Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom- 56k Subscription versus 56k Dial-Up

Options
  • 21-10-2003 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

I have just recently downgraded from a subscrition to a free account.

To put it mildly, I find the speed ( I use the term advisedly!) of the free account appalling.

Right now, I am connected at 52kbps which is a good connection on Eircom's dial-up at any time. More normal would be 38.6kbps.

But, it feels so much slower than 52kbps when I was still on the subscription account.

Am I imagining things?

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Dinarius
    Am I imagining things?
    Possibly. You're dialling into the same POP so the speeds should be the same.
    Try downloading a file from tucows and see what download speeds you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dinarius
    Right now, I am connected at 52kbps which is a good connection on Eircom's dial-up at any time. More normal would be 38.6kbps.
    I never got more than 33.6 using this phone line by dialling up to Eircom. Using IOL I've only connected at less than 49.2 once in the past three years. Hence I don't dial up with Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 l337

what are you doing to measure these speeds... you do realise that the number that dial-up-networking gives you is completely inaccurate

i would assume that the subscription service for eircom is slightly faster than the free version.. they probably devote more modems, servers, bandwidth or whatever to it... its not unfair that the people who pay get better service...

maybe you should try iol or oceanfree or one of the other ones

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by l337
    i would assume that the subscription service for eircom is slightly faster than the free version.. they probably devote more modems, servers, bandwidth or whatever to it... its not unfair that the people who pay get better service...
    Connection speeds are more or less out of eircom's hands. The user connects to the POP, which back hauls to Crown Alley, where the RADIUS server uses CLID to determine what service the user is connecting to, and then uses the appropriate DB to verify credentials.

The type of service is irrelevant, since the bottleneck occurs at the local loop.

Advertisement