Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Lost Metal Classics

Options
  • 24-10-2003 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

Just listening to Coroner's truly excellent album "Mental Vortex" on the walkman this morning. It is really one of the great overlooked Metal classics. I'd rate Acid Reign's "Obnoxious" album as highly too. Any other albums out there that disappeared after thier release but still sound excellent years later?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Angel Witch from the NWOBHM era!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

All of Coroners albums were fekin amazing and today still sound as good as ever! I loved Acid Reign's stuff too but cant find their albums anywhere on cd:( . Sabbat's album 'dreamweaver' is another timeless classic which I cant find either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yes, Sabbat are fantastic.

Have a looksee here

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Hi
    yes I have a couple of albums that definitely fall into that category - you'd do well to find them in a shop so maybe you can try downloading them....

1. Trouble - Manic Frustration
    (try d/loading Touch the Sky for starters)
    2. Badlands - Badlands
    (try Devils Stomp)

Cheers
    Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Great choice, I'm a huge fan of Trouble, always preferred Voodoo Highway from Badlands though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭colincarnate

Megadeth. Dave Mustaine rules.

...I wouldn't say Megadeth are forgotten per say, at least not to comparitive wrinklies like myself. I thought of another, how I forgot this one I'll never know...

Warrior Soul - Salutations From the Ghetto Nation

BTW I have a few Warrior Soul tabs on my site if you're interested,
    http://www.dreamsupersonic.net/
    ...all my own work as they say

- or what about

Living Colour - Vivid (or Type) -they were quite popular too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Pestilence - they have re-issued Spheres and Testimony of the Ancients - ah lovely stuff

Originally posted by Ph3n0m
    Pestilence - they have re-issued Spheres and Testimony of the Ancients - ah lovely stuff

F*CKIN' A!!!

I didn't know these had been re-issued. Twisted Truth, Land Of Tears, excellent. Gonna have to visit Sound Cellar and buy them again. In hindsight, buying tapes back in the day was a bad idea.

Are there any extra tunes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

dunno, but both albums are sold as a set for around 20 - 25 euro which is class

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭pyramid man

i like totally recomend " King Diamond " - " The Eye"

what an album.

also i got the metal works of judas priest.
    four cds of pure metal greatness. that is from the eighties.

...thanks lads I will check out some of those. I remember hearing the name Sabbat a lot when I was in my teens but due to combined lack of finances, airplay and Kazaa I never heard their stuff. I was living in the statesfor a while recently and downloaded a heap of stuff I used to have on cassette like Testament, Suicidal Tendancies (and a lot of hair rock I won't mention ha ha) and have rediscovered pride in my rockin roots!
    Another one I intend getting my paws on is the 1st Montrose album, everything I read about that seems to indicate good things...anyone heard it?

Neil

BTW I have an ad up in the musicians section looking to jam check it out if interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Dest

Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver
    Newsteds old band, dont think theyre very well known, crackin song anywho

Originally posted by Dest
    Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver

Was listening to that a few days ago. Copied my old cassette onto Minidisc so I could listen to it mobile. Great stuff.

I need to get a new stylus for my record player, then the first couple of Xentrix LP's will be back in heavy rotation on Doctor J FM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

yup megadeth kik ass prefere them more than metallica now :o
    they r very consistant wit there releases
    dave mustaine is great lookin forward to his album in new year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Samson - Bruce Dickinson's pre-maiden band.

I was fortunate to have gotten my hands on "New Wave of British Heavy Metal '79 Revisited" CD (double album) which was compiled by Lars Ulrich and Geoff Barton (Managing Editor of Kerrang mag in 1990, when the compilation was released) - i'm still amazed how unique, original and fresh all those bands were back then - and they still sound brilliant, better than most bands going today!

Even if you were still soiling your pants back then (as i was) you cant help but feel "nostalgic" - you can just visualize the whole atmosphere and feel the rawness by listening to the cd.
    Highly recommended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm... I think I'll throw Mercyful Fate into the discussion.

King Diamond was mentioned.

What about Saxon?
    I saw them in England a couple of months back, and man can they still ROCK!
    The drum solo alone was breath-taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

Black Sabbeth - Plant Caveran. everyone knows that song but thinks that Pantera wrote it but they did a cover of not good tho and they got some words wrong too hee hee Classic song

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Shred

What about Saxon?

Exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through this. Saw them in Mcgonagle's (R.I.P.) in '91 with about 60 other people - it was a great gig pity more didn't turn out for it:rolleyes:

The Eagle Has Landed is one of the best live albums I've ever heard:cool:

Me brother picked a Saxon double DVD package in England recently (when he was over there to see Motorhead) - it's got a sh*t load of stuff on it including a live gig from last year, interviews, archive stuff, about a 50 page booklet etc and it was only st£20! He was saying the new tunes they play on it are pretty cool too.

Advertisement