Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Lunging , forever Lunging" or "Thats TOO heroic"

Options
  • 21-10-2003 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

I have never read a David Gemmell book. I do read other fantasy authors though. What puts me off picking up these books is the videogame-ish (scantily dressed cleavage exposed women , guys looking mean/moody) covers. nearly all of his books seem to have someone lunging forward intensely. Has anybody else noticed this and/or find this amusing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Go for the hard-back, and remove the plastic sleeve!
    It'll be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm with you on this one. Most of the cover art for fantasy books seems to involve lunging, women wearing leather bikinis and a moody gloomy dwarf-man.

ah well, goes to show that you can't judge some boooks by their covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

wheel of time anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Jes a lode of pratchett books have that "feature" on the front it dont stop me(or my mom) from enjoying them or picking them up in bookshops.:cool: , get over it try the books and see if you like them, thats whats important...not the cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Most book covers are irritating. Sci fi books often have trashy looking covers that do nothing to get rid of the stereotype that all sci-fi is pulp fiction.

Many literary novels have very pretentious covers and I hate the way, if a film based on a book is popular, they put a scene from the film on the cover of the book. The book was there first plus it takes away the pleasure of imagining how things in the book look for yourself.

Maybe we could have threads on bad and good book covers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Which books are guilty of this? Oh sure the ultra-**** ones maybe, but any of the more decent authors don't do this anymore. More likely to have some piece of landscape or achitecture on the front. Can't think of when Hobb, Feist, Wurts, Jordan, Erickson, Brooks, Eddings, etc. have done this recently. It was done on a short story collection I get- Mammoth Book of Fantasy Novels - but beyond that I've been spared...Still it shows there's not enough ladies reading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, Greg Bear covers suck, also many sci-fi anthologies have badly drawn covers... basically, I would prefer if all books just had really plain covers with the author and title printed soberly.

Advertisement