Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Counts.

Options
  • 24-10-2003 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

Often while browsing through boards i see references to people's post count's on threads.

One that sticks in my mind was when someone said "An i am supposed to take the opinion of someone with 7 posts" or something to that affect.

What does having the post counts displayed do to enhance boards apart from giving insecure people a false sense of superiority when they have a high post count. I aint saying that everyone with a high post count has that attitude but i think it exists.

I seem to remember this coming up before but i figure its worth bringing up again anyways, why not remove the post count from under peoples name and just have it in the profile if anywhere.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Post counts are a clumsy way of showing that some people are around here longer than you I guess. Same way as the registered bit but with the additional idea that they have contributed more to this online community as well.

Unfortunately theres no quality control on this number so if they're a complete spammer (Hi Rich and SMAK) they might have a huge count whereas people who contribute less posts might have far more quality posts.

Its used by some as territorial pi$$ings though which is valid at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It all needs to be taken in context.

Normally, it wouldn't make much of whether someone has many posts or not. But if it was something to do with boards, say critique of moderators, or deciding on the future of boards, I would tend to look at the postcount, and the joining date. Obviously the joining date has more weight.

The case you're referring to btw, I think the guy was banned for being a muppet, iirc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

It is handy for spotting things like obvious trolls or muppets as well..

Maybe we could have a boards "no post count / reg date" week and see if it makes any difference? :)

davej

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Like seamus I rarely look at the post count... even if its a suggestion for Boards, I will take the suggestion on merit.

The one area I think it DOES help is on the For Sale forums as if the person HASNT been kicked off and has 1000 posts, you might be more willing to believe he's a genuine trader then someone who's just arrived.

People who say something like "and why should I take the opinion of someone with 20 posts seriously" are just snobs. They're going to be snobs whether we put post counts on the site or not. Theres nothing I can do about that.
    Sometimes its relevant but often its some form of desire to make themselves more important in some small way.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It may be relevant in threads like this where Chewb has 3 out of his total 5 posts complaining about one topic. He also seems to have registered yesterday and all his posts are "I want".

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121518

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Boards has had times were there were post counts and times were there wasn't. It makes no difference in my experience.

It's usually fairly obvious if someone has spent time lurking and getting to know boards before they post. In the long term I pay more attention to the post ratio than the post count. Even then I only use it as a minor clue and not the be all and end all.

There's always a period of adjustment when a newb starts posting. Some of the biggest muppets a few years ago are now some of boards most loved characters (except Boston).

And at the end of the day it's what the person posts that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

More posts also can lend weight to topics on PI, which is troll city. Of coarse this only counts when they aren't unregged.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Listen to him, he's got 7748 posts dammit!

*bows*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Originally posted by yellum
    (Hi Rich and SMAK)

ya 75 posts by me in the last 3 months and 75 posts in the last YEAR by smak, we're obviously the biggest spammers around here. Isnt victor or azazaeil nope no way :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Originally posted by richindub2
    ya 75 posts by me in the last 3 months and 75 posts in the last YEAR by smak, we're obviously the biggest spammers around here. Isnt victor or azazaeil nope no way :P

I assume he was referring to when you had a 60,000 (or some similiary mind bogglingly high) post count.

Victors the current Spam Whore alright though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

maybe some way around this is by putting the post count in the person's profile and remove it from under their avatar.

^^ just a suggestion now

Originally posted by Mark
    Victors the current Spam Whore alright though.
    Now, now what about sparks?
    Originally posted by Mark
    current
    And the last three years? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

How can i be lumped in with the likes of victor, i recall a thread on the mod board a few months ago when we had equal post counts, now look!

Spammest spam whore evAr! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by richindub2

Lol. I was referring to the old skool days ww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by amp
    There's always a period of adjustment when a newb starts posting. Some of the biggest muppets a few years ago are now some of boards most loved characters (except Boston).

You know you love it. Of course I'm not beloved, not my way to get along with everyone and be nice, to many of those dangerious opinions for that, but the thing is matey i've gone a couple of years at this stage without getting banned.

