Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU

Options
  • 24-08-1999 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Well I got 440 points and got an offer from DCU today for Computer Aplications (horray for me)

The bottom line is that it looks like im going to DCU and I want to know a little about the setup over there for Quake and general internet use.

At the open day they gave free access to web surfing but the firewall stoped all downloading. Are there ways around this firewall so I can download things and more importantly play quake.

Also whats the story with the LAN, are games played across it openly or is it strictly monitored?

Any help would be apprecated.

El_pres

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

ehh LANs have lecturers and sys-admins wandering around till about 6/7 .. after that time its grand to play Quake...
    you'll have a CA logon so you'll have the best computers to play with smile.gif
    thing is though you won't be able to play on the net unless you manage to find someone (or bribe) with a thorung logon so you can run cheapo (thats the only server with external access)
    thats all.
    mail me if ya want more info.
    as for dl's you can dl whatever the **** you like.
    new labs that are opening will all be workstations... i.e. no hard disks but the older labs are grand for the oul' star wars films etc.
    anyway join redbrick and get yourself an a/c for storing **** on (50 megs)
    or if ur like me have no quota on ur a/c muhahaha

kali@redbrick.dcu.ie
    www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

haha im the only person(sortof..) with a thorung logon
    you will have to bribe me

i hope they upgrade thorung this year, ****ing stupid having a pentium 60 as the mail server.. it actually lags when you try to telnet to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Name your price.

Ta for the info, cya'll in september.

El_pres

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Congratulations!

4 years of the worst collage bar I ever had the misfortune to drink in...

...well, that and The Stables in UL ...

Have fun!

smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ahhh dcu smile.gif

welcome to hotbed of boredom and apathy
    the bar is crap
    the women are ugly
    and the beer is brutal if you drink guinness

mind you, the hockey team has a VERY talented and handsome captain, but then again, im not a student anymore smile.gif

thank f*ck!
    gimme back my taxes you leeching student scumbags

• Advertisement

actually the women ROCK in dcu.. but you have to go to the business school to even see them
    of course, no sane woman will ever pick engineering or computer science cos its a fuccking stupid thing to do, but at least DCU business school is the same building where we play games(mmm french student exchange types), and the library... the birds in the library are insanely good looking, you will want to go there to study..
    in trinity they have a separate library for the arts typey students.. which is a stupid idea cos it means you never even see any women near the place

oh yeah, the bar sells possibly the worst pints of guinness on the planet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

A mate from worked of mine moved out to DCU as a SYS-admin. From what I know, He's a Half-life adict. He was our Network Coordainator(?) here. Try him, he's the one who, regaurdless of dresscode is wearing jeans.

the bars been closed for the past two months
    while they build something there.
    nobody knows what though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 *Crap*

opsssssss

hehe i will "KILL" you
    all (:-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Scarab

DCU sux ass, don't come here.

Bar has been closed for 2 months??, jesus, i looked in there yesterday and all they have done in the 2 months is to rip up the floor, the roof and the bar. I doubt it will be ready for October and the cafeteria doesnt look much better. Jesus this place sucks, go to UCD, much better women there anyways, and their bar has a floor and a roof and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

Nobody going to Trinners. Well if you play Quake you probably wont be in the place after first year from lack of study and sleep. Sam managed to stay for 2, how, I do not know!!

10:00 - Sam in Eastend. Playing Quake.
    12:00 - Sam in Eastend. Playing Quake. Lunch.
    14:00 - Sam in Eastend. Playing Quake (CA). (GUARD!!!)
    18:00 - Sam in Eastend. Playing Quake. Eyes begining to get bloodshot. Evening courses come in, possibly time to leave?
    20:00 - Sam in Eastend. Playing Quake.
    22:00 - Sam in Eastend. Playing Quake. Eamo comes in. Turn off computer. Go home. Play Quake.

[This message has been edited by Helv (edited 25-08-99).]

haha niall, i was in youre bro's year

little did i know at the time that he was the brother of one 'Helvis'
    !!

of course you were in nappies or something back then

and its easier to get lost in UCD smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Watch it girlies.. Gav's on his way to Comp App. as well !!!! smile.gif
    cya then presi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

I havent played now for a few months now Sam so I'm not as good as I use to be. CLIT ot the ICT lads will probably be kicking my ass in the new year. Hopefully we'll get in some young blood this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Oh dear,

What have I gotten myself in for? Ah well, cant do anything about it now. Cya soon verb.

El_Pres

oh yeah .
    bring a screwdriver to open the mice,
    and some sort of blade for cleaning them.
    cos we always forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Is the VAX lab still open there?

I remember (with great fondness) trying to clean off the keyboards and monitors before trying to use them...

nah VAX are long gone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement