Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling IOL Anytime

Options
  • 21-10-2003 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Has anyone cancelled their subscription to IOL Anytime? If so was it hassle free, or were there difficulties? Want to get IBB and obviously don't want to pay both fees. Any info appreciated.

Scary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

It states in the small print that you have to stay with them for one year. If you are changing over to IOL DSL I dont know what the story would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭FirA_Fascio

Most flat-rate/broadband packages have a minimum contract period of one year. Yes, I hate it too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if your changing to IOL BB i don't think they charge you for breaking the contract cos u basically staying with the same company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭manic_monster

You can move to iol broadband - I just moved. Haven't got any billing details yet though to see what wau it actaully works

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

he wants to move to IBB though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

What is your position if you cannot connect to the service? I would expect that you cannot be charged for something you cannot use.

Let me "paint a scenario"; a small company in a small town which eircom has not condescended to supply with DSL decide that they are being charged far too much for internet access. They are using Eircom ISDN. Access to the internet is essential for their business so they decide that if broadband is not available they at least need flat rate access.

So they apply for IOL Anytime, get it set up but find when they go to use it that none of their PCs can connect to the number supplied by IOL.

Days of frustrating phone calls to IOL tech support follow at the end of which they are no better off. They realise they have made a mistake and my possibly never be able to use the service. They ask to cancel the account but are told that they have signed up to a 12 month contract and tough luck you can't get out of it.

What is the next step? Comreg?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by pork99
    What is the next step? Comreg?
    Nope. None of Comreg's business.

They signed up for a service that allows them to dial the Internet for a certain number of hours per month. Within the T&C's it states that the minimum contract term is 12 months. Once everything is set up on ISPs side, they've fulfilled their part of the contract. Whether the customer uses the service or not, is up to them.

If the machines can't connect to the number, that's the customer's problem, not the ISPs.

In the interests of goodwill, IMO, the ISP *should* allow it to go (especially if no hours have been used), but we all know that customer service is something severely lacking in Ireland.

If the machines can't connect to the number, that's the customer's problem, not the ISPs.

Is this not like a form of legalised theft?

I mean if I invoiced a client and failed to "deliver the goods" I would be up to my neck in the brown stuff fairly rapidly.

Is this not like a form of legalised theft?

I mean if I invoiced a client and failed to "deliver the goods" I would be up to my neck in the brown stuff fairly rapidly.

But they're not failing to deliver the goods. The customer is given a phone number to dial, and a username and password which allow them access to the internet. That's as far as their responsibility go.

Think of it this way - If you bought a chocolate bar, and then discovered that you had a mortal allergy to chocolate, ie you were unable to eat it, is the shopkeeper obliged to refund you?

:)

But they're not failing to deliver the goods. The customer is given a phone number to dial, and a username and password which allow them access to the internet. That's as far as their responsibility go.

Well then this really let's them off the hook. Why bother having any tech support then? If they can get their money without providing any service why not do that? it would mean very healthy margins indeed

No wonder the country is phuqed

• Advertisement

Well then this really let's them off the hook. Why bother having any tech support then? If they can get their money without providing any service why not do that? it would mean very healthy margins indeed

No wonder the country is phuqed
    Tech support is a bargaining chip. It's de facto in the industry now, so it has to be offered. If no-one had tech support, problem solved. But if even one person does, then everyone has to offer it.
    Tech support is like a loss leader. If they didn't have it, less people would be willing to connect beacuse there's nowhere they can turn to, to sort out any problems.

You'll notice none of the tech support lines are freephone :)

Advertisement