Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We need more AvP players

Options
  • 10-08-1999 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

those of you who played at FTI
    know how good it is in multi player

it ro><0rs etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Yes, AVP is pretty good. Only one thing, even on a 100mb lan, with 8 players going, it was really really laggy for some players. I doubt it would be any good for the net unless they bring out a patch or maybe some sort of dedicated server, etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Speaking of AVP, I'm having serious sound problems... it don't work!!! It's all ar$ed in-game. Any thoughts? I've tried a re-install of both the game and drivers, having said that, the PC could do with a good HD wipe sunglasses.gif
    But before I do that, is there anything to get it going right now?
    And are there any patches/updates available?

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    homepage.tinet.ie/~davitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

I think my cousin had the dame problem. Is it like really crackley or stuff? If its like that its not the speakers, believe it or not. Do you have a Voodoo1? If you do theres your problem. It some how conflicts with the sound in the game.
    BTW AVP rocks....look at me Ma I've got a Sadar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Darkedge

i used a Voodoo1 at FTI with AvP and
    it was grand, no sound probs at all.

also, on mplayer.com the lag is not bad at all, i was getting a 110 ping from home.

YAY!

anywho im going to germany in 2 weeks.
    it has nothing to do with quake or avp.

i just thought id say its free, and all
    my expances are paid for. tongue.gif

Sry, might depend on the sound card you have. Is it a SB Live Value? Then the problem is the conflict between the Voodoo and the SB Live

• Advertisement

Actually, since you dont need the CD it should be a game for college. It'll need to be ripped to make it smaller.
    Quozl, are you reading this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

oh yeah.. all those college computers with voodoo and tnt2 cards smile.gif
    like they are so needed for Visual Studio and ML programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

yeah Helv,
    be a cool college game, but i tried the warez version about 2 months ago on the pe*****machines and no luck. It dies soon as it tries to use the graphics engine (****ty graphics card).
    Maybe they'll get some new machines for next year with tnt-2s wink.gif
    Anyway kingpin on the lan smile.gif Hehehehe
    Quozl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

avp totaly rocks and i dont find it a bit laggy over the net there is a new patch available just go to thepage for fox interactive .

fear the brood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭mobius

Where do U guys play?
    I've tried mplayer, but that's $hit.
    Any '.ie' servers?

Get muppited at:
    http://drive.to/mobius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

I've been playing this game for ages now and
    i had the same problems with the sound as most ppl.
    to fix it go to the multimedia settings and
    go into the advanced properties, and in performance out everything down to "standard" quality, it has nothing to do with conflicts with the video card, its just something to do with most makes of creative labs card.

and another thing, i've been playing it over mplayer for a while now and i dont find any lag in it at all, granted i have it running on a PIII 500, and riva tnt 2 ultra, but i still get resonable ping and have only been beaten once smile.gif

Theres also a patch that brings the game up to buid 98, i think u can download it from www.avpnews.com or the avp home page.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm AVP

speargun....TAKE IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The only problem with AvP is that a species duel match is rubbish - one on one, the predator wins every time, although I suspect that it's balanced out once you have a few players on the level.

We were playing it for hours on the lan last night, and found that the best handicap to play the Predator with is to disable his special view modes. Otherwise it's simply too easy, given the disc and the shoulder cannon home on the infra-red signal...

Ja,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Eric,

we had a 100 meg lan, how many had 100 meg cards? Most people had 10meg combo cards, I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

errm, We had not only a 100mb lan, but each pc went into their OWN dedicated 100mb connect on a big ass 24 port 100mb switch.

Alas, I think I figured out the problem. I didnt have the AVP patch, nor did a few others and that is probably why it was knash. As soon as I installed it (last nite) it resolved my video-lag problems. Im sure if I gave it another go with the patch it would rock even more then it did smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

1v1 alien wins all the time well im going onto m player right now ill see ya in a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The marine is fine against the Alien, providing you have enough room to keep backing up away from the Alien.

It's a bit paper-rock-stone really, but cool all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Creeper

Hobbes, the marine is dog food. Unless the Alien is a Quadraplegic.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Just BTW, the SBLive popping/crackling thing is fixed by the Liveware 2.0 update.

Oh...er... I thought AvP was too damn hard. Thief was my kind of paranoia game.

Whus! smile.gif
    To scary you mean :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hell ive only played the marine demo and i went through about 20 pairs of undies.
    scared the sh1te outta me!

damn facehuggin bas7ards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Creeper the Aliens only advantge is to get in close, it's **** all use from a distance. So as long as you are able to keep your distance you should be able to hold off 1-2 aliens (least that's all I can manage and I'm crap at these games cheeky.gif )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

thats against bots or in single play, in dm
    the alien will get you in nice tight confined corridors or drop down from the roof. Its not gonna charge across a big open landscape like the bots do, and it travels four times as fast as a marine. So you cannt backup to get away from it
    quozl

Well I dont really know much about playing it over a LAN but camping on a roof,dropping down and the chomping on their heads is a good idea. deadsmiley.gif

whats the command for bots that come with the patch, i cant seem to get them to work.

btw is there a fov command like using the aliens fov with the marine or predator

[This message has been edited by Helv (edited 18-08-99).]

No no no...
    It's simple....you just EAT them.
    The Predator is grand....he kills Aliens with the disc or whatever, coz they autoaim..
    The marine can't (and no the smart-gun WON'T lock on) and he gets eaten.
    The Alien moves so ridiculously fast running, and even more ridiculously fast jumping. You jump and chomp, bye bye marine.

No no no...
    It's simple....you just EAT them.
    The Predator is grand....he kills Aliens with the disc or whatever, coz they autoaim..
    The marine can't (and no the smart-gun WON'T lock on) and he gets eaten.
    The Alien moves so ridiculously fast running, and even more ridiculously fast jumping. You jump and chomp, bye bye marine.

Advertisement