Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NSR 125 good deal?

Options
  • 23-10-2003 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I was recently offered an NSR 125 for 1200 Euros. It's got "low mileage, is taxed and is in good condition".
    I honestly don't know anything about bikes but this appears to be a very good deal "too good" in fact.
    What I'd like to know is what exactly could be wrong with the bike, what I should look for or even if it's a good idea to start on this bike.
    The current owner says that he pays 900 for insurance.
    What kind of money would I(with no experience and being 18) expect to pay for insurance?
    ....Finally....
    The bike's about 100 miles across the country...I assume a 125 won't handle that too well so how do I transport the machine?!?!

Any help with any of this is greatly appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭alanc

Sounds O.K. for 1,200. But what year is it? What 'stuff' is going with it? They are going 5,600 now for a new NSR's.

AL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Ur insurance wud buy a brand new NSR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

You can dream on dude

get some vodka first in to you then go to hiberniandirect.ie

check it out

and post it here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

An NSR 125 is category 7, which means that if you're insuring it in dublin, you're more than likely not going to be able to afford it, that's if hibernian will insure you in the first place.

Plus the chances of a small, fast 2-stroke like an NSR or RS having been planted or dropped could be higher than other bikes as it's generally younger, less experienced riders that own them.

If you're going to face the outrageous insurance and buy it, make sure you bring someone along who knows about bikes to have a look at it and make sure it's in good nick.

You could physically drive the bike the 100 miles, but it wouldn't be great for the bike and wouldn't be very comfortable...

If you're looking into getting a bike at 18, you'd want to look at something like a Virago or Marauder (cruisers), something small and relatively non-lethal and insurable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

As someone has pointed out, NSR is a group 7 bike, and at AON's current rates, for an 18 year old on a provisional license with no experience, your rates are as follows:

(I suggest you sit down)

Third Party Only : 11,033
    Fully Comp: 14,567

I'd suggest you start with a moped if it's just for commuting, and build up some No Claims.
    Remember, Carole Nash will quote drivers under 25 if they have 1 years no claims, even on a moped.

Though having said that, the cheapest you will get insured on ANYTHING with two wheels (including mopeds) is currently:

Third Party Only : 1,569
    Fully Comp : 2,970

Sorry to piss on your parade dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I paid €1800 for a '00 NSR 125 with 17k on the clock. It was a good deal as I knew the engine was in perfect condition as I stripped it before buying.

1,200 seems a good price for an NSR, but it depends on many variables.
    Answer me these questions;
    Year
    Milage
    Body Condition
    Wheel Condition (new back tyre will set you back €130)
    How many Owners
    Ever been crashed

If you are unfamilar with engines, a quick indication that will tell you the condition of the engine is starting it from cold. When you pull out the choke on an NSR, the CDI system handles the amount of fuel it will inject, so just pull out the choke and start it WITHOUT touching the accellerator. If it starts without spluttering or having to rev it, your engine isint about to fall apart.

When the engine is idle, rev it at certain intervals. Make sure you cant hear any 'rattling' noises. If you do, your top-end bearing is about to go, or worse, your piston head is about to die on you.

Other than that, check the obvious, compare the serial numbers, make sure the seller has ownership forms. Check types, electrics, barkes, etc. (those small things can add up)

Regards.

<edit> Forgot to mention before, NSR's are group 7, so unless your either over 23 or are stinking rich, chances are you wont be able to afford insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

you stripped an egine and rebuilt it before buying ?

rofl

the CDI system handles the amount of fuel it will inject,

What?:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

*I* didnt, my father is a mechanic, he took a solid look at the engine before I bought. Naturally as you can assume, we knew the seller personally...otherwise there wouldnt be a hope in hell that the seller would allow me to strip it.

In regards to CDI system, what I meant to say is that the electronics handles how much fuel (in turn controlling the RPM) is allowed into the cylinder until the engine is warm.

CDI stands for Capacitor Discharge Ignition my friend and has nothing to do with fuel distribution

You can ask your dad

• Advertisement

You cannot seriously be suggesting that the NSR125 has fuel injection?.. *lol*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

i always remember chattin with a guy sellin an nsr to cotters and him sayin how amazin it was when the fuel injection kicks in
    seems to be a common mistake 4 idiots to think that the powervalve openin is in fact fuel injection
    i just nodded politely holdin back the 'ha ha dumbass!'