Also i spout to much random bull**** at times. But once you accept that we will all get by just grand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

/me ignores boston due to being 2 or so months younger than me on boards.....noob.

Don't make me wipe out carnivore and GLadiator and go old skool on joo ass. Hell i think Joe23 is still active

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Boston
    Don't make me wipe out carnivore and GLadiator and go old skool on joo ass. Hell i think Joe23 is still active
    wow, how many times did you lie about not being the aforementioned boards identities?

Silly boy.

I don't know, loads of times i guess. Don't worry about it mate the people who mattered knew, and the people that didn't matter (yourself) i lied to, and got into a fight with.

Hell i even lied about being Boston for awhile. "you boston" nope i'm *******. Wow someone on the internet lied to you, back in your whole monkey boy.

Btw i'm not 16/female/horny either, jsut incase your wondering.

Ps i love the silly boy comment. O no i've slipped up my secrets out, what ever will i do.

I don't know, loads of times i guess. Don't worry about it mate the people who mattered knew, and the people that didn't matter (yourself) i lied to, and got into a fight with.

Hell i even lied about being Boston for awhile. "you boston" nope i'm *******. Wow someone on the internet lied to you, back in your whole monkey boy.

Btw i'm not 16/female/horny either, jsut incase your wondering.

Ps i love the silly boy comment. O no i've slipped up my secrets out, what ever will i do.
    Oh I knew from the start, as did most people.

You're always obvious, always make the same stupid spelling mistakes.

The fact that you never learn shows a lot about you're mind.
    I'll let you draw your own conclusions but here's a hint
    you're an idiot

• Advertisement

Yep i never learn, thats why i haven't been banned in years, yep your right. I love sad losers like yourself calling moi and idiot when actually i'm quiet intelligent and have a high understanding of concepts you vibal little mind can't grasp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

OOer methinks this thread has strayed a bit off topic. (mmm stating the obvious)

Ahh well i got my answer, so tis probably best if this thread gets locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

People spamming a post about spamming and muppets. Jeez guys and poeple with high post counts.:rolleyes: :ninja:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think the cons outweigh the pros of the postcount. Boards would probably be a (marginally) better place without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by kif
    I think the cons outweigh the pros of the postcount. Boards would probably be a (marginally) better place without it.
    Pfff, you would say that mister measly 2000 posts ww)
    I'm with Amp on this one - I didn't notice any change while the post counts were turned off.
    Although IIRC at the time you could still find out in the persons profile if you really wanted to know.

lmfao @ bostons come-back btw... were you trying to be ironic or something?
    *fans the flames*

Yep i never learn, thats why i haven't been banned in years, yep your right. I love sad losers like yourself calling moi and idiot when actually i'm quiet intelligent and have a high understanding of concepts you vibal little mind can't grasp
    Intelligent people can usually string two words together without misspelling one.

edit* http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43220 *edit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I honestly don't think a visible postcount matters or not. Although saying that, if a moderator wants to apoint a new moderator for a sub-section they can see straight off their postcount and join date.

I myself don't post an aweful lot, do mostly reading more than anything else. It would be great if there was a "how many posts have you read" count.

Anyone...

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    Pfff, you would say that mister measly 2000 posts ww)
    I'm with Amp on this one - I didn't notice any change while the post counts were turned off. Although IIRC at the time you could still find out in the persons profile if you really wanted to know.
    You've been quite of late. I actually "missed" you recently. :(;)
    Originally posted by neuromancer
    I myself don't post an aweful lot, do mostly reading more than anything else. It would be great if there was a "how many posts have you read" count.
    Could be an abuse of rights **and** get people fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Originally posted by Victor
    Could be an abuse of rights **and** get people fired.

In what way?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So Mr Andersen, you've read 12318687346853 posts since February last year eh? And you dont have a computer at home DO YOU.

the man has a point :)

DeV.

Advertisement