Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching boards.ie -- annoyance

Options
  • 23-10-2003 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

The minimum word size of 4 characters for searching baords.ie is too restrictive. It's impossible to search for things like: ppp, usb, dlink 604+ (for some reason the + is not counted, and hence the 604 is too small)

Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Would the + be considered as a boolean operator?
    I agree with chewb above, there are many things under 4 characters that you'd want to search for, i.e. "mp3 players" wouldn't be allowed, which is annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

From my expericence everything i ever wanted to search for in Vbulletin has 3 letters.

It is annoying but not much can be done about it yet.

kdjac

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

would it be possible to use quoted spaces as in "TLA " or " TLA" or " TLA " ?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I take your point (though what is wrong with "dlink"?)... the reason its restricted to 4 letters is an issue with the way Vbulletin does searching... its very labour intensive on the server and gets more and more so when you make the limit lower...

I doubt theres much we can do about it be done about it (wasnt there a workaround).

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

What i usually use to get around this is to use a wildcard such as *

Example: ESB*

M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭chewb

Nothing wrong with dlink, but a search for
    dlink 604+
    fails because the 604+ is too short (the + is not counted)

The search limit seriously restricts the usefulness of the search facility... also these pages don't seem to be indexed very mush by google, so site searching with google doesn't return a lot

as i said above all you have to do is put an asterisk after or before your 3 characters, it does work..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by DivX
    as i said above all you have to do is put an asterisk after or before your 3 characters, it does work..

In my experience it only works if it's part of another word, like: mp3* will match "mp3player" but not "mp3"

well when i do the odd search for bmw* on the motors forum, it returns results even if the * is a space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭chewb

Nope, when I search for say dlink 604* it only returns the threads that have something after the 604, like 604G. The * doesn't match spaces...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

He has a point - TLA's are what we coputer nerds live by....

An aside - smart is sexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Perhaps there could be a list of acceptable three letter words such as DVD, mp3 etc. Thus when somewone enters a three letter word into the search box, it'll check if it's on the list, if not throw a hissy fit, if so then search for the three letter word.

It is a hindrance as there are some three letter words in common use that one would wnat to search for

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its not about your search , its about the fncked up stupid way that VBulletin pre-chews the posts and indexes the words.... it keeps a huge list of unique words and which posts there are in. Making it 3 letters really isnt an option. I'll check with the lads again but I'm pretty sure it will kill a database our size.

Tried using * ... like "USB*" ?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Yeah, USB* matches "USB" plus some other characters, like USBpen, but not a space, "USB ".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I have also encountered these problems before.
    They have been fixed in the new vBulletin 3.
    Any word on that DeVore ?

Advertisement