Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone get The Strokes' "Room on Fire"?

• 23-10-2003 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

Do plan on getting this record within the next week or so, but was interested in hearing a few opinions for the hell of it. The real question is whether it lives up to the standard of "Is This It?", yet I'm sure it'll be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i havent heard it but i'll probably buy it from the internet this week. Zane Lowe says its brilliant if thats any good to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

hella good but i get the feeling ive heard it all before......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

another short album? i thought Is This It was short :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Originally posted by Mossy Monk

'Is this it' clocked in at around 36 minutes. Nothing wrong with a short album either btw. If I had my way all albums would be sub 50 minutes.

Back on topic I won't be buying the new Strokes LP. Reason? I went to see them at the Olympia last year and was mightily unimpressed with both them and their set. They played 12 songs (didn't even bother with a cover as some filler) and then just ****ed off leaving us going 'is THAT it?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by Oswald Osbourne
    I went to see them at the Olympia last year and was mightily unimpressed with both them and their set. They played 12 songs (didn't even bother with a cover as some filler) and then just ****ed off leaving us going 'is THAT it?'

I can only imagine how short that turned out to be.

Nevertheless, I think I'll get "...Fire" today. It got a good review off Pitchfork and goes for a respectable £7.99 (€11) off play.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Haven't heard it. People give out when bands change their music and they give out when it stays the same!! I liked "Is This It" and if its more of the same I'm happy with that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It’s not as upbeat, with slightly more dreary under tones and lyrics. Only got it today and listen to it once so far, so I can’t really tell how good/bad it actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

They haven't f*cked around, it sounds just like The Strokes.

So if you like the sound of The Strokes, you'll more than likely find something to like about it.

If you dislike the sound of the Strokes... etc

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

it's got the cd-protection thingy on it, i.e. i cant rip it. DAMN. i listen to all my music on my computer and dont like having to have cd's in the drive. is there anyway around it? i heard sumthing about a black marker, but it sounds dodge.

album is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Few brilliant song's - nothing to complain about. Maybe 4 song's are sub-standard but they're still great.

Some brilliant lyric's throughout the album though.

In my opinion, it's about as good as 'Is This It?'. They play around with the guitar a lot more in this album (the sounds-like keyboard part in to 12:51).

Quality album in all. Listening to it constantly over the last 4 day's. Some of the song's have been available live for the last year - 'Meet me in the bathroom' 'Between love and hate'.

ooh, The Strokes (well, two of them) were on Gonzo today, brilliant interview. 12:51 video has been all over the Sky music channel's the last week - quality video - image's take from the ol' Tron movie.

Originally posted by wild_eyed
    it's got the cd-protection thingy on it, i.e. i cant rip it. DAMN. i listen to all my music on my computer and dont like having to have cd's in the drive. is there anyway around it? i heard sumthing about a black marker, but it sounds dodge.

Are you kidding me? I just ordered the album off play.com and I know I'm going to wind up with that crap.

Appearantly, if you hold the "Shift" key on your board while the disc is loading, it will skip the protection and your computer will recognise the disc, allowing you to rip away. However, as far as I know, this only works with certain CDs.
    There is a method using a black marker, but I agree, it sounds dodgy.

CDex rips copy protected perfectly ;)
    (which is surely legal if you are ripping your own cd's, if not could a moderator please delete this)

so no real biggie there at all. i was cursing copy protection when i saw it written on the Sleeping With Ghosts i got a few weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Originally posted by Mossy Monk

i know of some songs that nearly last that long!or maybe it just feels like that!hav only heard the song they relesed as a single,sounds like they just changed the lyrics to the riff they played the entire way thru the first album......damn it tho i still like them for some reason,i feel dirty!!!
    pondered going to see them but they dont sound liiek good value for money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Having lived with it for a few days, I've got to admit it's a decent album. Probably a little more interesting than the first one without sounding too different. Fair play to em.

As for it being too short... well I'd rather have 30 minutes of quality than 78 minutes of mediocrity. How many albums are there that are severely lacking in quality control? There's too much stuff out there with crap filler songs. Just beacuse you can fit 80 minutes on to a cd, it doesn't mean you should put 80 minutes of tunes on an album. Put out good tunes and leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

yeah have to agree with you that 30 minutes of good stuff is better than 10 minutes(2good songs) and 50 minutes of elevator music,but come on it must be 2-3years since their last album.....surely they could have got more than just 30 minutes of quality music......wonder do bands employ quality controllers??wow my study just became a whole lot more interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Really like it , 1 , 2 , 4 ,7 ,10 and 11 are great but ive only listened to the album around three times so rest could grow on meh !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭frood4t2

I just got it... I really like it.

They've just built upon their sound a little, fiddled with some guitars, and slowed down the pace a little on a few songs. I love the Strokes' sound to begin with, and I think they tweaked it for the better. Not that this is a better album than 'Is this it?' cuz i'll have to listen to this new one more to decide.

Recieved the album and, thankfully, there is no CD-Copy Protection. I'll post my opinion soon, but on a quick listen it seems that it will be no different from whats been said here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

The album is enjoyable but at the same time im very disappointed with it. There is very little defferent about this album than "is this it". It shoulda been called "is this is part two". The band does experiment on a few tracks - the reggae influence on 'Automatic Stop' being one - but they've mostly stuck with what they no best.

I really like 'What Ever Happened', with its downbeat lyrics which don't quite match the guitars behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Jusus Christ! Why did you buy the album? Because you liked the first album perchance? And now you're complaning that it's the same as the first one? If you wanted something different, why not choose a different band?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by Ro: maaan!
    Jusus Christ! Why did you buy the album? Because you liked the first album perchance? And now you're complaning that it's the same as the first one? If you wanted something different, why not choose a different band?

Hey man cool it. All im saying its very like the old one and that they could've come up with something new and fresh. But they didnt. If you get too much of something you like, you grow to dislike it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

All I'm saying is that the only reason you got the new album is because you liked what you heard by The Strokes before hand. It's like saying "Ooh! I like the sound of that. I think I'll listen to more from the same artist, and with any luck it'll be quite different from their other stuff." It's easy to find music that's different. There's a whole world of it out there. But it's quite difficult to find music that's similar to what you like.

Advertisement