Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer won't boot up.

• 20-10-2003 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Got a bit of a problem. I spent the afternoon deleting and formatting two hard drives and preparing a dual boot. One drive with Linux and one with WinXp. Both drives had Linux before I started this. I used a boot disk and got the DOS prompt and went to Fdisk. This allowed me to remove the partitions that had been created. Then when I tried to go back and format the drive it informed me that it wasn't suitable for format!
    That seemed kind of weird so I tried the other drive and got the same response.

Anyway I thought the best thing to do was head off to Seagate's website and I downloaded a utility that ran off a floppy when booted and check the disk etc. Booted up and the Seagate splash screen came up. Then nothing. The top of the screen said "C:\xbios.exe" which the file it must ahve been running. The hard drive light was on as if it had hung or something. I waited and waited but nothing. Reset but the screen was just blank. Done a hard power down and booted up again but nothing.
    My first suspicion was "b****x, the disk is screwed." So itried the other drive - same deal. :confused:

To be specific: The computer powers on. There is no POST and no familiar motherboard beeps. The monitor stays in standby. The hard drive momentarily spins and then stops. She's in a coma. Maybe dead.

Anyone with advice? I gotta say my gut feeling is the mobo. Is there any way to check this. I'm off to write a stern letter to Seagate. Doubt it'll get anywhere......

:(

Advertisement