Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will a Telephone Line Surge-protector affect my DSL

• 22-10-2003 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭

I have a belkin 5 way surge protector which also has a surge protection socket for a phone line. If I plug my adsl modem into it will it help or hider it. I don't want it to get fried by this freakish weather that we're having but i don't want to plug it out either

The way I was thinking of doing it was plug the phoneline into the line in of the surge protector and the filter into the line out, and the modem into that. Does anybody know if this will affect my DSL connection, in terms of stability/speed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

it shouldnt' affect your line at all, the surge protecter acts like a rounter for the line, in case of high voltages it cuts the connection like a fuse does in a plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

just wondering would i have a cause for concern and need to purchase one of these(i live in montenotte, cork city), or is it just a think for people out in the country or something? cuz i know one of my m8's always has to plug out his comp in case of lightening?

also on a similar note, i've wondering about getting like a power box/source (don't really know what its called). Like the ones that when yur electricity goes, either buy someone pluggin in the kettle etc and tripping the switch or othersways, that this kicks in so yur comp stays on and then u can shutdown gracefully without losing anything u might have been working on. Does that make sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

If you run a system or systems that you care about you should have a surge protector, in case of random fluctuations/spikes in the power.

When it comes right down to it, none of these home use surge protectors are going to protect your equipment from a lightning strike, the voltages are too high and it would pass immediately through the SP. For small variations like those that can happen when there is a lot of lightning around they are very good. At least when your lights get a little brighter you know that your comp is ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Tis true about a direct hit .... it'll go through any isolator / surge protector .... for example .. In a place I worked in a good few years back we got a contract to repair phones for €ircúnts ... I was talking to one of the engineers when they were testing a batch of them and he said the more the 5000 phones were killed (or maybe it was more, kinda fuzzy now, was definitely at least 5000) by a single lightning strike on an exchange in the midlands ... every last one of them had its opto-isolator blown, at least 10% had the tracks (traces) on the PCB burned off as well as other damage. That is a hell of a lot of power to do that.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I bet ratcon.net have had lots of phonecalls about dead modems since all the lightning. ISP's always get a rake of calls for a week or so after a decent storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭logistic

Originally posted by suppafly
    also on a similar note, i've wondering about getting like a power box/source (don't really know what its called). Like the ones that when yur electricity goes, either buy someone pluggin in the kettle etc and tripping the switch or othersways, that this kicks in so yur comp stays on and then u can shutdown gracefully without losing anything u might have been working on. Does that make sense?

Uninterrupted Power Supply (ups) or a battery backup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by vibe666
    ISP's always get a rake of calls for a week or so after a decent storm.

True...mainly From muppets who refuse to believe that 1 million volts hitting a device designed for 48 Volts can actually fry it.

"But My phone is alright, it couldn't have been the lightning, it must be yeer fault."

Cork will have lightning around lunchtime, how do I know ?

See Here and Bookmark it for future reference if you live in a rural area. (Well Done Irishwan)

M

Advertisement