Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elliot Smith Dies... is this true?

Options
  • 22-10-2003 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Sick joke or fact?

terrible news

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

this is terrible!!!!
    that guy was great!!!
    SH!T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

thats awful.

a rare talent he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

Very sad. I saw him a few years back in the TBMC. Very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

According to NME he may have taken his own life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Very sad ive only got 2 of his albums but they are both very good bloody great voice.
    A musician killing themself who could have imagined?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

:eek: I can't believe it.... One of those rare musicians I really cared about! Truly sad....

(is this how my mum felt when John Denver died?!?!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭The Weatherman

i didn't realise i was capable of feeling so much for a musician.
    he was truly remarkable. his music really touched the soul.

will there be a tribute this weekend on phantom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Miss-Misery

Just such a loss, all his albums are so amazing. I've been obsessed for years and now i'll never get to see him live. Listening to roman candle and getting so depressed, argh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

It is very sad and definitely such a loss, I am also surprised at how up set I am at hearing this. He certainly touched my heart.
    He was only 34 Elliott Smith R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭sanvean

And from a knife wound as well. There are easier ways to kill yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 maladroit

Pretty selfish to kill yourself somewhere where only your live-in partner will discover you though. (as she did, according to Seattle Times)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

Selfish...

hmmm well seeing as i know eliott smith and have known him for the last 3 years i personally think he's not a selfish person at all and that he seemed perfectly capable of weighing up his options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

Originally posted by maladroit
    Pretty selfish to kill yourself somewhere where only your live-in partner will discover you though. (as she did, according to Seattle Times)

Yeah you can tell we're dealin' with someone really close to the situation. SHE was just so selfish!

Have dare you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 maladroit

The SHE refers to the live-in partner, not to the musician. (could also have been a HE of course, but that is not the issue - the inflicting of emotional harm on them is).

I stand by my post.

It's bad enough that your partner is going to have to go through the grief and shock, but to do it in a place where it is certan that THEY will be the one to stumble unexpected on the bloody mess - selfish. Far better to go somewhere else, so at least the partner learns about it from the police, with help and support avalable when they do.

Can you imagine what this person sees now every time they close their eyes?

I have experienced this, in my family. I know what the aftermath of the suicide of someone close to you is like. Do you?

Oh hang on, I forgot. He made great music. That means no one is allowed to point out flaws in his behaviour . . .

Originally posted by maladroit
    I have experienced this, in my family. I know what the aftermath of the suicide of someone close to you is like. Do you?

No, but raggamuffin knew elliott smith for the last three years, and apparently knew the most intimate thoughts he was experiencing during his suicide. Which begs the question as to why he was asking on the phantom message board as to whether he was still alive or not.

but to be fair, I read from an article written in the London Times (or the Guardian) from a friend that Elliott Smith had attempted suicide numerous times before, in situations that would have been far away from his live-in partner.

And I think that accusations of selfishness levelled at someone who committed suicide is somewhat facile and pointless. That they committed suicide is evidence that they were more than likely extremely ill people.

Sanvean, You didn't know elliott smith, none of us did ( i don't think...) and why bother saying now it was selfish? why can't we all say his music was great, he meant a lot to us, its sad that he's gone and leave it at that. I realise that suicide is an emotive topic, i've been there in different capacities too, and we just don't know what the situation was with him and his partner. Maybe it was easier for him to think that it wouldn't be some random stranger stumbling across his body, maybe it was easier for her to think that he was at peace, maybe they had discussed this before? ( i am hypothesising to prove a point here, so don't jump down my throat please). We don't know what went through his mind or that of the people close to him, so lets just reserve judgement and remember what he was to us... a truly beautiful musician.

Originally posted by Miss-Misery
    Sanvean, You didn't know elliott smith, none of us did ( i don't think...) and why bother saying now it was selfish?

eh, I was the one arguing against labelling elliott smith as selfish. Also, raggamuffin was incredibly intimate with Mr. Smith over the last three years. Did you read the posts, or just glance over them?

Apologies, Sanvean, that one should have been addressed to maladroit, got the names confused. ditzy is a bit of an understatement.Sorry again.

Advertisement