Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elliot Smith dies... is this true?

Options
  • 22-10-2003 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Just read it...

sick joke or fact?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

http://www.sweetadeline.net/

the official site seems to be be getting hammered but the title bar shows goodbye eliot.

guess its not a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Just checked it out on N.M.E.

Quite a shock. Wasn't really a huge fan or anything but it's sad to hear of the passing of someone with so much talent. Loved his song Waltz #2

He'll be missed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

All of his albums were great :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

who is Elliot Smith. name sounds familiar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

He's probably most famous for doing a lot of songs for the good will hunting soundtrack, but his albums are some of the best easy listening albums ever made, sounds quite like paul simon back in the day.
    Check out his albums:

"either/or"
    "XO"
    "Figure 8"

Not a good day for music

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

yeah ALL his albums?

what about roman candle and self titled "elliot smith"

but shhhhh before he starts getting wrong phrase attributed to his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

ahhh fckit anyway
    my day was going good today

fvckit fvckit fvckit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

i know...i was devastated when i heard...been a fan for a good few years now, and was looking for3ward to album number six

rest in peace elliott

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Dissapointing. Only 34 Years old. Seems they think he commited suicide by stabbing himself in his heart.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Just heard tom dunne playing 3 in a row from him while driving home... the he says "Music from the Late Elliott Smith..."
    I couldn't believe it.

First song of his that caught my ear was Ballad of big nothing... so bought Either/Or and never looked back from there.
    I went to see him play a few years back in the Temple Bar Music Centre.. I think it was on my birthday, December 6th.
    He was excellent, though he didn't play 'miss misery' at the time so we was yellin for more ;)

Sadly missed, was looking forward to seeing him/hearing him play more, much more. R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭The Weatherman

i've never actually felt so sad about a musician dying.
    it was a gut wrenching and shocking moment for me when i heard tom dunne mention it and i never realised i would feel
    this way.
    elliott smith was truly brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Saw him play twice in Dublin over the years. Always enjoyed his songs. Between the Bars was one of my party pieces for a while on the guitar.

A sad loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Miss-Misery

I just found out today. thought it was a joke cos my obnoxious ex told me, but oh man. I never got to see him, i got either/or two days after he last played in dublin. We used to listen to him in work all the time and i'm fairly obsessed ( as the name suggests). Its just so damn sad, listening to 'last call'. And its so weird, i just remembered the Royal Tenenbaums, and how 'needle in the hay' was used for the suicide attempt scene.Nih.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

just saw this on NME.com. Very sad, but he poor sod was a serious junkie for years. I guess things just got the better of him. Or his dealer stabbed him for non-payment.

A great talent lost, all the same

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

It sucks ass!

I really liked him but never got to see him play in dublin.
    Just listened to either/or - such a good album.

:(

BM

Advertisement