Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are women superior to men? NOT FUNDAMENTAL FEMINIST RAMBLINGS.

Options
  • 24-10-2003 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Okay, this thread isn't about "Women are better than men because we're not as violent, because we have to give birth etc." because that's a load of ****. Okay, fine, we have to give birth, but the species wouldn't survive without males. Women are superior to men in that we have an extra half-chromosone(not referring to XXY(or is it XYY? Help me here Aoife or Hannah)Supermales) and therefore are genetically superior. Not more intelligent, more adept at survival in certain situations, not more creative etc., simply an extra half-chromosone(per cell). Still, it is an extra bit of genetics. Of course you could say, based on this point, that men are superior because they have higher average upper body strength, or even that one person is superior to another because they have more active follicles. I'm contradicting myself because this place is dying and we need discussion, no matter how pointless.
    My apologies if people begin posting fundamentalist feminist or extremely macho crap. This is a thread for discussion of my previous point, not "Women have to put up with more than men", "The world is still sexist" or "Women belong in the kitchen"-style statements.

Edit-not sure what I was thinking when I started this, the point seemed so much more valid in my mind. Bleh. Damn inability to voice my opinions properly. I'll leave it here to see if anyone agrees, or can voice the point better than me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

Women may have that extra half chromosone thing, but what are they going to use it for? We, on the other hand, have penises which have many uses which I will now list:
    1. Being able to urinate with deadly accuracy.
    2. Filling a lot of space in our underwear which would otherwise be wasted.
    3. Hanging coats off if we run out of hangers at a dinner party or box social.
    4. Draw some eyes above it and presto, a humourous face.
    5. Having something for Jewish people to cut lumps out of in a ritual that baffles me to this day. IF IT WASN'T MEANT TO BE THERE WE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN BORN WITH IT!!!!
    6. It takes up more space than a pathetic half chromosone.
    7. It's an immediate indicator of who we find attractive.
    8. Loners can give it a name and personality. Voila! An instant friend.
    9. Without it men would do that weird womanly ass wobble when they walk, and who wants to see that.
    10. If men didn't have penises then that funny story about the man who snapped his when a deckchair collapsed would never have existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

:rolleyes:

not refering to XXY(or is it XYY?
    its XYY. (y being male chromosome...therefore the 'supermale' is someone born with two male chromosomes, two ys, and therefore XYY.)
    I'm contradicting myself because this place is dying
    yes...that's the reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

I havent spoken to my wife in 2 years. I dont like to interrupt her.

But seriously folks, yes, of course women are superior to men. Apart from Superman. And Gandhi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Why would the extra half chromosome make you superior? If I were to grow an extra arm would I be superior to all the other humans. Most likely yes, but let's say I grew an extra... wrist. No wait that's a bad example too. Ok let's say I had an extra.... skin mass over my eyeball. Would I then be superior to all the other human? I doubt it. Just because you have more of something doesn't mean it makes you an improved human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I said genetically superior GENETICALLY SUPERIOR DAMMIT! By superior I mean above or ahead of another human being, not a better human being. To be superior in general one would have to be a demi-god.
    Being taller than another human being would make you superior in height.
    Having more active follicles than another would make you follicly(follicularily?) superior.
    Having an extra arm would make you superior in the field of possession of arms...ignore me, in fact ignore this thread. I'm not fully sane at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

OF course women are superior to men, they can drive cars and parrallel park them without difficulty. They can count to 11 without having to take a shoe off.

But more important;y, here are 10 reasons why beer is better than women:

1.You can enjoy a beer all month.
    2. Beer stains wash out.
    3. You don't have to wine and dine a beer.
    4. Your beer will always wait patiently for you in the car.
    5. When beer goes flat you toss it out.
    6. Beer is never late.
    7. hangovers eventually go away.
    8. A beer doesn't get jealous when you grab another beer.
    9. Beer labels come off without a fight.
    10. When you go to a bar, you know you can always pick up a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Squeee

