Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband ?

• 22-10-2003 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭

Anyone here got NTL broadband ?

A mate of mine has IOL and it's great, but the NTL stuff appears to be cheaper (always on 600 at 40Euro a month), although I don't know how it compares.....

Anyone here tell me how it rates against IOL, or Eircom etc.... ?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NTL cable is significantly better then IOL BB.

IOL BB:
    512k downstream
    128k upstream
    48:1 contention
    8GB cap per month
    e49.99 per month

NTL:
    600k upstream
    128k downstream
    20:1 contention (this is much better then 48:1).
    30GB cap per month (not a hard limit, it is flexible)
    e40 per month

NTL is much better then IOL BB, unfortunately it is only available in a very limited number of areas in Dublin. Therefore most people can't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Blue Ice

IOL is a good service, and if your only option is DSL - it would be my choice (cheaper than Eircom and double the cap)
    but ntl is not only cheaper but it is also faster, with lower contention ratios and higher caps 8gig Vs 30gig per month.

I have the ntl myself and it works well, my average connect speed is about 550kbs my friend has IOL and his average connect speed is 450kbs.

The big issue with ntl is availability - it is only currently available in Lucan, Crumlin kimmage and Tallagh.

What are do you live in?

Blue Ice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Well thats me stuffed. I live in Waterford (which is and always has been an NTL cable area, I call them and ask them)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

NTL are great when things are working, cos you don't actually deal with them, and everything ticks over like it should. But when something goes wrong, you have to actually communicate with them, then you are completely f*cked. They are the worst company to deal with in the history of companies. I am not exaggerating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

They don't do it in Waterford. Not for at least another 10-12 months ! Although, they did tell me that when I moved here in July 2000 that it would be available by september 2000 and sent me out an application form. Still waiting.......

IOL here I come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 X4

i totally agree with Spockety.

i have had some history dealing with their CS team.

that was absolutely a nightmare. and you just can't believe the

ineffiecency of their work.

what's more, the 40euro sale a month is acutally in addition to

your NTL telly pack. if you don't have that now , you've got to pay

around 15 euro extra. or your'll have to pay for the extra point

for installin' in your own room apart from your NTL telly service in

your living room.

p.s. NTL is also available in Templeogue Area D6W, so if you live

there, Congrats! you will just have a chance to deal with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

it is only currently available in Lucan, Crumlin kimmage and Tallagh.

I'd like to disagree. Even though that big advert has been driving around my neighbourhood for a while now, NTL have firmly (read: some ignorant bitch) told me that I don't have two way cable. Now I asked an engineer who was around my area and he says that the entire area has two way cable.

This really makes me p**sed off.
    BTW I live in Kimmage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

NTL is definitly the best broadband provider, but the CS people have no training beyond "are the lights flashing on your modem"

X4 "the 40euro sale a month is acutally in addition to your NTL telly pack"

I don't have there telly pack so how come I got NTL broadband ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

as far as NTL CS goes, forget it. even the TV CS are a shower of idiots. just for a laugh, ring their tech support line in the evening, and I'll be surprised if you get through in less than 35 mins. then ring sales and some smarmy tw@t will have the phone picked up in less than a minute!

get them in the door and then slam (and lock) that fecker right behind them (NTL Motto).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i've never had problems with their technical support. they even rang me back when they said they would!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

God bless em, they owe billions coz of all those vans they bougth:p
    When my box was bein hooked up, the guy was rantin that he was overworked and underpayed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭irlhost

Off topic but can you help.

My NTL modem, which is the old TERAYON as I have been with them 2 years has stopped working. The little green light for PC no longer lights up :rolleyes:

I have been on to NTL and still waiting for a call back.

Anyone know if I can try anything ? ?

Try use the USB port instead of the Ethernet port and see if it works that way?

If you're using Ethernet, try change your network card, it could be THAT that's banjaxed rather than your modem..

J.

Originally posted by spockety
    Try use the USB port instead of the Ethernet port and see if it works that way?

If you're using Ethernet, try change your network card, it could be THAT that's banjaxed rather than your modem..

J.

I have been using the USB port - I have tried changing the USB cable and changing the computer :D - but notting.

And still waiting on a call back from NTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

usb has been responsible for so many cable modem problems. try ethernet

Originally posted by carrotcake
    usb has been responsible for so many cable modem problems. try ethernet

I will give it a try, but this is my home computer which doesn't have a network card.

My Laptop does have a network card but the NTL connection is for home use - ie. also when I'm at work. And I dont have a network cable at home, but I will try it :(

A guy from NTL sent me a email but I am now waiting 8 days for support.:(

Well done NTL

Since posting here I have had two telephone calls and a technician call out to the house and replace the modem.

Well done NTL
    :D

Pretty impressive, only took me 6 months to get them to do something about this......

(That's pinging the first hop out of my hosue..check out the percentage of lost packets...... EVERY NIGHT... FOR SIX MONTHS.. AGGHH.. must.. stop.. reliving.. the .. pain..)

Reply from 80.6.228.254: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=254
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 80.6.228.254: bytes=32 time=207ms TTL=254
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.