Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB reliability

• 23-10-2003 7:11pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just found out that I should be able to get an IBB connection, but from looking at other posts, it seems alot of people arent very happy with them.

I gather the connection is crap for gaming, but that wouldnt really bother me. What are they like for downloads etc.
    On paper they have the best connection, a good price, no cap and doesnt interfere with the phone... but I know that doesnt mean theyre the best.

Should I hold out for NTL?

Flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

they are grand for downloading so long as you don't get ripwave... that has a flexible download cap. e.g. ppl who use it a lot will be asked to lessen usage.

But the LOS product (home breeze?) is completely unlimited. I have home breeze plus and have never had really bad download speeds for longer than about 3 hours, and over the last 2 months, i'd say its been a lot less than 24 hours of bad download speeds.

Gaming should improve supposedly... so we can but hope, but download speeds are blazingly fast at the moment <450k (currently getting Counter-strike CZ at 52kb's)

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit

Gaming should improve supposedly... so we can but hope,

Really? what are u basing this on?

but download speeds are blazingly fast at the moment <450k (currently getting Counter-strike CZ at 52kb's)

pm me a torrent ;)

DL speeds are generally quite good on home breeze so if ur not into gaming go for this option.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

cheers and thanks, I think i'll go for it.

and i am into gaming, but net gaming isnt a big deal for me. although if the speeds are decent I would have a go

btw, can I hook up xbox live with the breeze package?

Flogen

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

IBB has been utterly useless the past 2 weeks for me (webpages take forever to load) so i'll be ringing them tommorrow. Twas pretty poor before that as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭incubus

same situation as kif

ringing them doesnt do much good either...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

yea still findin it very weird no in fairness we dont use it 4 gaming at all, just downloads and there really is just 2 of us who do dat

The speed i find terrible i've heard mutant fruit sayin he can get linux distro from it over nite, at about 56KB\s

Personally i've never seen speeds over 15 KB|s and we're on 3 rock on the 1 meg package

This mornin in the space of an hour i saw our pings go from 500ms to 3000+ ms i mean WTF and this was in the spaceof 30 mins, with nothin extra running

Personally im kinda happy cos it's uncapped but the speeds a joke i mean we cant even browse the web !!!!

D.

holy crap i almost 4 got the biggest thing of all....the speed spikes like crazy all the time im runnin a bandwidth monitor on our firewall and it's givin me figures of 22KB\s incomming and dat to 2 machines with several d/l's running, dats 22KB\s over all, and then it spikes down to 12KB\s, then up to 36KB\s where's my 120KB\s and done go givin me **** abotu not being able to reach it i'd be ****in happy with 100KB\s not 1/3 of it

Sort it out chaz

D>

Personally i've never seen speeds over 15 KB|s and we're on 3 rock on the 1 meg package

ever think of ringing them? I did when i had ping problems.
    Gaming should improve supposedly... so we can but hope,

They are upgrading their equipment to a new technology... and pings are typically in the region of about 7ms or maybe a tiny bit more to google.com during peak hours. Currrently available as a 100eur a month, uncapped residential offering (1meg/1meg). A bit pricy, but it should be tasty when it gets cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Mutant fruit ..... there was no mention that there was such a product. I simply posted a question on that thread to feel the water IF there were some of you that would be interested in a high end type gaming res package .... nothing more.

Kevok is likely to change over and see - im dealing with him now.

Please dont make assumptions on 1 post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 tek

Ohhhhhh my GoD /me gonna sell all /me grannies in order to get this package ,im talkin about the high-end offer off IBB
    That is so f**king sweet. Im here over in dnc cafe and staff is goin crazy tbh .Only one but Why or why its limited to those areas .I f**king hate Tallaght tbh.I guess ill have to move to knackers area in order to get it unless they (IBB) change their mind and offer it in Blanch

oh sorry, i thought you said there was such a product coming out. i misread the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

With IBB its the luck of the draw as to whether you get a good connection or not. Definitely a risk signing up with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Originally posted by tek
    I f**king hate Tallaght tbh.I guess ill have to move to knackers area in order to get it unless they (IBB) change their mind and offer it in Blanch

Blanch isn't a "knackers area" ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

hmmm, this is a tough decision... i dont want to sign up and then have to put up with a **** connection for a year.. but i could take the chance and it could be a great connection.

the thing is, the package is only €35 a month, which is only €5 more than the eircom or esat anytime packs, and theres no time or info cap on IBB, and a chance of a very fast connection.

choices.....damn choices.

thanks for your help anyway, at least i can make a more informed decision now.

