Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House wiring for DSL - question?

• 24-10-2003 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

I currently have a normal psdn line terminated on a Master Socket Box in the Hall. My Computer room is diretly above the hall. I wanted to run an RJ45 cable pair directly from the incoming Eircom Pair up inside the wall to the room via the cable. Terminate the main pair in a socket for connection to the DSL modem/hub in my room. Install DSL splitter via a 2-way plug and run back down on another pair to the hall socket and other analog sockets which are terminated in the hall recess.
    Has anyone else done this? or any info. Plan was to get a clear direct feed into the DSL unit from the Eircom incoming pair.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Rumblefish

I've just rewired the house, to support 3 phones, and shared DSL connection, so info still fresh in my head.

A) Wiring Strategy

You get a twisted pair in from eircom which terminates at a junction box. You then have two choices to feed this to all the points you want to go to.

1) run from socket to socket to socket (daisychain)
    thisis how eircom do it.

2) star - feed each socket radially from junction box

daisychain is less cabling and quicker to do, but would highly recommend star every time as it has several advantages

- you have a fault/break in cable only one socket is affected, not all
    - you want to move a socket or rewire, only one socket is affected
    - you can create a LAN (see below)

As all the cables feed out from the junction box, suggest you get a 'Krone' frame (sometimes called a punchdown block) to use to connect the wires together - its basically a patch panel. you can get them at electrical wholesalers

B) Cable choice

Buy some CAT5 cabling, and dual port RJ-45 sockets.
    CAT5 has 4 x twisted pair

C) Connecting up

connect your sockets to the wall, then run a cable from each of these to the eircom junction box.

for phone use the centre two pins in socket to connect to incoming phone line.

for broadband, use the line splitter/microfilter that eircom/esat gave you with BB connnection.

In each CAT5 you now have 3 spare twsited pairs. these can be used as follows

- as spares for the phone in case of cable damage
    - to create an home ethernet

Using the Network Card on my PC and the Internet Connection sharing feature in Windows I can connect a second pc (or my Playstation2) at any phone socket in the house, using the second jack on the RJ45 socket. (you need crossover connection from pc to pc).

Sure i could have used WLAN, but cabling was cheaper, I don't need to check my emails in the jacks and didn't fancy the neighbours sniffing my internet sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Thanks for that.
    I more or less did the same using cat5 cables. Just waiting for the Swords Exchange to sort out their jumpering problem with my line. maybe tomorrow ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Rumblefish

no worries. hope the evil eircom pixies get your line sorted.

Advertisement