Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic -v- Anderlecht (score)

• 21-10-2003 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I am so angry at the performance by Celtic against a 10 man Anderlecht. When the ref sent the Anderlecht player off he still gave Celtic free's and denied penalty claims by Anderlecht players and I thought he was a great ref. But then Larsson was fouled by the last man in the penaly area and nothing was given. He would have had to send off the defender as he was the last man and he didn't want to be too harsh. Anyway, why would Larsson dive in that position as he would have been through for an easy chance and Celtic haven't even got a confident penalty taker anymore.

Petrov, Lennon and Thompson weren't visible on the pitch in the first half and a lot of the second. Miller should have started for Lennon anyway never mind bringing him on for the last ten minutes. Lennon hasn't done a lot for Celtic and he never will. He tries to be a holding midfielder like Roy Keane and he gives short passes when he can easily give better passes or run (or walk) with the ball.

If only Miller had scored that easy enough chance it would have made my day. I am happy that Bayern and Lyon drew as we can still win the group. I can't believe Celtic, just like Ireland, have been given a huge life line as Bayern have drawn there last two matches so it leaves the group more tighter.
    Here's the group now:

Group A Pld Pts
    Bayern 3 5
    Lyon 3 4
    Anderlecht 3 4
    Celtic 3 3

Luckily Celtic have have 2 home matches left and we rarely lose at Parkhead.

This is what the group will look like if we win the last three matches and Bayern win their two home games:

Celtic 12
    Bayern 11
    Lyon/Ander 7
    Lyon/Ander 4

This is my prediction:

Celtic beat Anderlecht. Celtic beat Bayern. Celtic lose against Lyon.

Bayern beat both Anderlecht and Lyon.

Anderlecht-v-Lyon is the hard one.

If ALecht beat Lyon: ¦ If Lyon win:
    ¦
    Bayern      11           ¦Bayern   11
    Celtic       9            ¦ Lyon   11
    Lyon        7            ¦ Celtic    9   
    Anderlecht  7            ¦ Anderlecht  4

No matter what happens lets just hope we win all matches.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Celtic lost their shape after the sending off, Thompson contuinely came inside instead of staying wide and stretching Anderlecht.

Martin O'Neill lost the plot slightly by not changing things earlier, even before the goal Anderlecht were creating the better chances.

It will now be a struggle for Celtic to qualify, Anderlect will bw no pushovers at Celtic Park, Lyon would be favourites in France and Byaren would be favourites in Glasgow, it'll take something special now for Celtic to qualify.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Im confident Celtic will win their two home games. The tricky one is in Lyon where they will be going for their last game in the group. If Lyon need to win to qualify Celtic will be really under pressure.

It was more a case of Celtic throwing it away last night than Aderlecht beating them. They had the chances before half time and didnt take them.

In the second half Anderlecht came out with a real desire and worked harder than Celtic. Martin ONeill should have brought on more creative players earlier in the second half like Miller and Maloney to put the Anderlecht defence under more pressure.

Lennon is an excellent player when Celtic are playing they way they prefer against good teams. Under pressure and catching them on the break.

When it comes to forcing the play and trying to open up teams that are defending in numbers, then you need the more creative players.

Still confident of qualifying though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

ive moaned and complained about this to much since last night and this morning, dont even want to talk or think about it anymore......

I could go on a massive rant, but as i say im sick of doing that now.

i will give 2 words though

disgrace & pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

lennon is a useless player, he's slow, cant pass, cant header, gets himself booked for mothing off to the ref......

varga was a joke last nite missed a sitter and got turned inside-out and back again time and time again by aruna. they played with 2 upfront and still managed to hold it up and get shots in with 10-men.

celtic home wins are about the safest bets in football, i fully expect them to beat anderlecht and bayern at home. lyon away isnt a daunting prospect, i wouldnt expect them to lose there anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I read in a newspaper today that a Lyon win laqst night would have been better for Celtic because Bayern will definitely win the group and we don't want to go to Lyon with them needing a win for qualification.

I totally disgree. Lyon's next two matches are away to Bayern and Anderlecht where they will be lucky to get a point which means we will go to Lyon with them having no chance of qualification. Anderlecht-v-Lyon is the most important match that we aren't involved in and we have to hope for an Anderlecht win or a draw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement