Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about phone line

Options
  • 22-10-2003 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Moved into a new place recently and tried connecting to the internet from upstairs using a 50 foot lead going to a phone socket downstairs but i keep getting a no dial tone error although if I connect a phone to the same lead it works fine. Ive moved the pc down beside the phone socket and used a 3 foot lead and it works fine. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

lead came with UK phone and is UK spec, do the two centre wires have the same colour at both ends ? Look closely at the very centre of the plugs, normally they are red and green but thats a convention.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Also, all else failing, snip the outer two wires on the long lead. You can either do that by carefully cutting through the outer sheath, or if you have a crimper just cut the plug off and recrimp a new plug with just the inner pair.

Not sure why, but some modems get upset if all four wires are connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bez

The longer lead is the exact same one I was using for two years in my old house without any problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bez

the two centre leads are red and green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

if the wiring on the short cable is the same arrangement then there is a problem with the long cable itself. If the shorter cable swaps outside to inside pair you must redo one end of your long cable to do same, see point 4 about that.

1. Can you plug a phone into it (are there crackles or is it quiet as in TOO quiet)
    2. Does it pass an electrical heater...interference ...along its 50 foot run, think about what may interfere and avoid it.
    3. Is it damaged?
    4. A roll of telephone cable (2 pair = 4 wires) costs €10 for 100Meters and the crystals at each end cost €0.25 , buy them in the local electrical wholesaler and make a new cable up or get your local computer shop to do it for ya for €5 as they can do it in about 5 minutes. New lead = €15.50 and loads of spare cable left over unless the shop buys it off ya :D

HTH

M

• Advertisement
Advertisement