Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Essay Troubles

• 24-10-2003 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Sorry not so much creative writing but a must

Just gone back to college after a good few years workin etc
    and now back studying and
    Having to do essays again
    i always hit a wall with them

Could anyone please help
    some advice or tips they use would be great
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

you're talkin to a real professional writer here buddy. how can I help? :)

What subject is hte essay for? Actually, what would be best is if you could just stick up a paragraph or or two of something you've written, and following 1 brief diagnosis by yours truly you should be scribblnig like you were getting paid for it!

So come on, get to work!

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

It wouldn't be nice giving him/her help on "One Particular Topic" when it comes to essay writing - And if you were a genius writer, maybe you'd suss the fact that he/she would like "General Essay Writing Tips" and would have plenty of tips to dish out?

I used to love essay writing, for it was what bolstered me as a writer seeing as very *VERY* few people in my school actually enjoyed English / Writing in particular...

An essay shouldn't be bound to one topic, because they allow the complete freedom that all writing gives... That is unless you're asked to write an essay on a particular topic...
    All you have to do is use you're head - Essay's are pretty much short/medium stories, and all it takes is for you to get an idea and work from there...

Give it all the neccesities, a beggining, middle and end, and work on each one seperately and in any way you wish. Fill it with more idea's, detail the things you feel are of importance and shorten anything you're not too fond of, but above all, make damn sure you're spelling and grammar are fine (When it comes to essay writing for any form of educational purpose, they usually don't give a damn about the actualy essay, it's more about how you're spellings and all that rot fair after a long bout of scribbling on paper).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Just a sample Paragraph from my essay.
    By the way did i mention that i am studying History

The essay title is
    To What extent did Hollywood Represent American Life In the 1930’s?

A real doozy!

These films formula were used to highlight the social problems of America at the time of the Great Depression. This type of film ran for about five years. The films were seen by depression audiences in different views. For ‘Little Caesar’ he was seen as the amoral greedy business man, who would let nothing stand in his way till he got what he wanted. And this message telling Americans that they should unify for a progressive America, one cannot go it alone. Tom Powers in ‘The Public Enemy’ realises this that unity is important as his partner in crime Paddy Ryan says “Nobody can do much without someone else.” Alas for Tom Powers it is to late, he is a criminal and realises this too late, and Tom is sorry for his life of crime, when he could have given society so much, he ‘stuck to it ‘in an American society that had become corrupt.

Thank you for your replies

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

All I can say is that if you think you can extend on that paragraph (Or already have), then do it / keep at it. All that is needed in an essay is something that will keep the reader interested, and if you can do that you're flying. Don't forget to check for mistakes also.

Advertisement