Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading advice.

• 25-10-2003 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

I need some advice.

I have the system below and i want to upgrade roughly as follows; Intel PC800 3.0Ghz minimum, 1024 RAM minimum, PC800 Motherboard (all features). Options on top of that include S-ATA Hds and anything else i can think i might want. My budget is around a grand maybe higher. No Athlons. Will buy most from komplett, except maybe the new case.

My aim is for primarily a serious games machine. A fast one.

Current System:
    Dell 8200
    Intel 1.8Ghz
    512mb Rambus RAM
    Nvidia Terratec 5800 non-ultra.
    60mb Hd 7200rpm
    80mb Hd 7200rpm

Standard dell case.

-Any help will be appreciated, especially in selection of motherboard and Ram.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Mobo: Abit IC7 Max3 SATA, firewire, lan etc..
    CPU: The P4 2.4Ghz (800Mhz HT) is the best chip for clocking in the P4 range but you can pay 3x more for a 3Ghz if you're loaded. P4s are supposed to drop by about 30% in price from monday so a 3Ghz will be more affordable.
    RAM: paired 2x512 PC3200 or PC3500 branded (Geil, Mushkin, Kingston, etc)
    PSU: Chieftec 360/420w or similar quality.
    Sound: Creative Audigy2
    Your HDs/floppy are prolly ok,
    CD/RW DVD drives (any branded make)
    Case: any ATX mid-tower (Lian Li are nice ;))

A top-end Gfx card will cost €500-600 so I suppose you'll stick with the 5800

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Thanks for that info. Especially for the heads up on the price drop. Know if Komplett cpu prices will drop soon too?

Advertisement