Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange problem ?????

Options
  • 22-10-2003 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭

Ive recently upgraded to win2kpro, service pack 4 and updates installed correctly and are running like a dream except for one teensy weensy problem.

Every now and then for no reason the mouse cursor will only move left to right onscreen and not up and down, plus theres a white flashing box underneath the cursor, it stays like this for a few seconds and then it freezes the pc completely and I have to restart manually as even control alt and delete wont work.

I have nortons and the fix blast tool from symantec, have run both and they havent found any viruses on the pc

So im a bit stuck to be honest

Any ideas

Shin

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What kind of mouse is it? PS/2, USB, wireless?

(Wireless mice* are a hoot, they go spare if your mobile is nearby when someone rings you. Also when the batteries start to go.)

adam

I refuse to call them "mouses". It's just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

try removing the mouse driver and rebooting to let windows replace it.

other than that, you might want to try another mouse, maybe a PS/2 one if you have USB or visa versa if you have the other one already (if you know what I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

Soz bout that

its a logitech optical usb mouse, tried the driver thingy, windows has detected it as a HID compaitble interface device

Same thing

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

the same thing happens to me... but ive never looked into it. just figured is was a w2k quirky type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

ole shin feels like an idiot, actually no scratch that shin is an idiot, you see i figured the whole thing out at last, im typing now from a fully functional machine, mouse and all

WOO HOO

You see I never put me thinking cap on LOL, i discovered my front side bus speed was set incorrectly, so a quick jumper whip off and placing it in the correct place has solved me probs altogether

Now will someone please come round my gaffe and slap me with a wet kipper for about 10 hours

Really and ruly idiotic

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Could be the SP4, i know that it really screws up DUN connections and a few people Ive talked to say its full of bugs..

try uninstalling it and restorting back to SP3...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

Does your mouse need Drivers ?:)

Advertisement