Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the Q3 servers so empty?

Options
  • 21-08-1999 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Any reason why nobody seems to be playing Q3 on the Irish servers? It's a bummer having to go across to Barrysworld to play, ping can take a severe hit. Have people here given up on the game, or not noticed that servers are 1.08 now, or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

don't u worry yer wee head, they'll soon be chock full o players smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Yes, Q3A Rocks! and those 3 IGN servers should be full of kewl players by the end of the week....

...does anyone know of any other Irish Q3A servers apart from IGN? smile.gif

Lemme know!

Lucutus of Borg

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I need 1.08, anyone got it on cd I couldnt be arsed geting 37 squillon bytes

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭-=Raven=-

Maybe no one goes on it , cuz no one has the latest version , or else thinks its crap.

Its good , but nothing special i think.
    No one is ar$ed.
    nuff said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Malibu Stacey

Don't ask me, I'm just a girl !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

Main reason a lot of servers dont have people

People gavce up downloading a new version every few weeks.

so they told me anyways...

Most now waiting for the final version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Um. Because it blows goats?

Anyone who has played the final of Unreal Tournament gave up on Q3A immediately. Those without copies of UT went off to find something more interesting to do, like Q1 CA, Kingpin or descaling the kettle.

Ja,
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Erisian

Hmm. Well, if you don't like Q3A, obviously you're not gonna play it on the Irish servers - but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people who do like it. As for waiting for the final version, my understanding is that Q3Test 1.08 is the final test version. After that come the demo, which will be a while AFAIK, and then the actual game.

I didn't know the final of UT was out; was this an official release or a not? Also, what exactly makes UT better than Q3A? I know that his could spawn a huge offtopc thread, but I'm interested anyway. In my opinion, Q3A is a very solid, very cool, very well put-together game that is huge amounts of fun, even for people like me who a) are on 33.6s and b) aren't very good at it.

So, are people not playing Q3A because:
    they think it's crap;
    they don't have the latest version;
    they think older games (like QW, or Q2) are better;
    they think other games (UT, Kingpin) are better;
    they can't find other people on the IGN servers to play against?

Answers on a postcard please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

All of the above, I think you'll find.

I prefer UT (as do many others) because it's different. Many of the weapons are new and innovative, and they're all incredibly well-balanced. The physics are solid and have new quirks in them to learn. The levels are beautifully constructed and varied. There are several mods, like CTF and Domination, built into the game.

It's new, innovative, refreshing and a huge amount of fun. Quake3 is more of the same stuff we've been seeing in Quake1 and Quake2.

Ja,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Hmmmmm sunglasses.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭-=Raven=-

Yeah , think Shinji has it down to a tee there.
    But still , I haven't played UT yet , and i think Q3A is right good.
    Everyone to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

1.08 won't be the last test version imho
    if you've been reading the .plans you'll find out they are still are doing a lot of work on preformance and trying to improve the engine...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

and how many have played UT on the net? UT will live or die on its net performance. its all very well playing it on a LAN. q3 is good atm, just got the latest version last nite. it plays well over the net. does UT? the vast majority of poeple haven't seen UT, or played it.

[This message has been edited by ButcherOfNog (edited 22-08-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

im not playing it online cos i get 400 ping in q3 for some reason
    its okay on lan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Arclight

May be the reason that people are not playing on IGN q3 servers is that the can't see them.
    i'm currently using gamespy and it continuously gives me a 9999 ping
    It may be different using Ping tools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Erisian

Arclight said he had problems with Gamespy and the IGN servers; I'm using Gamespy as well, having no problems - the current Q3 servers AFAIK are quake3-1.ign.ie, quake3-2.ign.ie and quake3-3.ign.ie. If you can't see them with Gamespy, try connecting from within Q3 and seeing what happens.

I haven't seen UT, and don't even know where to get it as the official website doesn't appear to have anything in the dl section. It certainly looks good, but the netcode is very important. Also important is the fact that Q3A IMO is extremely good at being a fairly simple, very fun game. There are subtleties, but at base it's easy to just get into playing and kill things. UT seems to be going for a different thing, which is having lots of different kinds of games. That's cool, but I don't know if it will really claim a larger audience. Carmack has said that Q3A is designed for people who just want to pick up the game and start shooting.
    That being said, it's not simple to master or unchallenging. So I tihkn it's a pretty good mix there.

As for 1.08 being the final version, I could certainly be wrong. However, I think Graeme Devine said a while back that they were concentrating on getting fixes / improvements done so that they can release the demo. I wasn't saying the game is finished, just that id appear not to be into putting a lot of effort into getting another test version out before the demo.

But, again, if there _are_ Q3A players out there, try to play on the IGN servers! That way maybe I'll get a sub-200 ping game occasionally...

[This message has been edited by Erisian (edited 22-08-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

Erisian,

Ever want a game send me an email. i'm on the servers most nights at 10.00pm. q3 duel server.

On another note does anyone have the 1.08 crack to convert from demoq3 to baseq3. Thx in advance.

Tom

Advertisement