Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Connection Question on Laptops

• 24-10-2003 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting a laptop, but I am confused on what Wireless option to select. What I am looking to do, is to be able to have my broad band connection on my home PC, and to be able to share it wirelessly to my laptop for around the house. Now there are two options to select from when I am choosing to buy the laptop one is an "Internal Wireless 802.11g" and the other is an "Internal 802.11g and Access Point/Router"? So am confused on which one to select.

Also when I have that selected what further equipment do I need to be able to wirelessly share my broad band from my home Pc to the Laptop?

Thanks loads,

-Coz.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

just buy a pcmia 802.11a/b/g whichever for the laptop, then buy another wireless card of the pci flavour for the pc be it a/b/g but make sure they are compliant.

then you just install the pcmia to the laptop and the pci to the pc, install the software and then just set up the network, not really any need for a router since its pc to laptop only

im doing the same thing myself and have the kit ordered from elara.ie

SKU: ECS03282 Buffalo 54Mbps PCI Bus Card & Antenna (WLE-NDR) €88.06
    SKU: ECS03279 Buffalo Wireless Cardbus 54/11Mbps €58.24

both 54mbps, works up to 20metres indoors, if you need longer transmission of the signal it will degrade the speed significantly, jumps down to 22mbps and 11mbps but even with those speeds it wouldnt affect ur net speed from ur iol bb connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Sound barra m8, will that PCI Card your getting from elara.ie be compatible with the one im getting on my laptop, or need I go looking for another PCI Wireless thingy ma jig for my set up?

well here is the spec sheet on it:

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wli-pci-g54.htm

Standard Compliance IEEE802.11b, IEEE802.11g

so it should be fine

btw which laptops have you being looking at that have those coming with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

An american company by the name of PC Torque, that some lad in my other thread linked me to.(must thank him actually) Some excellent Specs for great Prices Link of the one im thinking of getting comments on system are welcomed, as im new to the whole laptop thing, but from what I can see its a smashing system. Also one of the few Laptops shipped with the Radeon 9600 128ram Card, best mobile graphics chip on the market atm.

Anyways there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

no probs. connecting directly from one wireless card to another ( ad-hoc) can be dodgy and will at least require a driver update. the 802.11g cards are very good. They are the only secure wireless connection left. a b and bluetooth have all been broken

• Advertisement

yah not so bad? but what about shipping and vat :D?

but.. it dosent have "that" good specs i mean hard-drive 40gigs?, no dvd writer and many other basics left out but i know thats the basic package of the laptop im sure uve added stuff on but thats gonna be rather expensive when u put in dvd, bigger hd, and they dont even have an os installed on the basic package! everything adds up!

i ordered this: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52305

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by BArra
    yand they dont even have an os installed on the basic package!

You say that like it's a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by BArra
    and they dont even have an os installed on the basic package! everything adds up!
    Might I refer the gentleman here?

It's a fair point really. Assuming you go the route of getting a licensed Windows, it'll cost you a lot more than getting a bundled copy.

Advertisement