Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kendo

• 23-10-2003 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Again a question for you all to answer rapidly!

Has anyone ever studied Kendo
    japanese martial art ( Way of the Sword )

If so any views ? Good or Bad?

I think there is a club in Ballyfermot
    More info required

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 heat

I'm a 1st kyu grade in Kendo and have been training in it for about 3 years.There are 4 clubs in Ireland.1 in Dublin, 1 in Cork city, 1 in UCC and 1 in GMIT in Castlebar in Co. Mayo.Its a very good style.Lots of fun.
    There is only 3 real cuts/moves in the style which will be done with the begginers.1 to the head(men),wrist(kotae),stomach(do) and there is 1 which is to the throat called skii(not sure on their spellings).Its a very dangerous cut so Ive only seen Dan ranks demo it.
    Kendo is all geared towards competition.You train for some months til you are good enough at the basics to wear the armour.Then Its like starting again.You would have to get used to the feeling of wearing it while fighting(Shiai).Then when you are ready you begin competitions.Its a very dynamic style.Not like Kenjitsu or other mainstream styles which you can see all over the country.
    The main thing with kendo is that it has to be seen in competition or under training to be at its best.Demos are good but the person doing it can sometimes hold back.
    Its not the best answer but I can say that the people who stick at it really enjoy it.We have 6 new members in our club this year and they all say its great way to let off steam.

Here are some of the Irish club websites

http://www.ucc.ie/students/socs/kendo/main.html

http://www.dublinkendo.com/

http://www.kendo-ireland.com/

Here are the international Kendo Websites

http://www.kendo.or.jp/

http://www.ekf-eu.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Many Thanks for all the info Heat.

I have just joined a club here in England
    So have a lot of work to do
    Pretty interesting stuff,
    Looking forward to learning more and more.

What are the costs for the equipment ?
    sword, armour suit?

Once again appreciate the info

The gear can be fairly expensive but it will last you years. Not sure about prices as they can change from country to country. But if you try http://www.ninecircles.co.uk/ they will give you an idea of the prices in England. Failing that try http://www.kendoshop.com/ Hope it helps

Just picked up my first Shinai , hakama and keikogi,
    Looking forward to finally looking the part in the Class.

Recently attended the Mumeishi 3's in london and met a few Irish Contender's

Unbeliveable !

Very fast stuff

Will you be attending the Championship in Cork in Jan

If so have you any idea what can be expected?

I think you met my instructor in London if he was one of the Irish competitors. The Championships from last year was a hell of a day. 3 competitions in one day. 1st was the Irish Individuals, 2nd was the Irish Teams Event and final one that afternoon was the International Goodwill Event. Had teams from England, France,Belguim(I think)and another made up from others who where there for the weekend. The Sunday was a grading day. Had about 3 hours of a seminiar on what to do and then had up to 1st dan grading. Took part in the 1st Dan but failed on foot work. So when they say its important to know they wont be messing. Good laugh of a weekend. Big thing is not to be shy. We have learned you can learn just as much in the pub that evening talking to the Senies. They are all very willing to pass on their knowledge if you are willing to listen. Not sure if I will make it myself this year. College exams are on the same time. Was looking forward to a good battle over the weekend. Think there is up to 2nd Dan grading that weekend as well.

• Advertisement

yea exams at the same time here
    but there will always be another tournament
    Shame

So is it just you and I - heat
    who study Kendo.

Jesus only two
    Are their any more Kendoka
    out there in BOARDS LAND?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Didn't want to start a new thread, but is there any Kendo club in Galway?

Best PM Heat.
    He's your man for that info, though I think there is a class in UCG
    dont quote me.

Thing is I train In England, Live here etc.

But can tell you it's excellent.
    It's tough but really interesting well worth giving it a go.

Though you have to get past the screaming (kiai) bit it can be quite scary!

Good luck in your search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PMcGuire

Karl,As far as I know there is no Kendo club or Dojo in Galway but I am trying to change this. I studied Kendo in New York many years ago at a sister dojo of Ken Zen Institute under Ebihara Sensei (7th Dan) and Yonakowa Sensei (4th Dan). It was one of the best times of my life.I have decided to begin training again and have written my old school in NY to ask their advise on the best way to possibly start a Kendo club here in Galway. I am not a teacher and am only a Sankyu rank but rank has never been important only to learn how to play beautiful Kendo. If you or anyone else reading this post is interested in playing Kendo in Galway or starting it's first club please let me know here and I will keep you posted as to my progress communicating with the various appropriate Kendo bodies.All the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

PMcGuire wrote: »
    Karl,As far as I know there is no Kendo club or Dojo in Galway but I am trying to change this. I studied Kendo in New York many years ago at a sister dojo of Ken Zen Institute under Ebihara Sensei (7th Dan) and Yonakowa Sensei (4th Dan). It was one of the best times of my life.I have decided to begin training again and have written my old school in NY to ask their advise on the best way to possibly start a Kendo club here in Galway. I am not a teacher and am only a Sankyu rank but rank has never been important only to learn how to play beautiful Kendo. If you or anyone else reading this post is interested in playing Kendo in Galway or starting it's first club please let me know here and I will keep you posted as to my progress communicating with the various appropriate Kendo bodies.All the best

Good work, but you're only four and a half years late for Karl :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭deegs

Hi, I sent you a PM on kendo world,

check out
    www.corkbudokai.org
    www.irishfederation.org
    www.dublinkendo.com (under const)

Looking forward to getting this thing up and running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PMcGuire

Cheers Deeg, and thanks fozzy. I just joined today after doing some Kendo searches put up the post. Noticed the date after. Duh.

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stevef123

Hi im just wondering if there is any in kildare or carlow thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 danielemenopy

Stevef123 wrote: »
    Hi im just wondering if there is any in kildare or carlow thanks
    Hi Steve, the closest is Dublin Kendo Club. There are also small clubs in Louth and Cavan. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hi Steve, the closest is Dublin Kendo Club. There are also small clubs in Louth and Cavan. Good luck!

I love Kendo, although I've always been too busy with Judo & BJJ to practice it.

I went to a few competitions a few years back and loved it, must do it again.

Advertisement