Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Door can get DSL, but I can't...

Options
  • 21-10-2003 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I am sure this is not the first post about people being failed for line test for DSL....but here goes.

I live in Glanmire in Co. Cork.
    I live in an estate which is 10 years ago.
    My next door neighbour (021-4822xxx) can get DSL, I (021-4822xxx) cannot.

Eircom wont tell me the real reason why. They say its poor line quality, and could be down to copper degradation!!! They say they only have to supply a phone line good enough for voice, and I know this is true. I am sure the entire estate is wired in the same manner, yet next door's line has passed!

Things to note, I have a cordless phone at home and a 40ft extension lead spilt off going to the computer upstairs. Could this affect their tests?

Is there anything I can do ? Eircom told me to go order another line if I want and see if that passes, but that costs e130 and if it does not work, then tough luck!

Anyone have any ideas, even to try to get eircom to patch my physical line over to another port on the patch-panel in the street, so it runs on a different terminus in the exchange?

Thanks in advance, James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Ba$tard
    Hey all,

Things to note, I have a cordless phone at home and a 40ft extension lead spilt off going to the computer upstairs. Could this affect their tests?

yip it could..
    rather than telling you what to do here is a link...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114868

there a few others too -take a look in broadband forum too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Thanks for the info there JD !

Anyone know when the next monthly pre-qual test is due for Cork ? Muck, any chance you know this?

Thanks, James.

I just spoke to a helpful engineer in Cork who said the cordless phone and the extension cable are 90% the cause of the problem.

I have close to perfect electrical strength to my phone line in the house.

Now, he doesnt know what the pre-qual tests run, so I rang Eircom BB back.

They dont know either. They think it is every 4 weeks. They dont know when the last test ran and when the next test is due to run ! That is absolutely crazy! Obviously someone does know but wont disclose the details.

So, what does it mean for me and all other potential customers?
    We have to strip down our phones at home, to use a single phone, with nothing else connected, for how long? They dont know! 'Era, call back into us in 2 or 3 weeks'

I am 99% sure if I go home and disconnect my modem and cordless phone, I will succeed the pre-qual, but I still will have to wait up to 5 weeks to find out? In this age of technology, that is beggars belief...

I am going to open a complaint with Eircom.
    James....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So, what does it mean for me and all other potential customers?
    We have to strip down our phones at home, to use a single phone, with nothing else connected, for how long?

Up to 5 weeks, however I have recently heard they are now retesting the lines every two weeks. Just keeping checking Eircoms online bb checker everyday until you pass.

BTW this worked for me, I failed due to bad equipment on my line, I took it off and passed 3 weeks later.

I am 99% sure if I go home and disconnect my modem and cordless phone, I will succeed the pre-qual, but I still will have to wait up to 5 weeks to find out? In this age of technology, that is beggars belief...

Agreed, but look on the bright side, you will probably be able to get bb, many people will never be able to get DSL for various reasons. A few weeks without the cordless phone and modem is worth it to get bb.

I am going to open a complaint with Eircom.
    James....

won't make a difference, it is how DSL works and how it is tested. DSL is just very picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

So, what does it mean for me and all other potential customers? We have to strip down our phones at home, to use a single phone, with nothing else connected, for how long? They dont know! 'Era, call back into us in 2 or 3 weeks'

Thats it exactly. I now have absolutely nothing plugged into my phone socket at home. I even took out the 5ft length of cable I use to connect to my laptop modem. Checking the prequal test every day but Im not really expecting anything for the next week. It's one week tomorrow since I submitted my line for testing. Only another 1+ week(s) to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by rymus
    It's one week tomorrow since I submitted my line for testing. Only another 1+ week(s) to go!
    What do you mean you submitted it? :)

Rymus,

Sorry to say...I got it confirmed that the pre-qual test only is ran every 4 weeks....

:(

Advertisement