Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving XP to new system problems

• 25-10-2003 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

Got myself a new Sonata case, AMD XP 2800, Asus A7N8X Deluxe Mobo and an extra 512MB DDR ram to up upgrade my Generic case, AMD 1400, ECS K7S5A with 512MB DDR Ram.

Dont seem to have any problems hardware wise but when i pop my hard drive with XP home installed on it into the new setup i get a blue screen just before it goes to load XP with a STOP error.

The error goes :

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.
    If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.

It goes on about possible virus or corrupt disk and to run CHKDSK /f etc.

Technical Information :

*** STOP : 0X0000007B (0XF7A05640, 0XC00000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I was hoping XP wouldnt have a problem with a change of mobo but that appears to be whats happening... Anyone have any idea of a way around it without reinstalling XP again?
    Have the hard drive back into its original setup with no problems at the moment.
    Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

That sort of error is common with over stressed components ie memory.

You are after jumping from 133mhz FSB (Ram running @266mhz) to 166mhz FSB (Ram running @ 333mhz) since you changed the processor. If your original ram was Pc2100 then this could be your problem and you will have to use the FSB : RAM divider .

If your Ram is Pc2700 or more then this shouldnt be affecting you and the problem is else where......... just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Just found this article on Microsofts site which seems close to the mark :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314082

Anyone ever merge the registry as suggested on this page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I've tried to move XP on a couple of occasions now but always got that error. Even if you got it to boot it would probably be unstable at best, save yourself the hassle and just re-install.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

XP/2K are plug n play - but only when they have booted into the GUI - any changes eg: HDD controller that stop this will not be detected.

Surprised that you did not get a stop 0x00000007 - Inaccessible Boot Device - that's the usual result when you swap XP or 2K drives..

Use SYSPREP first. (note you have to re-enter the serial number since it then goes through a mini-hardware detection.)

NOTE: OS moves / Installs should never be done with Overclocked stuff. Many Older Servers BIOS's have options to help with installing picky OS's like OS2 / NT - eg: disable Cache / Limit RAM to 64MB / 256 MB / Compatible speed.

So retry the HDD with the most stable settings - Only when the OS is stable should you try upping it again - if that don't work SYSPREP.

Sysprep needs the hardware to be identical to work. So i dont think its going to work for me unfortunatly. Have nothing overclocked on the new stuff either. May try this registry merge thingy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

With SYSPREP the HW does not have to be indentical - obviously it helps. M$ have always refused to support cloned machines - unless the cloning happened before the HW detection - on the grounds that even if the PC's were the same model form the same manufacturer there could still be differences in the BIOS and Firmware revisions and different brands of memory and HDD etc. etc. and they just didn't want the whole "if it's the same why is it different ?" grief...

you might need to update the sysprep.inf file to add in SCSI or Newer IDE drivers.

Registry trick seems to have done the job. Typing this on my new setup anyhow :) Had to reactive Windows Xp because it detected the hardware change. Havent noticed any problems just yet...

Advertisement