Originally posted by batman_oh
    i always remember chattin with a guy sellin an nsr to cotters and him sayin how amazin it was when the fuel injection kicks in
    seems to be a common mistake 4 idiots to think that the powervalve openin is in fact fuel injection
    i just nodded politely holdin back the 'ha ha dumbass!'

Just because someone owns a bike they don't suddenly become mechanics....the fact you were even in Cotters shows how little you know. back to the topic

The price does seem a little "too good" but the majority of people who drive these bikes are young which means the insurance is very high so the bikes second hand usually do go fairly cheap as they're not very easy to sell.

Just get someone to take a look at it for you.....don't take previous advice and buy it because it starts straight from cold...this is telling you very little

Also they're not cheap to keep even tho it's a 125 it's still a very high performance engine and needs really really good oil which doesn't come cheap 'things' (that's a technical term) tend to 'break' or 'die' alot quicker than they would on say a CG 125 or a GS and genuine honda parts are exspensive

because you can get up to some impressive speeds for a 125 you tend to break very late :P and hard especially if it's your first bike so you replace break pads alot more often too...

remember these bikes are built for having fun and getting plenty of penalty points :D

if it's just for work and back go with a more stable reliable bike or

GO TO COTTERS AND GET A SC00TER TEH WIN!

emm well i know simon cotter, bought my rs125 from him 2 years ago, and was lookin to trade it back last year, but they only had ****e bikes
    i willing to wager i know about a billion times more about bikes than u
    the nsr 125 isnt a very 'high performance engine' as u babbled, its in a relatively low state of tune for a 2 stroke 125, it makes about 22bhp at the wheel, race 125s make over 45, and rs is pushin just under 30
    nsr125s are very reliable for a 2stroke, and require very little maintanence compared to an actual highly tuned 2 stroke, theyll happily go 20000km's b4 changin rings. They get enormous mpg aswell
    plus nsr has fairly spongy brakes as standard so wont be hammerin front pads as much as a sharp brakin bike
    i know 3 people who owned nsr's while i had my rs and learned to drive on one so i know them inside out
    whats a powervalve by the way? :)

its ok if u have to go look for a definition
    dont worry

Originally posted by batman_oh
    emm well i know simon cotter, bought my rs125 from him 2 years ago, and was lookin to trade it back last year, but they only had ****e bikes
    i willing to wager i know about a billion times more about bikes than u
    the nsr 125 isnt a very 'high performance engine' as u babbled, its in a relatively low state of tune for a 2 stroke 125, it makes about 22bhp at the wheel, race 125s make over 45, and rs is pushin just under 30
    nsr125s are very reliable for a 2stroke, and require very little maintanence compared to an actual highly tuned 2 stroke, theyll happily go 20000km's b4 changin rings. They get enormous mpg aswell
    plus nsr has fairly spongy brakes as standard so wont be hammerin front pads as much as a sharp brakin bike
    i know 3 people who owned nsr's while i had my rs and learned to drive on one so i know them inside out
    whats a powervalve by the way? :)

I don't remember saying I was a mechanic....you know more than me ? oh the shame.....but my daddys bigger than yours! AND I can do loads of nerdy things better than you...like wear funny t-shirts.

it IS a high performance bike.......they're not very reliable.....i'm not talking about going down to cotters once a week to laugh at kevins flick over...put it through it's paces....it won't last long they're not meant too...

he has asked for peoples expirience with said bike...not some arse that's on honda.com

and a powervalve is what i open after a night on the guiness.....obviously....

"i willing to wager i know about a billion times more about bikes than u"

Oh lord.. I find it hard to imagine someone old enough to actually ride bikes saying something like that..

Whatever about any valid points you were making, coming out with something like that makes you look like a tool!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The txt-speak doesn't help either. :rolleyes:

Coming back to NSR. I found this very reliable bike which did 16k miles in one year without major surgery.

Like every two stroke you have to replace rings/brake pads from time to time.

The only thing is that exhaust pipe is very poor quality.

Advertisement