Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor insurance problems

• 24-10-2000 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭

Right, I'm a bit of a motor insurance newbie, so here goes....

I'm having a bit of bother gettin' me motor
    insured and I was wondering if anyone has come across a similar situation before.

The car I'm driving (a 94 Mazda MX-3 1.5L std engine, jap import)
    has been insured for the past year on a policy whereby I'm the named driver. I've decided to get me own policy but the fuggin' insurance companies keep telling me that I'm driving a performance car, which is, quite frankly, ball licks. I'm 26 with a full licence, 3 years exp. as a named driver and they tell me to move along. Not happy. The co's in question will not divulge why they have placed this particular vehicle into the 'performance' category which makes me even more annoyed. Even the 'least strict' insurance co's are tellin' me I've got to be over 30 to drive this yoke.

Can anyone clarify this 'performance vehicle' categorisation? Its not as If I'm drivin' a bleedin' Subaru Impreza 2.0i Turbo ffs!

ta

Fing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I would have thought a 1.5L would get cheap insurance.
    Other things they could be taking into account: 16-valve? how many cc's?

Ngh, Insurance co's over here won't be happy until everyone's driving Toyota Starlets and hiace vans. frown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

(a 94 Mazda MX-3 1.5L std engine, jap import

theres your problem
    mx-3 is classed as a sports car. standard engine...? no such thing. 1.5 is a big engine for a little lad like you. thats what the insurance companys say anyway.
    saw a program last week that said the average price of insurance was 400+ quid. i dont know a single person who is insured as low as this. bit sus id say. anyway, back to subject. the mx-3 is classed as a sports car and thats why if you do get insured iot will be about 3000+pound. friend of mine bought a mx5 about 2 year ago. it was 7 or 8 years old at the time. he had a full licence for about 6 years, but was only 24. 4500 quid is what they were looking for (PMPA) and they were the only company that would touch him.
    i think the revolution is starting thou, and i know who will be against the wall in the coming months. the government is already looking into the whole insurance issue and hopefully they will get it sorted.
    mind you, im insured for free on my girlfriends car being over 25 with a full licence. last year as 3rd provisional holder it was 400 quid a year and that was 3rd party only. makes you wonder what has really changed? i passed a dod*** test and thats it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Ring One direct your talking in and about the following
    Comp £1400
    TPF&T £1200
    On the good side it doesn't seem to get classed as a sports car (unlike a Suzuki Cap which is only a .7L car) on the down side you would need 3 Named Driver Experence years were as you only have one but ring and try your luck (you might have to push them on it). Good Luck

Kayos

Sorry I see you have 3 are they continus years ??

[This message has been edited by kayos (edited 25-10-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Norwich Union would take you... they seem to be the only crowd that take Group 6 cars at a reasonable (if you could call that) rate.. Im paying 2k for a 2.5ltr V6.. acceptable..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Carole Nash Insurance Consultants Ltd
    CX House,Corn Exchange Place, Dublin 2.

Ph 6369191

You may be pleasently suprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Thanks for the info lads, I'll give some of the companies mentioned a shout and let yehs know what the outcome is.

Cheers

Fing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

The price of insurance in general is far too high in this country. You needn't even consider being the named policy holder of a car unless you're over 21 frown.gif A few people I know have gone up north and taken up that Ford offer of 3 years free insiurance on a new Fiesta for about 7 grand. Even when you take sterling into account that 7 grand would barely cover 3 years insurance in a decent car for a 17 year old down here frown.gif

I am inflatible !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

a Mazda MX-3 _is_ a sports car, yes its the small engined version u have, but its hardly a micra or a corsa now is it smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

the price is high but there is a large resion for it bad driveing, over 50% of drives in ireland have never passed there test. you can drive around as a provisional driver and never pass your test.
    england has have a driveing test from 1947 over 50 years, most drivers in ireland are bad we have 4 time the number of deaths on the road per car than england. you can start saying the roads are bad etc etc. but 99.9999% of road accents are from bad driveing, not bad roads. just people driveing wrong (ie. too fast for the road) on roads.
    the cost of insurance is high becose most drivers are a danger to everone on the road.
    21 with 3 years full licence driveing
    230E mer (2.3)
    £700 named driver

Coyote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭OctaviaN

Well your problem is you live in Dublin!!
    House £300,000 car insurance "move along pls"
    smile.gif
    Move to the West!!!
    More relaxed atmosphere ppl dont run around trying to eat there lunch and get to work cos of an almost "traffic lights for pedestrians" situation!

Im 24 and a 95 BMW 320i coupe £2500 3rd party Fire and theft (6 cyl, 24 Valve, 1996cc rwd).
    Hibernian 7years full 2knocks as named driver years ago now have 5 yrs NCB.
    But yeah the MX- series of mazda cars are performance classified y not an F coupe there nice 1.5l??
    Oh and Houses are cheaper at the mo!

mmmmmmm 24 valve vrooooooooooooooooooooom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Bad roads + Bad Drivers makes it too easy to leave those fsckin insurance companies off.

Drivers ? Some fsckup guy in one of those "hot hatches" infront of me spots a nice parking space that he's just gone passed.
    What's he gonna do ? Just reverse without even glancing at his mirrors. Yep. Sadly, my bike doesnt have a "reverse" gear, and its a bit of weight to try push back at the same rate as he's going, beeping the horn to no effect. Luckily, the git stopped before he hit me. No L plates, full licence holder, come on.

Coming back down from dublin the other day, I like what they've done to the road in castledermot, cut big grooves in it making it difficult to steer anything other than a tractor, hey maybe thats what we should all
    be driving anyways. Sorry for the rant, em, very sorry, (oh and stick a "Severe Adverse Camber" warning sign on just about every road...)

Apologies again, for the rant, but these things happened to me in the last 2 days, the amount of dumb people i've encountered on the roads... ah well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Originally posted by dogs:
    "Severe Adverse Camber" warning sign on just about every road...)

Aggreed. You'd think it would be one of the most basic design considerations when building roads but no...... Centrifugel force, whas tha ?

Advertisement