.. any DSL order sent from another telco will just come back as failed or wont be processed.. at least thats what a UTV sales rep told me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I got stuck in about a year ago as I was told I couldn't get DSL from Eircom.
    Here are a few things I can tell you.
    1. The departments which deal with DSL provisioning and line provisioning are totally different.
    2. They don't talk to each other much.
    3. The guys out in the exchange in Bray were told not to get involved with DSL at all. It could be the same elsewhere.
    4. The guys out here also were overburdened as they had three guys to look after two exchanges.
    5. The guys are used to making a line work for phone, not DSL. They probably aren't too familiar with the other.
    6. There are many things that could be wrong with your line. Probably the most likely is either waterlogging or line taps. Line taps are where 'tees' on the line from previous connections weren't removed. Although it is sloppy, it didn't really matter for voice. Now, with DSL, a big cleanup will need to be done.
    I hope this helps somewhat. The bottom line is that some people won't get DSL without a big fuss but some will with presistance as I did. There are some good people at Eircom who really do want to help and it isn't too hard to understand that some of them don't know what other departments do.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

Originally posted by iwb
    I got stuck in about a year ago as I was told I couldn't get DSL from Eircom.
    Here are a few things I can tell you.
    1. The departments which deal with DSL provisioning and line provisioning are totally different.
    2. They don't talk to each other much.
    3. The guys out in the exchange in Bray were told not to get involved with DSL at all. It could be the same elsewhere.
    4. The guys out here also were overburdened as they had three guys to look after two exchanges.
    5. The guys are used to making a line work for phone, not DSL. They probably aren't too familiar with the other.
    6. There are many things that could be wrong with your line. Probably the most likely is either waterlogging or line taps. Line taps are where 'tees' on the line from previous connections weren't removed. Although it is sloppy, it didn't really matter for voice. Now, with DSL, a big cleanup will need to be done.
    I hope this helps somewhat. The bottom line is that some people won't get DSL without a big fuss but some will with presistance as I did. There are some good people at Eircom who really do want to help and it isn't too hard to understand that some of them don't know what other departments do.

Sounds like You had pretty much the same experience with Eircom as I did, You said You didn't get anywhere without making a fuss, can You be more specific on this one???

i.e. what channels did you go through, whom did you speak with and how long did it take €irCon to get their finger out?

Regards,
    Maddog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Hi Maddog,
    I am a little bit busy at the moment so I haven't done a search, but I did post my experiences about ten months ago or so. You should be able to find them with a search.

• Advertisement
Advertisement