Originally posted by Green Hand Guy

5. Having something for Jewish people to cut lumps out of in a ritual that baffles me to this day. IF IT WASN'T MEANT TO BE THERE WE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN BORN WITH IT!!!!
    [/QUOT]
    But then what about children who are born with tumours....should we(well, perhaps WE shouldn't) not operate on them? Should we just say "If it wasn't meant to be there the kid wouldn't have been born with it! And yes I am intentionally taking your words and making them stupid, it's for argument's sake.(And yes, I am also implying that the penis is nothing more than a tumour and should be removed at birth. Hee hee.)
    Back onto this strange topic, women are actually genetically superior to men and it is all thanks to that half-chromosone. I don't remember how this works at all, I actually had this explained to me by a science teacher(Lord knows they know everything) The gist of it was that it's because males are genetically inferior that they are much more prone to things like being colour-blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

so, are any of you super women out there smart enough to tell me what this extra half a chromosome does?

what good is half a one anyway? if you were all so superior you'd have made sure it was a half one.

or is it a diet one?

sorry for the sharp comments, but I just got up and I'm feeling, well....sharp.

seriously though, what's it for and how do you know it's not something that isn't needed (or indeed could be inhibiting women) that men got rid of ages ago cos it wasn't doing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Actually the extra half a chromosome argument can be turned on yourself. seeing as the male chromosome functions perfectly well without the extra bit, is it not evidence that it is a genetic layback? wasted genetics if you will. tis all down to evolution. the question is as to whether the extra bit is a throwback to millenia ago or a step forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Dammit! Neil you beat me to the point I was gonna make when I read this! Having an extra half chromosone could be a sign of being higher evolved than man, or it could be a sign of being as evolved as man, only less efficiently. I doubt it's less evolved. But then I AM a wee bit of a feminist... Until I realise that for every 1 super mega funky cool better than any guy girl there is, there are 3000 tag-along braindead conformist silly women. At least most guys have at least 1 big quirky thing. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Spenguin

I read some article a little while ago that said men will die out eventually because umm... it was something to do with the fact that women had two different types of chromosomes and for some reason defects in one chromosome would be... I can't remember... shared, with the other so the chromosome wouldn't die out as soon as the male chromosomes will because they only have one type... Well, it made sense when I read it. It was something along those lines. Nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by Scarlett
    Women are superior to men in that we have an extra half-chromosone(not referring to XXY(or is it XYY? Help me here Aoife or Hannah)Supermales) and therefore are genetically superior.

I'm not a genetics biologist, but how exactly does having an extra 'half-chromosone' make women genetically superior? What advantage does this extra bit of a chromosone give women? Would a man with no nipples be physiologically inferior to other men?

I don't think this topic makes sense (but then again, I am an inferior male type).

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

IT IS UNBELIEVABLE THE AMOUNT OF IGNORANCE HERE, and the fact that i just deleted my LONG ASS post .grr.

to correct the genetic thing, in summary version:

1) Genetics is 99% an equal opportunities 'employer'
    2) that 1% is only with recessive X-linked diseases such as haemophilia.
    3) Women (XX) are filled MORE **** (genetic repeated information) than men. Humans take information from 1 X chromosome, the second is just for allele determination in dominancy issues (women are picky).
    4) XXY is what u were rambling about. Klinefelter's syndrome. feminised male. bit of both sexual characteristics. abnormally tall, high-pitched voice yada, yada, dada.
    5) Supposedly, we all start off as a woman, but thanks to the Y some of us (lucky enuff from my perspective) change into a man. That is why women get repeated X, but men have 1 X and 1Y. X is template, Y changes the human.

That's enuff of my rambling for now. the above is all accurate i promise ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭twirly sponge

Does the extra half chromosome actually do anything/ make us any different? We'd only be superior if it made us better in some way, and there isn't necessarily anything good about having an extra chromosome, people are born with downs syndrome because of having an extra chromosome 22.

Originally posted by Aliminator
    4) XXY is what u were rambling about. Klinefelter's syndrome. feminised male. bit of both sexual characteristics. abnormally tall, high-pitched voice yada, yada, dada.

XYY is in fact what I was talking about. It is where a male possesses two Y chromosones, as well as the X chromosone, thus supplying him with more testosterone. These XYY males are known as 'Supermales', a lot of whom are serial killers.

Originally posted by twirly sponge
    Does the extra half chromosome actually do anything/ make us any different? We'd only be superior if it made us better in some way, and there isn't necessarily anything good about having an extra chromosome, people are born with downs syndrome because of having an extra chromosome 22.

ah a learned person in non-disjunction and trisomy.

refer to allele determination for usefulness of extra X.

