Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher Politicians paid €500k over 5 years for Leave of Absence

Options
  • 20-10-2003 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I find this incredible.
    Teachers who turned to politics are paid around €4k per annum as they're considered on a leave of absence.
    This has apparently cost us €500k over the past 5 years.
    What's worse the original post cannot be filled by a permanent teacher, the post remains open to the politician and they are paid the difference between their original salaries and that of the temporary replacement.
    What's even more amazing is that the Minister for Education Noel Dempsey himself has received €20k under this scheme.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/1020/dempseyn.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I hate to say it but it sounds like there's at least a veneer of sense in the idea - ideally the minister for an area should have worked in that area and be qualified in that area. Otherwise, you get Bertie Ahern as Minister for Finance...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cromwelly

Otherwise, you get Bertie Ahern as Minister for Finance...
    Err... isn't Bertie Ahern an accountant by trade ?

Of course it's nice if a minister has worked in the area he or she is responsible for, but how does a €175k cabinet minister justify an additional €4 per annum for NOT doing something ?
    I wonder if he gets his pension rights too.

Yes I'm ranting, but I have a letter from the twat in question telling me how funds are not available for an extra teacher for a local school. I'm sorry, I think he's a thieving bastard.

Originally posted by Cromwelly
    Err... isn't Bertie Ahern an accountant by trade ?
    But not by qualifications...
    Of course it's nice if a minister has worked in the area he or she is responsible for, but how does a €175k cabinet minister justify an additional €4 per annum for NOT doing something ?
    I said it had a veneer of sense, not that I thought it was a wonderful idea. Do they get the 4k if they just decide to run? Or only if successful? When does the payment start?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Sparks
    But not by qualifications...

Lets not go down that road again....

jc

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bonkey
    Lets not go down that road again....
    I'm not going down the road, just pointing it out to someone that didn't go down it with us the first time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Originally posted by Sparks
    I hate to say it but it sounds like there's at least a veneer of sense in the idea - ideally the minister for an area should have worked in that area and be qualified in that area. Otherwise, you get Bertie Ahern as Minister for Finance...

Errr... wasn't Bertie in-fact-a the minister for finance previously?

Originally posted by IgnatiusJRiley
    Errr... wasn't Bertie in-fact-a the minister for finance previously?
    Hey, I just said I wouldn't go down that road!
    We covered it earlier, use the search engine...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Otherwise, you get Bertie Ahern as Minister for Finance...
    sparks

why would you prefer if he was Taoiseach? :)

It's a nice little earner for politicians but since they are both public service jobs surely it isn't justifiable to get a transfer to politics and keep earning from teaching. It would seem that teachers have a competitive advantage in politics. They have short hours and if they get elected they get to keep their job if they lose their seat. It's not as if they will find it hard to get a job after being a TD. One of the TDs apparently got his full salary from after he lost his seat in May until he got into the senate in July. I can imagine how much he would have been of benefit to students for his salary. These days TDs ARE well paid and so there is no justification for this payment per annum and keeping the school from filling a permanent post.

Advertisement