Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Speed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Yeah newspeed.exe is nothing new, working in the computer manufacturing area...we used to get generic processers in @ 233 and flash the BIOS and used newspeed to make them run @ 266, quite a nice program, unfortunatly is no good for my PIII 550 *shrug*. I must check if I have it at home anywhere on an old BIOS flash disk. ...that is, if any of you people are interested in checking it out...I can't see it doing anyone here any good tho...*shrug*

sunglasses.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

The version I've found claims to work for PIIs, and there's still plenty of those floating around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hmm 233 to 266 with a pentium mmx gets you a whopping 6% increase in benchmark tests.
    not really worth it smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

dan youre URL doesnt work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭mobius

Where can I download a copy?

Get muppited at:
    http://www.gibworld.com/mobius

• Advertisement

Yes the url works...

reprint anyway...
    The Register has learnt today of a piece of Intel software, run from the DOS command line, which can make chips run at twice the speed.

The software, called NEWSPEED.EXE will push processors up to the limit.

The software is designed for OEMs and Intel staff themselves, one of whom said he had used it on a 450MHz processor, overclocking it to 550MHz for a year, without anything falling over.

We understand that several hardware sites across the world already have copies of the Intel software, and are testing it.

Intel's production line makes same family processors and grades them at speeds they think they will perform well at. The fabs typically give some headroom for processors.

But the software, which Intel will not release publicly, takes advantage of that headroom to push up clock speeds. ®

Anyone got a PII they'd want to try it out on?

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

anyone got a copy of the program to test out on a PII?

www.atcomp.cz/podpora/CPU/Intel/Util/NEWSPEED.EXE

Doh!
    That site has slashed the link

[This message has been edited by Regi (edited 20-08-99).]

HTTP Error 401
    401.3 Unauthorized: Unauthorized due to ACL on resource

could that be why they slashed it? Password required. sad.gif

Hey Folks, I've gotten onto some old friends in a certain computer manufacturer which shal remain nameless, and have aquired newspeed.exe again, (I used to have it at home, but I lost it!), anyone who wants it today can email me @ lucutus@ireland.com and drop their email addy...I'll send it on...

Lucutus of Borg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

have you tried it yet?

And was it much good? smile.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    DK 0wns U

stoopid double clicks smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Chaos (edited 20-08-99).]

Yep, works on PII boards (or at least it did!), has speeds from 233 to 300, I think...it's been a while...*shrug* ...I'll try running it now and get back to yah...

...if I don't f*ck up this puter, that is! wink.gif

Lucutus of Borg

exactly how does it work? I mean, how does software increase hardware performance?

Oh dear, it's not a valid WinNT Application...and I'm screwed if I'm rebooting this system with it's millions of mapped network connections...all with different passwords...

...best thing to do...email me, I'll send it on...try it out yerself...

you have to specify the speed after running the exe e.g. 'newspeed 333' so without the 333 it should, (like any good DOS exe), give a few lines about itself. or else try /? *shrug*

Lucutus of Borg

Basically, it's like a BIOS flash, only for your processor, pretend it's overclocking, only your PII processor doesn't need 16 fans around it to keep it running stable.
    How do you think Intel actually SET the speed of their PII chips? the actual processors are all the same, kindof. They just slot into the catagories that best suit them, 233, 266, 300, 333.
    In order for your BIOS to pick up a PII 333, there has to be instruction on the chip itself to TELL the BIOS what it is, and then to run at that clock speed. I think NewSpeed sets this flash thing on the processor itself.

That's my best guess, and if I'm wrong, Hey, it was two years ago, A guy can remember everything about Hardware! (And besides, my head is buried in Case statements!)

Lucutus of Borg

Eh, can't, can't remember everything about hardware...

...ffs, my head really is fried!

wink.gif

Lucutus of Borg

and this util has what advantages over say softfsb?

I don't even know what softfsb is! wink.gif

All I know is that OEM manufacturer's used this to get their Intel processors up to 'speed' ot on stage, namly when the PII first came out...if it works to upgrade anything else, fantastic, if not, who cares? *shrug*

There should be more technical info about newspeed.exe as interest increases...

Am interested in this, softfsb, tho!

Lucutus of Borg

softfsb does the exact same thing.
    overclocks the motherboard and chip.
    and has a lovely windows interface smile.gif
    mind you it melted two of the computers in college they didn't like running at 462 from 350.
    still it seems to be a lot better than newspeed...
    http://2295205634/~%64%6f%6f%6d%67%6f%64/%62l%33%33%74/sfsb16b3.exe

• Advertisement

Ah, I see! Well, I'll grab that and have a look too so! Although I can't see the Intel newspeed program doing anything if the processor isn't compatible with the program, if you know what I mean...

...then again, I could be talking complete and utter shoight.

|)

Lucutus of Borg

no it doesnt ken..
    softfsb will only work if youre motherboard supports it , ie. if youre motherboard can run at those speeds anyway

softfsb's only real purpose is that you dont need to reboot to change ure FSB

as for how intel set the speeds on their chips, they have set multipliers on the chips, set by fuses , they blow certain fuses to give the desired multiplier.. the only way to change the speed of these mulitiplier locked CPU's is to run the whole motherboard (and hence the system) at a higher speed

maybe before the fuses were blown at the intel fabrication plant you could set the speed using software (you can, because basically youre just changing the multiplier on the motherboard which you could do from the bios anyway)

i doubt this program will work on my system (im willing to try it out), cos i have a multiplier locked chip
    unless i have some way of rejoining those fuses which were blown (theyre actually inside the chip as far as i know, so theres no real way to rejoin them)

ill try it on my system and post results here..
    if its got a virus in it somebody will die

oh yeah.. softfsb is availiable at www.h-oda.com

LOL i ran that yolk and i tried set it too 333 from 300 but it set it too 133 lol, sok now i got it baq too 300 thank ****ing god smile.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    DK 0wns U

Dan can you mail me that program please, thanks

samreshs@hotmail.com

lucutus, just tried mailing you at lucutus@ireland.com, but got message back .. some error crap.. so if you read this can you mail me a copy of your version please.. thanks

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 20-08-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Creeper

Are you a haX0r Lucutus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

l0 llamaz biggrin.gif

Am I a WHAT? (See, I don't even know what a haX0r is!)

Anyway, I'm off on the beer...later

Lucutus of Borg

me at work, and I don't have access to a machine not on the network. I would like to know if the program works before I even attempt to run it here. I fry a company 'puter and I'm in deeeeeep **** (especially seeing as I'm not in IT)....

has *anyone* run it?

J.

I've just sent it on to 3 people...if any of you can run it, do, and let us know if it works for you.

sunglasses.gif

Lucutus of Borg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭koloth

Advertisement