Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Scenes from films for Surround Sound

Options
  • 23-10-2003 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

Whats are peoples fav parts of films that really show off there A/V system?

Mine would be the opening half hour of Fellowship (LOTR) and of course Saving private ryan.

Whats yours............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Opening scene of windtalkers.

Spiderman when spidy gets gased and the goblin is laughin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭alexbrowne40

The matrix reloaded car chase scene..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Apocalypse Now redux - the Attack scene with the classical music!! - Nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

Matrix...

The scene with Neo shooting the mini gun into the building from the helicopter.

Subwoofer up full tilt.

wierd one, from the "up in smoke tour" when dre and snoop go into a shop to score some weed and there is a robbery, ****ing great guns shots!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by dieselfreak
    Matrix...

Subwoofer up full tilt.

Matrix as well, but the Lobby scene: Pumping base soundtrack and an awesome amount of firepower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

i have a few and a small suggestion..
    if you have the dust cover on your speakers take them off before watching the following...also watch that puppy push the sound out..you will see them vibrate on loud!!!

1. the gun scene in matrix...jesus i thought my speaker would explode

2. saving private ryan...the first beach scene and the scene with the tiger tank....

3. french connection 1 -- the car chase

4. aliens, pretty much all of it......

5. apollo 13, the launch bit....

6. black hawk down..again pretty much all of it......

7. starship troppers...the invasion fleet get hit....

8. dante's peak

9. twister

10. jurassic park

11. das boot

jeeze i have a few more but better stop, i want to leave work and watch em right now........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

1. Toy story - when they cross the road.
    2. Saving private ryan - opening
    3. Gladiator - opening battle and the one in the arena.
    4. Ronin - the big chase.
    5. My favorite - IMAX - Super Speedway - a must !!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Blade 2 - early scene where he jumps out the window and kills/motorbikes

Toy Story - intro

SW - Attack of the Clones - intro of ship flying overhead
    OB1 v's Jango in the asteroid field

FOTR - Cave troll

Monsters Inc - the THX logo

THX Optimiser - the Subwoffer bit at the end - sweet Jasus

Shrek - the music is superb

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Godzilla Chopper chase ,superb if you want to show off.
    Toy Story the end chase scene on the remote control car.
    Toy Story 2 intro ,just as Buzz is flying to the planet.
    Band of Brothers the plane droppings.
    Star Wars pod Race.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Excellent thread rabbitinlights.

Monsters inc as it supposedly has the best "sounding" surround sound avilible on DVD. Full DTS-ES and it is excellent.

Others to note:

Thin red line (esp where the motors fly over thier heads. Best soundtrack ever imo).

Terminator 2

Saving private Ryan (of course)

Star wars episode 1 - The racing scene - WOW.

LOTR

Star wars 2 - esp the scene where they fly through the asteroids and you man drops "depth charges".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by dieselfreak
    Matrix...

Subwoofer up full tilt.

Also where the chopper falls over your head just after that scene and crashes into the building. TBH I thought the quality should have been better. Should have been DTS at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Toy Story 2 intro, right up till you realise its a game is amazing in surround sound.

Watched it on a really good 5.1 setup about a year ago and was blown away by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The Others. Fantastic use of surround sound, to create atmosphere, and send a few shivers up your spine..

Also a damn fine movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

Originally posted by slave1
    THX Optimiser - the Subwoffer bit at the end - sweet Jasus
    LOL :D Just got a new set of 5.1 speakers for the PC last week and underestimated the volume level. Watched some of Attack of the clones and the THX intro was ......powerful to say the least.
    Got the volume sorted out and watched Saving Private Ryan. Having read this thread I could end up spending the bank holiday watching a lot of DVDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

the scene in "from dusk till dawn" when they're in the bar and the bats are circling outside
    you hear the sound for ages without realising what it is, and when they burst in its crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

When Trinity jumps from building to building at the start of The Matrix. Two police cars go underneath her in an aural orgasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Shred

The shoot out after the bank roberry in Heat - glass breaking, and the sound of bullets zipping by:cool:

I'd have to say FOTR has one of the best audio mixes also - the sound is phenomenal - even the soundtrack sounds amazing

Happy gilmore - at the start when he whacks a golf ball and the camera follows it, sounds great,

Also Fast and the furious, when he starts that monster black Dodge charger, the roar off it............ althought the best car noise in any film ever has to be the ford mustang fast back in "bullitt" in the car chase around san fran, only stereo but god its nice.

End explosion in fight club, also when they blow up a big silver ball and it bounces down some steps......

The entire soundtrack to full metal jacket.

The sound of the rain in se7en

the Blood Club scene in blade

Im actually getting really annoyed now, im at that really annoying time when you have sold parts of your old system to buy new ones and you dont have them yet, i have my new Marantz SR5300 sitting under my tv but no front speakers......GGrrrrrrr
    Cant wait till i get my new mission M35's next week (hopefully)

any way keep them coming, cus i wanna big list to try out when i get everything set up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Should have a note to say while these movies sound great some are pretty crap :)

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

howsabout RONIN and the car chase scene.... or the opening scene in TWISTER (where the twister trashes the house)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

What about the scene in Swordfish where the woman gets dragged away from the cafe only for the bomb to be triggered

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

just got my Indiana Jones box set the other day and I have to say that they did an amazing job with the sound. At the start of Raiders in the jungle you can hear the birds and animals all around you very clearly. I'm very impressed with the sound on these films, especially as it's only added since the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

In the movie 'Always' , an oldie but there is a gem of a surround effect whereby an aeroplane comes from the distance over a river where 2 fishermen are dozing off .
    The plane comes to fly towards them then at the last moment takes off over their heads ...and over ours . Crank the volume up and you'd swear.................................

Advertisement