Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB failed in Phibsboro

• 24-10-2003 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

Hi,

First post, but I've been lurking for a while. Just an FYI for any fellow phibsboro lurkers - had IBB out today and failed :( I nearly started to cry! The lowest number they got was 75 and apparently it really needs to be under 60 to get a decent service. Eircom/Esat/Utv all say line is not suitable for DSL. Looks like i'm waiting for the IBB Phibsboro tower if that ever happens.

Anyone else have any suggestions for phibsboro?

Colm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

They have installed equipment on the tower in Phibsborough... They are just waiting to connect it up to the network...should only be a few days ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

wow - thats weird. I got the impression from the boys who did the los that they hadn't even chosen a site yet. Do you know approx location of tower?

Colm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

afaik it will be on top of the Phibs tower (above shopping centre)

I'll have to go round there with my binoculars, see if i can spot any activity :)

thanks for the info guys - my tears are drying up a bit ;)

Colm

Hi,

I don't mean to bounce this, but no word from IBB on phibsboro mast - I don't suppose any kind soul has any inside info on when it might come up?

Also, just to let you know that I rang ericom (dsl line) re getting an online check done. Lady who answered and her supervisor both denied categorically that this was something they could do or organise (i believe they can't do it themselves obviously). They said that every enquiry which failed the line test was put into a folder and would be re-tested. In hindsight tho I think they just meant on the monthly run. I have a ton of stuff hanging off my line and would love a specific date for a test so I could unplug it all. I have taken to unplugging everything b4 I go to work, but that means no answering machine and I'll not sure that the tests are done during working hours. Also, i forgot to do it once all ready ... sob.....

Does anyone have any idea on how to a specific test done?

Thanks,
    Colm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Hey

I'm in Cabra just off the old Cabra road (closer to Phibsboro than Cabra IMO.)
    I can recieve BB np. Ring and ask IOL and Netsource see what they say. Just an altenative option tho.

Ste-.

Hi,

Final reply on this topic. Just to let you all know that IBB came out yesterday to test me for the Phibsboro mast. Turns out that the mast is actually on the smurfit buiding in Glasnevin and not on the shopping centre, so I failed :( (in fairness to IBB their site does now call it the Botanic Road mast). I told the two lads installing that I had previously failed on Guinness too. They said they'd try a stronger service from Guinness and proceeded to test for 5.8ghz signal - and it came in nice and strong :D Was I pleased? Oh yeah! :cool: They actually had to log on and throttle me down from 3+Mbps to the 512Kbps i'm actually paying for :)

The download speed is great - I was getting a steady 60 KBps on a large download from Microsoft last night. Pings are spikey (one 10ms next one 200ms) but I knew about that and its not an issue - i'm well past immersing myself in online gaming ;). So overall (and after only one day I know!) I'm delighted. The two lads knew what they were doing and were quick about it and the speed has come through as advertised. And 512Kbps uplink and no cap and cheapest on the market - too cool :)

Colm

ps I know I may end up eating my words if I get the dreaded interference problems but hey - make hay while the sun shines :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

if you have the 5.8ghz equipment, then you can kiss interference goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Wow the 5.8Ghz kit sounds cool, do they supply this to residential customers, now?

Last summer I had a LOS test, from Stoneybatter (near O'Deveany Gdns) for the Guinness Tower and failed, maybe they only checked for 2.4GHz.

I might get in contact with them again, because I'm sick of waiting for Ripwave....

BTW I could get ADSL but I'm not interested in it.

Advertisement