Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win XP on Win2k SBS server

Options
  • 22-10-2003 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Here is one for you all, i have come across this problem, a new pc with XP no SP's, They store all their docs on the server. They have problems opening and saving docs to the server. I have sped office XP and regged both XP and Off XP. I have even given the user full rights to the server. Every so often They save a doc on the server they have just created it gets a file permission error. I am now convinced it has something to do with XP hooking up to a Win2K SBS edition. They had NT and it worked fine. is it worth sping XP, is this a known issue with XP and WIN2kSB, they have admin rights on the local pc as well. pls help, its wrecking my head

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I came across this a few weeks back with XP Pro and Win2k SBS, it was a permissions thing in the end.

Someone installed an app on the PC as administrator with the database from the apps stored on the server, but even though they were giving administrative rights to the PC a few days later they still couldnt write to the database file on the server.

XP holds onto permissions way too much.

What you need to do is first try and take ownership of the relevant docs/directories on the server.

Then check the permissions on it and go to the advanced section under the permissions.... and ensure the permissions are the same in there, chances are that you have to change these too and make sure you pass the permissions down through the files and subdirectories..

It will take sometime to make sure this works as it took me hours to get this right one day...

(im still not fully up to date with XP so im probably not explaining it the best way)

Let me know how you get on..

Tox

Advertisement