Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are women superior to men? NOT FUNDAMENTAL FEMINIST RAMBLINGS.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Actually although there is a higher chance of genius the average intelligence is lower. so it all balances out really. also both mental implosion and havelock seem to miss the genetic piece. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

I miss nothing!
    I just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

Originally posted by Scarlett
    Iignore me, in fact ignore this thread. I'm not fully sane at the moment.

so what is the problem then?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

Originally posted by mentalimplosion
    we beat you guys at cooking.
    ............ thus we ARE genetically superior!
    eh. men are the best cooks. u mostly see male chefs. we're just not arsed all the time.

eh....have u read any of hte previous posts? i mean, really read and understood?

for some reason i can't edit this pic into the last msg.
    and have no idea how to get it to come up automatically. little help here l33ts plz.

it's funny. and damn well true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

yes, i had read and (sort of) understood the previous posts, i just thought that they were of nothing that i could write about, since i know nowt of genetics.

the real question is: did you read and understand MY post?!?

yes.
    hence the Q about cooking and superiority..duh?
    know ur facts. men are the best cooks.
    women are best at giving birth, (hence only midwives, and not midhusbands), moaning and behotching, and driving badly (unless the man is over 65)

back to topic. Women are NOT superior in mANY useful ways (only current useful way is lower chance of getting X - linked diease.)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

alim, dear, male midwives are called... male midwives. and they exist. they have a proper name that's like obstetrician (sp?) but isn't.

there are more female chefs than male chefs. check your local cert course. men make good chefs because they make better authority figures to other men, if you get me. a 19 yr. old commis is more likely to listen to say, a 6ft german who insists he be called chef than 5ft. 4' mary from kiltimagh.

Ok, we are typically stronger, taller and more phyiscally robust (stronger bones etc) but when is that a good thing?
    when you're a huntin' and a gatherin'. and protectin' the young uns'. ie., it's not really called for anymore. cos ye went and made weapons and killed off all the everythings.

there's a good big handful of genetic diseases 'cancelled out' by the x chromosome, i'd name them, but i was daydreaming at the time. women can still be carriers though, so the disease thing doesn't really matter, cos of the crossing girls can still get the diseases they're just more common in boys. eg, haemophilia, downs' syndrome, colour blindness.

more men are geneticists than women. and they do the research into what the 'extra' x chromosome does. and they haven't figure it out. so, when you think about it, it's the menfolks' fault that we don't know really what the second x chromosome does, and therefore why we don't know why women and genetically 'superior' to men.

if i had have brought the oul' biology book home over the midterm, i'd know exactly what i was talking about. i should really cos we're doing it at the moment. oopsies.

i'm sorry. i had never seen male midwives. i admit my wrong doing. but still, they're very rare.

On a side note, to throw a further spanner in the works, the most important human differences are in the somatic chromosomes. all 22pairs. compared to 1 XY pair or 1XX.
    At the end of the day we're each better at someone else at doing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭tibilt

why does there have to be a superior? one cannot survive without the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭vikki

WHY???
    whats the point in fighting over this subject???
    Both males and females are needed to keep the species in existance!!! so basically we (i being female... thank god!!!) both need eachother and who really cares which gender is superior to the other...

Q. why are there snowmen and no snowwomen (spelling???)?
    A. because only men are stupid enough to stand in the cold all
    winter!!!

and i know the joke (if its even funny) is a dig at males but its not meant to be offensive maybe we should see who is least superior to get an answer to this (rather pointless in my opinion) question!

:) why argue about something which may not have an answer when all factors are taken into account

maybe its just a matter of personal opinion

vikki*:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Originally posted by vikki
    Both males and females are needed to keep the species in existance!!!

I BEG to differ! what about hermaphrodites!

when i typed about "the species" i was referring to humans
    not worms and the like who manage to reproduce without another

*vikki*

Ps im not wonderful at biology etc. so if not all worms are hermaphrodites (sp???) i apologize;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

I say we start up the Feminiminist movement!

Women back in dresses!
    Sowing
    OH! MR KIPLING, YOUR CAKES > *

when i typed about "the species" i was referring to humans
    not worms and the like who manage to reproduce without another

*vikki*

I'm pretty sure that humans can also be hermaphrodites, though their called shemales usually

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

About two billion years ago bacteria discoved sex. The main survival advantage it gave them was that swapping DNA meant that their descendants would be genetically different to themselves. This has the effect of making evolution is faster and introducing more genetic variation into the population, 'cos of the gene shuffling which means that a virus/phage/parasite that would have devasted a popultaion that were indentical clones now is likely to have some individuals who have greater genetic resistance and/or could develop resistance sooner.

So at first there were mainly hemaphrodites, but later on two distinct sexes appeared, and apart from mammals in most species the female is bigger. In the case of the angler fish this is carried to extreme.

Some fish start out as male - and only when they are big enough to lay eggs do their genes give them a sex change to become male. Other fish start out as females with one male - if anything happens to him - the biggest female becomes a male...