Flogen

if you;'d care to look here... and noticve the bit that says... "unrestricted uploading and downloading"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mrbump

Well I got IBB installed last Feb and all was well till they did some maintenence work on the RTE tower (which I'm off) last april/may. after that the service has been down more times then not I'm talking crazy speeds of < 1 ****ing k a sec and Im supposed to me 1 mb, the last 2 months it has been practically usable my 56k modem is tons better. I have been on to their tech support team more times then I care to remember over the months and they have yet to send out an engineer although they said earlier this week that they would. I have been monitoring the connection speed and ping rates which can be anywhere up to 1500 with timeouts but averages around 200 - 800 most of the time. no doubt its excellent when it works but its basically a lucky dip as far as I'm concerned as the speed jumps all over the kip.

Funnilly enough I recommended this service to 5 friends when I got it first and they all have decent connections although 3 of them are off the Tree rock transmitter which seems to be the business, and the other 2 are off RTE (which I can see perfectly from my bedroom window as Im in clonskeagh) and live on my street and have had few problems, and before you ask my hardware is fine nothing wrong.

So I await the engineer to come over and have a look at the system to try and resolve the issue.

My advice is to anyone getting this service that you ask for a written confirmation that if it's not up to scratch within 1 month after you get it installed that they refund your installation fee.
    Tell them that you have heard that the service is a bit sketchy and will only consider getting in the system if they can gurantee that it will work. they might agree to this because if the service keeps going the way it is they won't have many customers left very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

I f**king hate Tallaght tbh.I guess ill have to move to knackers area in order to get it unless they (IBB) change their mind and offer it in Blanch [/B]

u live in blanch? me 2..... im going to try ring them over the mid term and see can i get a test....
    i want to use it mainly for gaming, but now im not sure...
    alot of you guys are saying its sh1te for gaming...
    i play cs mainly... what kinda pings is it?
    currently i have a 56k modem with a 28k line since eircom ripped me off when my dad wanted 2 lines, not 2 halves, eejits!
    anyway, i get sometimes a good ping of around 200-250, dats VERY good for a 28k, but when , i mean, IF i can get IBB, what ping would i expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

in my case n e where from 30ms to 3000 ms DEpending

Good luck !!!

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 tek

Lets not forget that what Chaz is talkin about is a complently different experience in terms of pings ( fingers crossed tbh ) As i understood its different kit too and yeah its only for those who r willin to fork out 100 quid in monthky payments
    Tbh i personnaly think its a very sweet offer so lets hope they r goin to bring it over to Blanch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Ripwave claims to be unlimited downloads.

Mutant, where did you hear that they will ask you to lessen your downloads? I ask because we've signed up and I asked them about this at least three times. Typical conversation:

ME: Is it really unlimited?

THEM: Sure is.

ME: As in 'really' really? I ask cause of Netsource's so-called no limits which acutally has a limit if you go on a downloading spree.

THEM: The only limit is your harddrive size!

ME: So 100gig a month is ok?

THEM: That's fine.

I actually said 100gig to them and they weren't flustered.
    Now I'll be nowhere near that amount (esp. if the speeds are crap!) but I want the freedom to suddenly jump to 100gig if I want.

So, am I dreamin' or is it really unlimited?

if you;d care to look here and in the faqs halfwaty down the page.....

Quote:
    Does a download limit apply?
    There is no download limit with Ripwave. However, to ensure fair and equitable access to all users, a fair usage policy will apply. Irish Broadband reserves the right to contact those users with excessive usage to request adherance to reasonable limits.

Unquote

• Advertisement

Hmmm....so 100gig is beneath the fair usage limit? That sounds ok for me then.

Why did you go for Ripwave instead of the LOS product? Did you have no LOS? Cos for an extra 5 eur, you get 512upload, AND completely unmetered, un-fair-usaged, uncapped service too!

