Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word 2000 question

Options
  • 23-10-2003 10:43am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When im printing a report in word, there is a header with a logo
    that should appear at the top of each page.

However, the text of the header appears, but the logo doesnt.

Its not a very complex logo, just the name of a client in a
    particular font size and type.

However I cant get to appear and its just substituted with an
    envelope...

Ive removed and reinstalled work, all the viewers, extras,
    service packs and updates I can find, but to no avail.

I have to send these reports to other companies with our
    client's logo on them and there are literally hundreds a day being
    done up.. so putting them on manually is not an option..

Anyone any ideas??

Tox

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I'm not sure if the logo is Word-art or an image file, but...
    Its as if Word is using an external viewer to display the logo within the page while you're viewing it at your workstation, yet can't seem to use same said external system to process the image for printing.
    I'd try a different image format, something like the common bitmap... try a few different formats and see if any others work.
    Try re-importing the image into the document using cut & paste, from an image app, usualy works for me.
    It's worth asking if the image is linked or embedded in the document... (or is it? Actually come to think of it, I haven't really given OLE much thought since Win3.1 :eek:)

Hope you get it sorted, sounds an annoying problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does it appear in the print preview ?

If using HP printers - increase the margins at sides and top/bot to 1 1/4 inches - if it then prints OK - blame HP and then install a more generic HP driver eg: LaserJet or DeskJet (the one with no model no)

Also go to www.pdf995.com - it's Ad ware but prints to PDF files - another way of ruling out the printer driver.

Tools - Options - Save - DISABLE FEATURES NOT SUPPORTED BY WORD 97 & Click the box for Always create backup copies, while you are at it. - if it was set to fast save - make a small change to the doc and resave before trying to print again !

If the logo is a graphic
    Check the image type, make a copy of the DOC and delete the image and then check the sizes - I've seen logo's bloat a 10K fax cover to over 1MB and then have printers run out of memory trying to print it....

If the logo is editable text
    Check the printer supports the font - check the printer driver for an option to print as Image or print truetype as graphic.

If you have broadband - download the latest version of www.openoffice.org for the laugh - it's free and it willl give a second opinion of the doc. (70MB)

Check the version of Word - Help About - if it is not SR-1 then you should get update it to SR-1 at least or download the latest service release for Office / Word
    Office updates http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/default.aspx

Manual Links
    Ofice 2000 SP 3 - O2kSp3.exe - 13271 KB (twice the size of openoffice !)
    Note Prior to installing SP3, you must install Office 2000 Service Release 1a (SR1a) Update. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=AF6C8D03-7633-45B4-AB96-795EE656F2A2&displaylang=EN

Office 2000 Resourse Kit
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5C011C70-47D0-4306-9FA4-8E92D36332FE&displaylang=en
    http://eu.microsoft.com/office/ork/2000/appndx/toolbox.htm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Also go to www.pdf995.com - it's Ad ware but prints to PDF files - another way of ruling out the printer driver.

If you have broadband - download the latest version of www.openoffice.org for the laugh - it's free and it willl give a second opinion of the doc. (70MB)

Another reason for OpenOffice is it now exports to .pdf without any issues, oh and .swf :D
    I've given up using MSOffice now I just use Oo....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Or for just Word Processing you could use YeahWrite .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by sci0x
    Or for just Word Processing you could use YeahWrite .
    Won't import Word documents though which is a big hiccup (as well as giving the user shagall control over headers and footers (see original problem) and won't let the user use more than one font in a document (which to be fair won't annoy most users over the age of 12:)))

OpenOffice has that "I can use it on linux and windows for free!, haha" thing going for it too.

• Advertisement

Well, you can import Word files when they are saved in RTF format.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by sci0x
    Well, you can import Word files when they are saved in RTF format.
    Might as well use WordPad then. Have you used Yeah Write!? Do you know how useless it actually is relative to other (non-shareware) products? WordPad is actually more useful unless you want preformatted letters that you just fill in the blanks in. It isn't a solution for anyone who wants to edit headers and footers or have any control over the page numbers. It'd be a fine effort as a college final year programming project but wouldn't be of any use to most people.

Yes i have used it and yes it is pretty ****e. I was just telling people it was available. I would nver use it for word processing myself. I would use it for storing info such as e-mails and addresses of people alright under those headings it gives but thats about it.

Advertisement