The X chromosome is needed to live - you can't be YY.
    The Y is what makes one male - it is smaller than the X (hence the half bit) and is missing a lot of genes, but in most cases working copies of the genes will be found on the X.

Due to our recent evolution men and women are quite different, apart from the size (dimorphism). Women have wider hips and more fat, but both sexes have vestigil sex organs of both sexes. (eg. men have nipples etc.) in theory the right doses of the right hormones at the right time can be used to change sex before birth (look at all the stories about men growing brests) - possibly even enough to produce a hemphrodite. And the we'd know the answer to the question of who gets more pleasure...
    Note: most hemaphrodites don't self fertilize if there is any other alternative. But if they do then the offspring will not be genetically indentical. Eg: if parent if Aa then offspring can be AA or Aa or aa (the physical expression (phynotype) of AA usually is the same as Aa but not always) also things eg: skin colour are a blend of genes rather than being black or white.

Or if the nucleas of the egg did not split on the final division in the ovary then a woman would become pregnant with her clone..
    ===============

Also on a Radio 4 program recently they talked about research on C. Elegans (SP) a nematode with only ~500 cells in it's body - ie. they have a fair idea of each of the cell divisions in it's life. But if you make it sexless by killing off certain stem cells then they can live up to 7 times as long ! Similar research has been done on mice. It's a bit more complicated than castration but in theory a sexless person (rather than neutered) could live to be 500 (and fairly active for most of that time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭tibilt

thank you for that entirely unecessary spate of showing off alim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

what a strange thread.
    I can see the protests and chants now....

"Who has more chromosomes?!"
    "WE DO!"
    "Does that make us better?"
    "UUUUH, POSSIBLY.....?"

Originally posted by tibilt
    thank you for that entirely unecessary spate of showing off alim.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

That wasnt alim, unless he figured out Capt'n Midnight's Password

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Kananga
    what a strange thread.
    I can see the protests and chants now....

"Who has more chromosomes?!"
    "WE DO!"
    "Does that make us better?"
    "UUUUH, POSSIBLY.....?"

Eh? Most of us have 23 pairs of chromosomes (ie 46 halves) - some people may have more than a pair eg Klinfelters / Mongalism - and there is no correlation between the numbers of chromosomes and your position on the "evolutionary ladder" ..

Back on topic

One point in previous topic was that if you were neither male nor female you could possibly live 7 times as long which makes the quabbling over m vs. f a bit redundant ..

• Advertisement

hear hear cap'n. i was only taking the piss in the previous posts. ffs. at least there is a fellow learned one.
    and no tibilt, that was not I, for this is my ONLY day off from my finals before they end next week. i come here for a bit of comic relief, and is that ever present on this forum. :D

ok ok since you (jaffer) are going to insist on being right (and by saying that i dont mean to say you are wrong because your views are valid) its just what i think but considering that i most probably dont know you im not going to argue!!! but who really cares who is better its not as if knowing will affect our everyday life anyway

and the discussion now arising on hermaphrodites is going to be a little off the point of this thread in the near future i should think

so sorry once again if the first line offends you as it is not intended to...

Vikki*

if the world was a cookie
    friends would be the chocolate chips:p

Not exactly sure what that was in reference to vikki, but i do agree that hermaphroditism is far removed from....well anything else in this thread. I bet Áine is kicking herself right now :p

Oh and dont worry about the me insisting on rightness thing, it's quite true, im a bit of an arrogant perfectionist

jaffer (sorry dont know your name) i was referring to your comment on the odd human being a hermophradite (sorry i keep spelling it wrong i know) and them being called shemales usually or something to that effect

however i am confusing myself at this point in time and think its in my best interests to shut up (well until tomorrow...):p

anyway i think thats all i have to say for now

see ya

Vikki*

but who really cares who is better its not as if knowing will affect our everyday life anyway

eg: you could have a sex-change operation..

Eh cap'n most people here are between 14 and 18, and thus would probly want a chance to fully utilise their current sex.

Your just trying to get 2000 posts, arent you???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Eh? Most of us have 23 pairs of chromosomes (ie 46 halves) - some people may have more than a pair eg Klinfelters / Mongalism - and there is no correlation between the numbers of chromosomes and your position on the "evolutionary ladder" ..

Back on topic

One point in previous topic was that if you were neither male nor female you could possibly live 7 times as long which makes the quabbling over m vs. f a bit redundant ..

Uuuuh I know. It was a joke, a jape etc. The Thread starter said that because women "have an extra bit of genetics" they are genetically superior. I was trying to get across the point that that is utter bo**ix

The original post stated

"Women are superior to men in that we have an extra half-chromosone(not referring to XXY(or is it XYY? Help me here Aoife or Hannah)Supermales) and therefore are genetically superior. Not more intelligent, more adept at survival in certain situations, not more creative etc., simply an extra half-chromosone(per cell). Still, it is an extra bit of genetics."

Advertisement