Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Racing. A Discussion on the Rules

Options
  • 22-10-2003 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

While I am sure we will all agree that this month has been a good start (and I know it's not over yet) I, for one, think that the terms of reference should be expanded a wee bit to accomadate some punters. So for next month could I propose the following:

1) Bank to increase from 50 - 70 Points
    2) E/W bets allowed. E/W bets to be 1/4 odds for 2nd and 3rd no 4th placings
    3) Doubles allowed. No Trebs or Tricasts
    4) Replenishing of the bank allowed from profits. This will mean that everybody gets a winning chance. For example. This month carbsy was out after a week, or so, despite have 20+ points in the bank. And it's not as if he can carry them over to the following month.

I know you made the point that it would mean the management of the bank harder. But I could/would design a spread sheet which could quite easily cater for this.

What do ye think?? Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Fine. I'm cool with the above.
    I don't agree with it (my inhibitions have been adequately noted in previous postings ............ maybe I'm a Minimalist in believing in the principle of KEEP IT SIMPLE ), but I am conscious that the majority of forum members want an expansion such as this. So I wholeheartedly endorse, etc, etc.

QUOTE_____________________________________________
    I know you made the point that it would mean the management of the bank harder. But I could/would design a spread sheet which could quite easily cater for this.

Last thought ............... you can expect a few questions/qualifications regarding these rules update. First one (from me) are E/W doubles allowed? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Yea. I'll do the tracking (Hopefully with your help PRO;) ) No on the E/W Dbls, is my opinion, but lets leave the vote open until say, the end of this month?

Originally posted by Hobart
    Yea. I'll do the tracking

De Blessin's o' God on ya ............. t'will be a nightmare, what with doubles and profit roll-ups etc.

Yer a brave man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

It's funny when I mentioned something like this last week it reminded someone about "seven foolish virgins"!?

I'm in favour of increasing the bank to 70 pts. And also using you points, I mean profits, to stay in the game longer - it might hold out the hope that folks like Hobart might lose the lot on a sure thing that doesn't come in (or a number of sure things that don't come in, in Hobart's case).

I'm not really in favour of the E/W option - it might make this hard to calculate and so to administer. But if we go down that route, why not include Place bets.

Also, we need to define what 'doubles' mean - I for one am not sure what it means.

Overall I'm in favour of anything that is easy to play and easy to administer, and it is fun at the same time

No need to be throwing the rattles out of the pram there now PHO1. What you suggested earlier in the month was in the middle of the game and would have been viewed as moving the goal posts. E/W bets will be calculated on a 1/4 basis. Easy formula. e.g

2 pts e/w on a horse at 4/1 costs me 4pts
    If the horse wins I get 10pts back (2pts at 4/1 and my original 2pt stake)

If the horse finishes 2nd or 3rd I get 4pts back. (2pts at one quarter the odds i.e. 1/1 and my original stake back)

Doubles are easy.

You back 2 Horses in one bet (No e/w as it would be a nightmare.)

So 5pts bet on 2 Horses. 1 Running at, say 15:00. The other at 15:30 (Time does'nt matter).

If the first horse wins at 2/1. Welll you have 15pts going onto the second horse. (5Pts at 2/1 and your original stake). If the second Horse wins at 2/1 well you get 30Pts back. However if either horse looses you loose the bet.

This will make the calculating of the profits/bank a little harder, but it will also expand the possibility of a bigger swing on a couple of berts. Which will make the game more interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

No need to be throwing the rattles out of the pram there now PHO1.
    Me? Pram? Rattle? Never.
    E/W bets will be calculated on a 1/4 basis. Easy formula. e.g

If the horse finishes 2nd or 3rd I get 4pts back. (2pts at one quarter the odds i.e. 1/1 and my original stake back)
    Isn't an EW bet the same as two bets - one for a win and the other for a place. So if the horse wins, you get pts for the win and the place be it first place. Is this right?
    Doubles are easy.

You back 2 Horses in one bet (No e/w as it would be a nightmare.)

So 5pts bet on 2 Horses. 1 Running at, say 15:00. The other at 15:30 (Time does'nt matter).

If the first horse wins at 2/1. Welll you have 15pts going onto the second horse. (5Pts at 2/1 and your original stake). If the second Horse wins at 2/1 well you get 30Pts back. However if either horse looses you loose the bet.
    Hmmm that's interesting. I'm looking forward to playing that.

This will make the calculating of the profits/bank a little harder, but it will also expand the possibility of a bigger swing on a couple of berts. Which will make the game more interesting.
    Fair play to ya for volunteering.

Originally posted by PH01
    Isn't an EW bet the same as two bets - one for a win and the other for a place. So if the horse wins, you get pts for the win and the place be it first place. Is this right?
    Yep. The penalty being that it caost you twice as much as a straight or on the nose bet. So a 2Pt e/w bet costs you 4PTS.

Not being pedantic or anything, but........... shouldn't the return be 14 points?

If the first horse wins at 2/1. Welll you have 15pts going onto the second horse. (5Pts at 2/1 and your original stake). If the second Horse wins at 2/1 well you get 30Pts back.
    In the real world you'll get back 45points. Two 2/1 winners paired is a 9/1 double including stake returned.

True. Sorry. My mistake. 15@ 2/1 = 45 returned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

i think that it is a great idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement