Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Payne 2 mini review

Options
  • 22-10-2003 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

got my hands max payne 2 the other day.
    Will I tell yous the good news or the bad news first?

:mad: THE BAD NEWS :mad:
    They ruined the bullet time, Its not the the super slow john woo/matrix stuff anymore. Its a lot quicker and sometimes ya cant even tell if its on or not.
    The endless replayabillty of it is gone.

The good news is the game is still good, it feels a lot "fuller" than the last one and the levels are deadly.
    Grahics and sound are so good you can almost smell the smoke and dust.
    The story board thing was writin by some sort of LUNATIC tho, and it dosnt help the game much.

So would I spend 50 squid on it?
    No way , not with the bullet time thingmebob gone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

is it as repetitive as the first game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i thought they changed bullet time so it slows done more for every person you knock off in succession...
    looks to be intact from the gameplay clips i've seen so far:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

50 euros is that the pc retail price?

or is it the "console" (crap) version price

i think 50 euro is the rrp for the pc version but u can get it cheaper on play.com

yeh i've seen it cheaper everywhere online i hope it isn't 50euros cos this is one of the reasons i bought a pc to play cheaper games.

like JK:JA was only 35 euros with symths 10% off card
    while on a x-box you'll pay 60 euros for it.

where as max payne 2 if it's 50 in the shops
    it will be 45 with symths 10% off card
    and 60 for x-box ps2

50 is a bit too much tbh for anyone who hasn't got that card

• Advertisement

well play.com has it for £25(35 euro) that includes free delivery and they show the rrp as £35(50 euro)
    all new pc games are £25 at play.com
    so if u have a credit card u can save alot of cash purchasing online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

OMG! I R TEH WARZ MONKEE & EYE CAN'T REED CHARTORS COS I R TEH STUPID MORON!

Edit by amp: Yellow card IrishMike, next time you're banned.

would u stop it with the warez links how many of yuor posts do i have to report? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Hmmm, seems I did my reveiw a bit too early. About the bullet time.
    I just found out you can shot dodge(dive while fireing) like the first. How was I suposed 2 know they had the shot dodge asigned 2 some obscure hard 2 reach key:confused:
    They made it way 2 fast tho, while is does slow down a bit ,with the more goons ya cap, its still not as cool as the first one:(

And in awnser 2 tuxx, no its not repedative at all. While the first one felt like a technology demo , this one has proper levels filled with...stuff:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Decent reviews can be found at the following locations

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=53545

http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/october03/maxpayne2pc/

http://www.gamersdepot.com/games/action/maxpayne2/001.htm

http://www.gamersdepot.com/games/action/maxpayne2/001.htm

I found the game to be far superior in every way, including the bullet time. The story was great, especialy compared to the ridiculous neverending japanese rpg's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

if bus had taken the time to figure out bulletime has improved 3 fold!

360 degree bullettime..

3 levels of bulletime meter

its a quality game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

This game is the dogs jubbly bits. Best game I've played since quake2 multi player. Gwan the flames whoop. Seriously though, this game roxors. The atmosphere is class. They way you can interact with stuff and all (get your finger out valve).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭gimme

tis okay.
    nothing spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Havkok.
    Engine.
    ****ing.
    Owns.

Plus, beating the **** out of everything in a room with the butt of your gun.

BLiss. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Just picked it up today and after playing the first half hour i have to say im well impressed, so far so good :)

Cost €45 in game with a loyalty card anyway back to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

The only downside is that the game is super short. You'd finish it in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

absolute class, interaction with scenery is great and the AI is way better than the original. The bullet time is improved as well.

Can't wait to see what the what the mods are like for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I loved the first one, so I think I will get my hands on this sometime soon. The havok physics is sure to provide hours of fun for the easily amused. Like me.

Anyone seen the somethingawful.com review of MP2? It gave me a few laughs.

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1745

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The story was great, especialy compared to the ridiculous neverending japanese rpg's.

A line created by praetorian for the sole purpose of annoting me :D Maybe you could comment if you actually played an Jap RPG.

Anyway the game is basically the same as the first one with different levels. If you liked the first one you will like this. If you hated it, like I did, Then you will hate this as well. Bit of a love-hate game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Anyway the game is basically the same as the first one with different levels. If you liked the first one you will like this. If you hated it, like I did, Then you will hate this as well. Bit of a love-hate game.
    nah, you've just got crap taste in games

• Advertisement

the havok system is great in this game and it really fits in so well.

in the first level they show it off well with this bit
    three barrels sitting on a ledge, u shoot them they fall down much like hl2 tech demo

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Hi,

I've got an Athlon 2800+

1.5 Gig of RAM

and a

64MB GeForce Mx 440

Those of you who have played it do you think my machine would cope or do I need a new graphics card?

Thanks

also I found the game for 17.99 sterling at

http://www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/MX2_co_uk_PC_Action___Adventure_Games_238.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Excellent.

/me orders

play are still charging about 27 sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Originally posted by cosgrove80
    Hi,

I've got an Athlon 2800+

1.5 Gig of RAM

and a

64MB GeForce Mx 440

Those of you who have played it do you think my machine would cope or do I need a new graphics card?

Thanks

also I found the game for 17.99 sterling at

http://www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/MX2_co_uk_PC_Action___Adventure_Games_238.html

I belive they are out of stock. They have a tendancy to take ages to get stock back in (especially if they are selling at a reduced price). Give them a call before ordering would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by cosgrove80

Thanks

It runs fine on my 900Mhz / 256mb RAM / Prophet Kyro 4500 system so I'd say you'll have no worries.

I like the game so far, but I've a horrible feeling I'm nearly finished after playing it for just ~3 hours yersterday :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

havent had time to really play this as ive been working all weekend, going to be giving it a proper bash today, but what i saw of it so far it looks the bees knees.

Only thing i cant stand is that poor max looks like richard hillman out of coronation street LOL

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by bus77

So would I spend 50 squid on it?
    No way , not with the bullet time thingmebob gone.

the old bullet time switched from mouse right-click to shift as far as i can see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

Most excellent game, story story story! And the graphics are awesome, even on my rig (xp1700, gf4mx440, 512meg ram).

Bullet-time rocks, plot is great, and there's apparently a cheat for seeing Mona nekkid... yes!!!!!!!!

BTW got it in smythes for about E39 without a loyalty card...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

i got it in gamesworld for 40 squids

shin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

U can buy stuff for squids now? what if u wanted to buy a squid? Im confused!
    /me takes sum anti-depressants

Ahhhhh there.... we... go.

Advertisement