Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled actors?

Options
  • 21-10-2003 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi there! My first post here! First if all, my name's Christy, I'm 36. and I'm interested in drama. I have spina bifida, and use a wheelchair. So my question really is- Are there any other disabled actors/actresses out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by CHRIS GREER
    actresses
    Isn't this word now frowned upon? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭mechanima

You know there are a surprising amount of disabled actors Chris...DT knows the details, I don't...

Actually we chucked around some ideas about a sit-com based on a wheelchair bound, charming, rogue for AGES...the punchline being that the ONLY innocent thing about him is his chair...

Bust a few stereotypes...

But more so...Shakespeare wrote exactly one part for a black man, Othello, but plenty of black actors have played other Shakespearean parts with resounding success...

I seriously do not see why, if you are good enough at your craft, a wheelchair should get in the way any more than an unauthentic skin tone...

Your skills as an actor should MAKE the chair not matter...and in some parts...a wheelchair could add a whole new dimesion to the impact of the play...

You know the great Sarah Bernhardt had both legs amputated in later life and appeared on stage on crutches? She is still regarded as the greatest actress EVER...

G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 CHRIS GREER

Let me tell you more about myself. As I said, I'm 36 years old,and have been acting (and really enjoying it-love being on stage!) on-and off for years. Between 1995-99, I was part of the Real World Theatre Company, which was Belfast's answer to Graeae, except we weren't a professional company. I would simply LOVE to be a professional! So my question really is-

Does anybody know of a professional, fully paid up member of Equity (Well, that's the name in Northern Ireland-not sure about the Republic) who has a disability?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Does anybody know of a professional, fully paid up member of Equity (Well, that's the name in Northern Ireland-not sure about the Republic) who has a disability?

Not sure if Billy Connolly's a member of Equity, but he has Asperger's Syndrome.

In the Brit movie 'Maybe Baby' there was a young woman in a wheelchair, who was played by a wheelchair using actress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Nabil Shaban is a very good actor indeed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement