Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband Midlands To Dublin

• 23-10-2003 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Greetings all. Yesterday evening I attended a demonstration of wireless broadband in Moate Co Westmeath by last mile wireless. (http://www.lastmile.ie). Having seen the demonstration I must say not only was I very impressed with both the speed and pricing structure they are using. Basically they intend to make a direct route from Athlone to Dublin roughly following the main road. I will post the exact rout they plan to take later.

The system I saw demonstrated was a 512k download/upload speed.

Download rates of about 40kbs per sec. Roughly just over 5 mins for a 20MB file to download.

I was able to try a game over there network with Athlone with an average ping of 13ms was adistance of abotu 7 miles. ( Was correctly set up either and the actually ping on properly installed system should be 5ms)

There pricing structure was good too. As far as I can remember it went like this.

Home/office connection 1
    Installation fee €199
    Monthly charge €25.00
    Speed 256kbps upload/download

Home/office connection 2
    Installation fee €199
    Monthly charge €40.00
    Speed 512kbps upload/download

Business connection 1
    Installation fee €299
    Monthly charge €99.00
    Speed 512kbps upload/download

Business connection 2
    Installation fee (subject to survey)
    Monthly charge €199.00
    Speed 1Megs upload/download

Business connection 3
    Installation fee (subject to survey)
    Monthly charge €299.00
    Speed 2Megs upload/download

The home/office info is accurate. Don't take the business price as gospel need to double check.

Bascially Moate/Rosemount region is the first place there offering this commerically. And apparantly they can set up the connections in the very near future. The question is in Moate for example is there the demand both business wise and residental wise. I certainly hope so anyway.

Compared to Eircom they look far superior in terms of pricing anyway. Asides from that standard broadband particalurly in my area may be a year or probaly more away. Anyway I'll find the exact area they plane to run the network through. Any interest
    in it post here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Uber I'm currently a partner of Lastmile (I was also at the demo in Moate!) and hope to extend this service through to Kilbeggan/ T-pass/Rochfortbrige. I mentioned their cost structure here before and was laughed off the thread by a few expert members! Anyway We are currently finalising the last few hops to link to dublin and this system will be live in the very near future! This is the only broadband solution that can and will operate independently of Eircom i.e. not sourcing their connectivity from eircom and so as such will be the only one that can operate at competitive yet profitable rates even if eircom take an interest.
    I'll be posting a new thread looking for interested residential customers in the aforementioned area's. I have the business interest almost sorted so I just need to build numbers!
    Uber glad to meet another local man interested in b/b. Keep in touch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

good luck in your endevour. i know some people out in that area that would possibly be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

Actually as far as I know the cheaper home connection (€25) will be 128kbps and not 256kbps. I think the 128kbps service is a great idea for casual internet users because they don't have to pay the full price of DSL but yet can get an always-on connection with decent speeds. From what I heard as well, they plan to have no download cap on any of the services. This could change once it's rolled out. There's no official statement from the company yet.

BTW, UberBuffoon I was the person gaming on the Athlone end during that event.

Jeez its a small world!! Was everybody at or involved with that meeting here??? LOL good stuff, you can verify it for the sceptics!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UberBuffoon

Hi again suprised I got a response so fast which can only be a good thing. Over the next few days I be asking anyone I know or think may be interested in wireless bb to see how much interest there is in the area. I reckon there will be quite a few, but anyway I can take a list and pass it on with names if I get a few numbers.

• Advertisement

Uber: Excellent stuff, all help greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

im not sure if it was u pablo but a while back i was talking to 2 of the guys from this group and they were testing the service . it sounded brillent but one thing that they did say was they didnt expect users to be dling about 700 megs of data a day .

will this no cap thing be changed and suddenly i find myself capped on a no cap service if i dling the max ammount i can ?

tho i do admit this type of service i do find very exciting mainly cause ive a image of traveling to dublin taking out my laptop and using it as i go ? i think my mental image is wrong of what the acutal product is offering is slightly different ? that you would have to stay within the same attena range and not moving onto the next ones range ?

o can this service be offered in lecarrow ( just outside of athlone ) guy i work with is intrested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

elexes, the no cap thing is speculation. There hasn't been any official word from the company yet so we don't know. Do you know who the two people you were talking to were from, because as far as I know, the test group for this wireless service has been relatively small and centered around Athlone. Maybe they were talking about a different wireless broadband service.

I don't think you'll be able to use your laptop all the way to Dublin. There will be access points in various towns. The internet backbone is just coming from Dublin to the Midlands. I don't think there will be signal all along the main road.

Lecarrow might possibly be covered in the near future, but I heard that Last Mile Wireless are idealy looking for 15 business customers per area they cover. It mightn't be financially viable to bring broadband to Lecarrow. You never know though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UberBuffoon

Just a question for the guys in Last Mile. If a business connection was chosen is a contract of a certain length required like in other broadband systems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Who's carrying the back-haul?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

Hi Pablo,

Are you offering a residential service available at the moment in Athlone or is it still in test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

From what I have been told. This is exactly what I need. I live just outside Moate about 3 miles towards Athlone but my buisness is actually in Athlone. If you could pm / email me any information etc. I would really appreciate it. ;)

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Is there any update since your last post UberBuffoon?

OHP

Test Point is in place in Tyrrellspass. Results looking good at the moment. Kilbeggan is next stop and from there we should have a more accurate pricing structure!
    I'll update you all with more info as soon as I have some!

Have a goo at lastmile for more up to date info!

Advertisement