Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DRM sh!t

Options
  • 23-10-2003 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I've had set up a new machine for a friend.

I copied over thier files, however all the MP3s are now popping up a webpage on MS site saying they are illegal copies??? WTF.

They were taken from thier CDs. Is there a way to disable this or are they going to have to convert all thier CDs again?

This is happening in winamp as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Gaahhhh... nevermind.

The muppets saved thier files like...

file.mp3.wma

They are wma format. I was wondering what the hell was going on.

I'll show them how to make MP3s I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Hobbes
    The muppets saved thier files like...

file.mp3.wma
    Bah, plonkers. If there was nothing in it for you, you probably wouldn't bother.

I assume they're ripping their files using Windows Media player and they didn't bother installing a decent mp3 codec either?

(the hacked (made standalone) Fraunhofer one floating around is well worth getting but I'm moving towards the naughty line now)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I dont have an MP3 player, so I just made my music into ogg vorbis files, very easily done (nice desktop icon, just drag and drop music files from CD onto the icon ... nice little spinning fish while its encoding) free too .... just wont be compatible with mp3 players ... it works with all version of winamp ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by BigEejit
    just wont be compatible with mp3 players
    Ogg's compatible with quite a number of mp3 players. Not all of them obviously but most of the better ones (including most flashable CD-mp3 players). Just something to keep in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 markisevil

Originally posted by Hobbes
    They are wma format. I was wondering what the hell was going on.
    Taking the tick out of "Copy Protect Music" in WMP (under Tools/Options/Copy Music) would take care of the DRM issue. WMA is an okay format - not worse than MP3 anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement