Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Justice or not ?

Options
  • 23-10-2003 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

A break from politics, lets examine our judicial system.

Given that we don't know the particulars of the case, its hard for us to comment if this is a fair sentence. However how do you feel given what these young adults (I do accept they are children in the eyes of the law) have done, the pain they have caused the familiar of the bereaved, not to mention the evading Garda and ramming Garda cars. Is this fair justice in your opinion ? is or judiciary doing its jobs

From rte.ie

Two 17-year-old Dublin youths have been jailed for terms of seven years and three years following the deaths of two people in a joyriding incident in January.

During the incident, a car carrying Ross Byrne from Donnycarney and James Daly from Gloucester Place rammed three garda cars and then collided with a taxi after driving through a red light.

The driver of the taxi and a passenger in the stolen car were both killled.

Bynre was disqualified from driving for 20 years and Daly for ten years.

In your opinion, is this justice ? 8 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    62% 5 votes
    Other (comment)
    37% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The amount of semantics and assorted crap in the judicial system has really widened the gap between Law and Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well I voted YES because they were found Guilty and will serve a sentence so Yes that is fair justice.

Now you can debate the sentence being too short but I don't think another few years would have any greater affect on these two youths. I think simply locking people up without treatment or rehab of some sort is just pure stupid and will not solve any problems.

On the other hand if these youths receive treatment and rehab, they may not re-offend, I say MAY.

I'm sure a lot of people will say this is not Justice, but just look at how many cases are either not brought to court or are brought and fail to convict. One example that comes to mind is that of the poor young girl from Limerick that was on the Late Late show recently where she was seriously injured when a car which was involved in gang fewd crash and pinned her to a wall.

MDR your link is not working it has http:\\ twice
    CORRECT LINK: http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/1022/joyriding.html

Advertisement