Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blown Speakers

• 23-10-2003 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

HOW do you know if your speakers are blown.............besides the lack of noise, is there any other visible signs?

Also is it: possible/ easy/ cheap to get blown speakers fixed.

cheers guys*

*not ment to be sexually discriminitive

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

When a speaker is "blown" there could be several reasons:
    1. a blown capacitoe/resistor in the Cross-over - not visable without opening the speaker and even then - not necessarily.
    Only with a DVM it could be found.
    2. The coil of the driver was over heated (too much power) and usually what happens is that the isolation of the wire is melted and then a shortcut happens - not visable.
    only with DVM after opening the speaker.
    3. Mechanical problem. could happen with certain drivers like servo woofers - not visable.
    3. loose wire inside - not visable.
    4. underpower amp connected to a speaker that caused the amp to go into clipping - usually burnet tweeter.

Most of the problems can be fixed.
    Is it worth it ? depends on what speaker.

What is the problem exactly? how did you find out ? is it one speaker or both not working ? if it's one, did you try to swap them ? if it's both, did you try to connect a different amp/speakers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

cheers for the reply........

I should note that its a ghettoblaster of sorts and a good few years old.
    Its jvc and if its cheap to fix the speakers im intrested otherwise im not. Its basically something that i use while stayin away from home in college cuz its semi portable and has good/volume sound.
    Checked the wires and swapped the speakers to no avail. The sound went a few times before but by pluging it out for a while it usually came back, this time it didn't. I dunno maybe its sick or pissed off with me or something.

Advertisement