Well I went for it cause they assured me repeatedly that the DL limit was not there. That FAQ on their site wasn't there when I signed up, or at least there was no mention of the 'fair usage' thing.

They've not installed it yet though so I might kick up some crap about the usage. It's not that I'm a DL junkie, but if given no limits then I intented to take advantage of that on occasion, but not all the time.

The LOS thing is too much like hard work, sticking things onto my chimney makes me weep tears of pure blood. My chimney is like my second child, tall, weird-shaped head and made of bricks. I love it. No way am I sticking an antennae on top of it. Where would the birdies sit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by chabsey
    Ripwave claims to be unlimited downloads.
    THEM: The only limit is your harddrive size!

ME: So 100gig a month is ok?

THEM: That's fine.

I actually said 100gig to them and they weren't flustered.
    Now I'll be nowhere near that amount (esp. if the speeds are crap!) but I want the freedom to suddenly jump to 100gig if I want.

So, am I dreamin' or is it really unlimited?

512*60*60*24*30 = 1,327,104,000 Kbits/month = 165G (more or less).

But RipWave is a 40:1 contention ratio service, so that's 165G between up to 40 people (assuming the system is 100% utilised 100% of the time). If you try to download 100G, you'll be taking it out of MY share, and I'm not going to be happy about that, and neither are the other 39 people you're stealing from.

**coughs** stealing? He is on 40-1 contention, true. But he is entitled to download as much as he wants on his connection. If he wants to download at full speed 24x7, he can. He;s not stealing off anyone, its his right to utilize his connectino fully, as it is the right of any other ripwave user. He;s not taking anyone's share.

EDIT: but if he is deemed to be ruining the service supplied to other people, then he will be capped.

Well then, afore ye call me a thief and a blackguard I think IBB should train their staff not to lie to customers.

If I ask and am assured repeatedly that it is my right and my privilige to download 100 gig a month, then you can be damn sure I will (on occasion) download 100 gig a month and care not a whit for those other 39 people.

However, if it transpires that I have been lied to then the bone thou has to pick lies not with me, but with IBB staff.

EDIT: Thank you Mutant, for underlining the fact that calling me a thief is a little out of line.

Actually Ripwave, what are your calculations based on?

I get the 24 and the 30, but the other parts?

I'm concerned because if you get 165 gig, divide it by 40 you get a little over 4 gig! Obviously not all the users will want or need their full limit but still, if it really equates to a 4 gig limit (above which you get a warning perhaps?!!) then it really is not a very good service at all.

Originally posted by chabsey
    Actually Ripwave, what are your calculations based on?

I get the 24 and the 30, but the other parts?/B]
    512K BITS per seconds, 60 seconds per minte, 60 minutes per hour.
    I'm concerned because if you get 165 gig, divide it by 40 you get a little over 4 gig! Obviously not all the users will want or need their full limit but still, if it really equates to a 4 gig limit (above which you get a warning perhaps?!!) then it really is not a very good service at all.
    ????? Not paying much attention, are you? RADSL is 48:1.

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    **coughs** stealing? He is on 40-1 contention, true. But he is entitled to download as much as he wants on his connection.

If he wants to download at full speed 24x7, he can. He;s not stealing off anyone, its his right to utilize his connectino fully, as it is the right of any other ripwave user. He;s not taking anyone's share.
    Yeah, all rights, no responsibilities. I don't need, or want 100G a month. But **** it, if some bollix is going to **** the service over by downloading more crap than he has time to watch or listen too, why not, I'll just set my system up to suck whatever crap it can find, 24x7 too. I might as well, the system will be practically unusable for day to day use if a couple of other users decide to be pricks about it.

He can hardly complain if I do this, after all it's "my right" to use my connection fully. I have just as much right to screw up the service for him as he does to screw it up for me. (see "tragedy of the commons" for historical references. See dictionary references for "Malthusian" while you're at it).

• Advertisement

He can hardly complain if I do this, after all it's "my right" to use my connection fully.

It is your right... and this is what will happen...
    EDIT: but if he is deemed to be ruining the service supplied to other people, then he will be capped.

and thats my imput to this thread.. i'm signing off.

EDIT: i looked up Malthusian. nice reference

Advertisement