Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending Cheques Abroad

Options
  • 21-10-2003 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

Can I pay for something in another country by sending them a postal order/cheque? I dont want to use Credit Card.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Afaik you cannot send a personal cheque. You can however send a postal order/bank draft if they accept it. What about paypal? Could you use that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Floater

Originally posted by daveg
    Afaik you cannot send a personal cheque. You can however send a postal order/bank draft if they accept it. What about paypal? Could you use that?

While there is nothing to stop you sending a cheque, the bank fees payable by the recipient may make it uneconomic.

You don't say where the other party is based. I would suggest that you ask them if they have a Euro bank account number, and if so to supply you with the IBAN and BIC for their account. You can pay up to about EUR 14,000 to another Euro account with bank charges that vary from free to fifty cents or less.

Floater

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

actually i'm just from my bank talking about this and they told me an iban transfer of any amount would cost 25.39 euro i need to pay for some goods in the uk and don't want to send a sterling draft seeing as if they get lost in the post the banks reckon they can't stop them

ulster bank by the way

must ring head office

but i do know someone who transferred using iban to the uk with aib and a cost of about 70 cent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

If you have the IBAN and the other code, then banks are by law permitted to charge for money transfer within the EU more then for national Money Transfers. I transfer money all the time via AIB to germany, and it costs me 50 cent each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Floater

Originally posted by ednwireland
    actually i'm just from my bank talking about this and they told me an iban transfer of any amount would cost 25.39 euro i need to pay for some goods in the uk and don't want to send a sterling draft seeing as if they get lost in the post the banks reckon they can't stop them

ulster bank by the way

must ring head office

but i do know someone who transferred using iban to the uk with aib and a cost of about 70 cent

The regulations covering maximum bank charges do not apply to payments to bank accounts domiciled outside the Euro currency area.

If AIB provided a transfer to a GBP account for 70 cents, it is almost certainly a bank-specific policy and may only apply to small value payments and/or payments to specific banks.

Floater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Floater
    If AIB provided a transfer to a GBP account for 70 cents, it is almost certainly a bank-specific policy and may only apply to small value payments and/or payments to specific banks.
    BOI have a similar modest charge for account to account transfers. They have a leaflet on how to transfer money available from branches. STG charge are more than € charges (max 50c).

Advertisement