Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The answer about the Marijuana Board

Options
  • 24-10-2003 12:30am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got an answer back from our legal people about the Marijuana Board and to cut a very long winded document short they said that a judge would look at the "likely use" of any such forum. If it was likely to be used for illegal purposes then we would be held responsible, if not and we'd taken due care and attention then we *probably* wouldnt.

So someone posting how to grow weed and get high on the Gardening forum would be ok so long as we removed it when it was brought to our attention.
    The same post on a forum called "How to Grow Marijuana and Get High" would get us into trouble regardless of what we do.

There is a reform of the law coming (slooooowly but its coming) whereby the author will *have* to be given a chance to moderate his/her own posts first and THEN we have to take action if they refuse to. This is a reversal of the law and means that people will finally.... (all together now)...

OWN THEIR OWN WORDS

It means if you say "Alfie Kane was a corrupt businessman who f*cked this country for a cheap profit." Then I can either choose to moderate it if I feel its not something I want to associate Boards.ie with... or I can let it stand.

If I let it stand then Alfie would have to show that he tried to get you to remove it yourself and if you refused he could appeal to us to remove it. If we refuse then at that point we have to be ready to stand over publishing it.

The flip side of that is that if he presses charges against you and the cops ask us for your details, we would have to give them to them. Which is perfectly fair in my mind anyway. I've no intention of protecting you from lawsuit.... if you said it, you stand over it.

This is NOT YET LAW, but its whats currently being suggested by the Law Reform Commission.
    If it ever sees the light of day I'll be amazed, happy but amazed :)

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Ahh here!, now where am i supposed to make baseless alligations?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Have you heard from Alfie Kanes legal team yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by amp
    Have you heard from Alfie Kanes legal team yet?
    For what?

Originally posted by Victor
    For what?

Well if you must know, we've invited them out for golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by amp
    Well if you must know, we've invited them out for golf.

"Golfing" is a euphemism for Magic Mushroom Picking activities. Is that legal ?

M

• Advertisement

Memo to Dev: Muck knows too much. Dispatch the dogs with bees in their mouths.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

That when they bark they shoot bees at you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

If he meant that, im sure he would have said it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Can i mod this forum :D

Originally posted by Muck
    "Golfing" is a euphemism for Magic Mushroom Picking activities. Is that legal ?

M

Picking mushrooms is totally legal..."preparing" them i.e drying them for storage/sale is illegal.

Personally I can't see the problem with such a board, as it's not illegal to talk about growing/smoking weed. Perhaps it could be run like the bluelight.nu forums which basically promotes the safe usage of drugs, and disallows any sort of sources swapping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The Evening Herald and its ilk would have a field day, especially with the tender age of some boards users. 'Trial by Tabloid' is a trial you cannot win. Now I'm not saying that there would be a campaign against boards directly but you're leaving yourself open for some of the flack, specially with the Internet angle. As amusing as having Dev's picture on the front page above the word 'SCUM' would be (:p) I'd prefer if that didn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Who cares about the papers, i mean its just a couple of blokes with abite of a hobby. No one elses bussiness really.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Personally I can't see the problem with such a board, as it's not illegal to talk about growing/smoking weed. Perhaps it could be run like the bluelight.nu forums which basically promotes the safe usage of drugs, and disallows any sort of sources swapping

Is that a professional legal opinion?

Cos I went and actually got one and you are wrong. It is illegal to discuss growing/important/harvesting/taking drugs. If the logical use of the area we create was considered to promote such discussion we'd be banged to rights...

What Phil says also applies... though it would bother me less.

Personally I've no problem with being in court to defend someones right to discuss such topics... my problem is that in the ensueing legal meleé Boards.ie would almost certainly be obliterated.

Anything that threatens Boards Ltd as an entity cant be tolerated, too many groups use this resource to exchange information freely and publically... Boards imho is one of the few beacons of free public expression left on the already restricted Irish internet... I dont want to jeopardise that by putting our head on a chopping block we know to be lethal.

I'll try and root out the document from the detrius of Spin so you can all have a read.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

If there was a great need for discussion of all things Marijuana related other websites can cater for it and probably have stronger versed people to aid in discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by utility_
    Personally I can't see the problem with such a board, as it's not illegal to talk about growing/smoking weed.

The thing is, you're not talking like it is amongst a group of mates - you are publishing. That is a whole new can of legal worms ;)

Originally posted by yellum
    If there was a great need for discussion of all things Marijuana related other websites can cater for it and probably have stronger versed people to aid in discussions.
    If there is sufficient need / want for cannabis.ie or cannabis.ie.tk why don't the people go off and set up there own standalone board?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

because we shouldnt *have* to.
    We should, as adults, be able to discuss things without such legal tricksiness.

Anyway, I'm a little drunk so I'll stop now.

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore
    We should, as adults
    Adults? Where? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by DeVore

The flip side of that is that if he presses charges against you and the cops ask us for your details, we would have to give them to them. Which is perfectly fair in my mind anyway. I've no intention of protecting you from lawsuit.... if you said it, you stand over it.

Ok so you have to tell the authorities the information about a user who posted x item but isn't there something in the law about keeping peoples information, ip address etc. and how it is on the wrong side of legal. For the authorities to ask you for information that you possibly should not have is "interestin" to say the least.

Advertisement