Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change internal Hard drive to external ?

• 23-10-2003 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭

I want to turn my internal hard drive into an external one. I found a few sites selling devices that do this but was wondering of any Irsih sites?

gob_smacked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

gob smacked I dont know of any Irish site that does this but I know of a company called Storecase, they sell a huge rang of chassis for ext hard drives. check out their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭omathuna

I happened to read about this device but I do not know anything about it.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?Addon=Y&CartID=031021112714362&moduleno=35057

Maybe the guys in the shop could fill you in some more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

www.komplett.ie do one or two, but they are expensive. depends on how much you want to spend and how you intend to connect it up to your PC.

USB is by far the most common way of connecting an external Hard drive caddy to a PC or laptop, but it depends on how old your PC is as to whether it has USB ports on it that you will be able to use.

As long as you have Win98 or newer and a PentiumII or newer PC you should be OK.

If you have a relatively new PC you might have USB2 or Firewire ports on your PC in which case you are laughing. Even if you don't, you can get a card for the PC which you can plug in to add USB2/Firewire ports to your PC.

There are 3 types of External caddy you can get: 2.5" (for laptop HD's), 3.5" (for desktop HD's) and 5.25" (for Desktop HD's or CDROM Drives).

If you only intend to use the HD out of your desktop machine and nothing else then a 3.5" caddy should do you but for some reason they seem to be expensive compared to the other types.

for convenience a 2.5" caddy would be the best option as it is smalle rthan the others and does not require a seperate power supply like the other caddys do. for one of these though you need a 2.5" laptop HD which aren't so common in larger sizes and capacity wise tend to be more expensive than the 3.5" drives.

3.5" caddys require a seperate power supply as they require more juice than can be supplied by the USB socket alone, so they can be bulky if you intend to take it around with you (the 5.25" caddys are even bigger obviously).

tbc... (don't have time right now to finish this off).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Q3000

Marx computers do them http://www.marx-computers.com/ I cannot link to them directly but just look under cases and you will find them. If you are based in Dublin Marx are great if you want drop in and ask advice on what is the best case for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Cheers for the info . Checked Komplett didnt see any thing will check again any how . I intend to move this between computers college and home. Will i have to install new software in the computer or will it reconise the hdd ? Most of the computers or Win 98 plus and not to sure bout the usb but I want the hdd to be usb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement