Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I choose a laptop?

• 22-10-2003 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

I'm a simple eejit that does not understand most of this tech stuff. But I can't find any way of comparing different laptops which might suit me.

If I go to a shop they shove whatever they have on me. If I go onto a vendors site they are much too complicated, the range is immense and impossible to compare, they don't answer my basic questions and they often don't price in Euros.

So how do I find a light, reliable, good value, laptop which will work on my wireless lan, has a read write CD drive and MS Office software installed?

Is it true that light laptops are unreliable 'cos their fans tend to burn out?

Any help or signposting appreciated

Confused Vinny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If you are gonna be carrying it around alot and weight is an issue, go for a light laptop but performance may suffer to inprove battery performance and cost will increase.

If you want to play games, weight issues and battery life can be ignored as it gonna be plugged in most of the time.

What exactly will you be doing with it so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Yeah I'll be carrying it around - foot, bike, trains ..
    So I realy do care about weight.

Me not a gamer (so far)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Ultralight

Toshiba Portegé range, lovely stuff, 3 year warranty as standard fan their problem.

Dell have a lightweight latitude range, also 3 year warranty,

After that its price and screen size, 15in is about optimum but 14in OKish, no less than that though if you want 1024x768 Res

They will all offer CDRW and Ms Office OEM upgrade options.

The portegé is not in the shops, it comes from Tosh Dealers instead.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

www.whatlaptop.co.uk

go to their forum there are lots of people who will help you choose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

if you want it for office, internet and cd burning - then u don;t need top spec, or need to pay top price. Dell occasionally do good deals on premade laptops in the press. The new apple ibooks are incredibly small and light - on sale in some pcworlds - not too expensive either (don't know about cdr - its probably an option).
    As a rule of thumb a microsoft OS laptop - look out for:

at least 256mb ram
    processor with Mhz above 1000 - or above 1ghz
    Windows 2000 pro, or Windows XP
    hard drive above 20gb

• Advertisement
Advertisement