Scarlett: XYY....hmmm. haven't read about those. i'll get back to u on that one. i'll take ur word for the serial nature of them.

And by the way, i'm a MAN (just in case), and appear to know more than u 'superior' (lack there of) females on this thread.

Actually i read up on XYY syndrome there earlier and the serial killer bit is a piece of bull****. there have been like 3 who claimed they were shortly after the XYY was discovered simply because it would have been a cause to get them off due to insanity. however none of them turned out to be XYY.

Interesting fact #1 - th prison colony in aliens 3 is a colony for Violent XYY's -

good reading neil.

And by the way, mod and I are men, and appear to know more than u 'superior' (lack there of) females on this thread. so :p:D

So you found something you have in common with neil. You're both male. Well done. This makes you feel 'in' with the mod eh? So now 'you and neil' are 'smarter' than the females on the thread for no apparent reason.

....how did i get in trouble for being male? all i pointed out was that while the XYY chromosome, while being responsible for extraordinary height and a few others (and reputedly increasing the alpha male instinct slightly) was not a serial killer thing. it was the equivelant of ADD to schoolchildren now. i.e. it was the excuse. (I can just tell someone who actually has attention deficite disorder is gonna give out to me but they must know what i mean - ADD is the disorder that any child who walks a different path will get diagnosed with).

Give out to alim, not moi.

• Advertisement

I wasn't giving out to you, I was giving out to aliminator because he thinks that you and him are the only ones who are better than women because your the mod and he's a jerk... oh nevermind.

I'll give out to Alim...This thread is a JOKE. Not serious. Nobody is superior to anyone else. Unless of course they're a god or demigod. Or Crash [/sucking up to Neil]. Women have an extra half-chromosone. We are superior in the amount of chromosones we possess. Not really superior in the 'better-human-being' sense. Again, this thread is a JOKE. We can go into deep conversation about genetics, evolution, etc., and discuss XXY and XYY, because they're interesting topics, but don't take this thread's topic seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Some species of fern have about 300 chromosomes.

Bow down to your green leafy masters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

This is an interesting article about the weakening on the Y chromosome. here
    Seems we not screwed yet:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

What are women doing reading boards? Isn't this just for spoddy computer nerds? :)

actually, i only included neil cos he did some reading. i was just going to say i am superior, but well.....
    and i bleeding well am superior in knowledge compared to ye, considering hte stuff that has been posted.

and if ya hadn't noticed the number of side-comments in my posts, u'd realise it's a JOKE too. i posted it to TAKE THE PISS.

this is what i meant when i said the extra chromosomes makes ya full of Sh.ite!

First you say you really are superior, then you say it was a joke in your previous post, then you conclude by saying again that you are superior to women. Well, you're sorta digging a hole there aliminator. I'd quit while you are not too behind. You ever here that saying by shakespeare,

The fool thinks he's wise, but the wise man knows he's a fool.

I think that applies here. I'm not gonna continue this arguement after this because I don't want the thread to be locked because of this.

this is what i meant when i said the extra chromosomes makes ya full of Sh.ite!
    is a fact. not a declaration of my possible superiority.

digging a hole with who? do i even know u?

who's the bigger fool, the fool or the one who tries to reason with the fool?

<yes, yes, neil, no inflammatory posts. this is the last one.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

ok, i don't claim to be well-versed on the subject but wouldn't seem that of course women are genetically superior to men? i mean, we beat you guys at giving birth, cooking, moaning, driving terribly and all the other stuff we girls are known for (YOU know what i mean). and since we (the girls)'re all good at this stuff and we all have the extra chromosome or whatever, thus we ARE genetically superior!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

*Cracks thick neck and rolls muscled shoulders*

(Those of you who are going to UCD Rocky Horror Show tonight will know how much of a lie the above is)

Shocking News: Women are superior to men. Think about it. They are more attractive, have nicer breasts (no offence Sven, but yours are some of the nicest man-bosoms I've seen if it makes you feel better), softer lips, higher pain tolerance, live longer and generally healthier than we men.

Ok, we are typically stronger, taller and more phyiscally robust (stronger bones etc) but when is that a good thing?

Their endit the discussion.

(PS: XYY Males and XXX Females tend not only to be larger and more incliended to be Alpha's their is also a higher persentage of genius among them. So one could be mislead to thinking that XYY's are superiour, but there is no proof what so ever that we are. )

:p

Advertisement