Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Course are you in the right one

Options
  • 22-10-2003 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

just wondering who is happy with there courses and the line or work there going into??

You happy with your Course ?? 47 votes

Ya i love my course its perfect
    0% 0 votes
    I'm not too sure its right for but i have come so fare i cantg turn back.....
    42% 20 votes
    Not really just doning it to pass the time going into sometime totally differant when i'm finished
    38% 18 votes
    College blah i go to the university of life
    19% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

This time last year I absolutely despised my course thought there was way too much maths and physics involved which really are not relevant to what we do in the following years I even reapplied to the CAO and in August was offered a fantastic but toally different course to the one I'm currently doing.

In semester two we were finished with the maths and physics and really got stuck into the real guts of what a sports science and health course should be and now I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Comp Sys in UL

love the course :)

only downer is my landlady :(

oh and a comp maths test next thursday morning :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Kaimera
    oh and a comp maths test next thursday morning :eek:
    This isn't with Cliff Nolan is it? I was out of the room in under 4 minutes in that mid-term last year:(

got 100% though:D

Generally happy with my course. Same one as Kaimera, I'm a year ahead. I've still got a tendency to make a balls (read as "getting a B in easy maths modules") of final exams though but do well in interim exams and so on (and lecturers who give extra credits for working out childish puzzles) so they're rather useful for me. LOTS (and I mean /lots/) of projects and assignments this year. Add in to the mix that I'm in a project group that tends to regard Microsoft as close to the embodiment of evil (so we're doing our software engineering project in php/MySQL rather than asp.NET) and sometimes there's a lot to be learned in a short space of time. And my programming's still crap as I've not given it the time required.

It's far more fulfilling than 4 (actually 5 but let's not go there) years of Law and Accounting were (and before people even think of calling me one of those eternal student types I was in the workforce for five years between the last one and this one). I might add on the odd hardware module from comp eng yet (time depending) as there's a heavy emphasis on software in this degree. And there are some rather good new modules being offered in the New Media and English course next year so I'd like to add on two of those in particular.

I'd love to do a degree in economics and maths with sociology thrown in but I'll leave that till later in life and do it part-time. I'm a lazy fecker and like my lie-ins in the morning (and afternoon) so just doing this one reasonably well might be an idea for a start.

sadly yesh..tis indeedi Cliff Nolan sceptre :(

not that he's bad or anything...just...:(

may dig out a LC maths book to pass this exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Kaimera
    not that he's bad or anything...just...:(
    Gotta sit towards the front in his lectures. Makes a big difference (especially as his writing is rather small). He's actually pretty approachable (I didn't start the course until midway through week 4 last year so I photocopied his notes for the end of term exam). I don't know if Jason is still doing the tutorials (chap with red hair) but if he is make sure to go to them as he's really good at explaining everything.

And yeah, I used a LC book as well. There are two books in the library called "Foundation Mathematics". One is simply the book for the LC Foundation maths course (which won't be any good to you) but the other one is perfect for most of the module. It's in the teaching resources section on floor 2. Most people don't know that section is there so you should have no trouble getting your paws on it.

• Advertisement

sweet.

ta for the info sceptre. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Psychology in Trinity College, 2nd year. Deffo the course for me. I could never do anything different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I'm in my final year of Applied Computing, tbh I've always found it tough going but I've got this far (in a little bit longer time than most:rolleyes: ) so I'll obviously stay around til the end. The course content is hard but I've been doing decently enough since 2nd year- which was when I got my act together.
    I can always go do something else after the course if I like. In the meantime I'm REALLY going to enjoy my last year in college!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Software Development in DKIT. Really don't know if it's the right course. It's just incredibly boring. But it's a bit too easy at times so I don't go in much (no motivation) which results in me missing a lot :( Damn apathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 limerickbabe

I dont think im happy in my course :)
    Im doin Hotel Management its a load of pants ur expected to lick a##e for crap pay and to work unsociable hrs!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

first year arts in ucd
    irish, archaeology and psychology
    i am loikin it!

tis really interesting, altho there's ALOT of background reading to be done which i dont really have enough time for with meh job.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Computer Science, final year... (last year had a placement year .. *had money* ... )

i am currently suffering from "writers block", with regards writing stuff like design documents etc. (have *no money* now) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

kinda hard to know if the course you are doing is perfect for you as you can hardly experience any other course...
    once your into a course a few years then your stuck with it cos it would be such a waste to chuck it and start fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

I hate it when your given projects which arent equally weighted eg: 2 projects worth 20%, but one is far bigger and time consuming than the other...I just want to finish college, Im sick of exams and projects, the whole studying thing...Ive had my fun.!!!

hertz

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

This time last year, i thought i was in the perfect course for me, (UCD mathematical science) but now im not so sure... 2nd year is the bitch from hell, and i think im failing maths physics at the moment :mad: ive just got so much work to do and im also thinking what im going to get out of this in the end, thinking bout doing a course in computer science when -if- i finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Software Systems NCI, 2'nd year. Not my course. Dropping out. Want to do Business instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Maxthedog02

Hey Ronaldo7, did you leave, and if what are you doing, and how much did it cost to change.
    I was doing Software, have a Cert in it, but took a yr out and am now looking for another course. Does it cost much to change. Wil i have to pay fees for 2 yrs now as i have 2 yrs done.

Advertisement