Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silence....Looking for it

Options
  • 25-10-2003 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone here has bought the Silent PSU from marx-computes(very bottom of page). Im looking for a silent PSU as its the loudest component in my box, if anyone here has bought anything from Marx were you able to go right to there warehouse and pay cash???. Any suggestions on a good quiet PSU other then that one?. 300W is enough for my needs its the noise im trying to lower its TOO much :( . So any suggestions?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Try www.hitide.ie , they have quality "silent" PSU's , getting great reviews...........

The 380w Antec True Power is also very very quiet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

i wish i could get one of these but with all the **** in my computer it has to be a 400w plus have fúck all money

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Just had a look at that hitide page. I notice that those "bequiet" PSU's have a fan both at the rear and top of the unit. How do you install those in your case? I wouldn't fancy having to cut a hole in the top of mine just to accommodate that fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    if anyone here has bought anything from Marx were you able to go right to there warehouse and pay cash???.

I don't know about the silent PSU but I can certainly recommend Marx. They have a shop in Fairview. Its hard to find (down a little lane) but if you ring they'll give you directions. I bought a pair of wireless network adapters from Marx about a month ago and when I tried them out I discovered that even though they were working perfectly they didn't really suit my needs. The very helpful lady behind the counter at Marx took them back and gave me a full refund - no quibble. Top marx (groan) for customer service.

Just had a look at that hitide page. I notice that those "bequiet" PSU's have a fan both at the rear and top of the unit. How do you install those in your case? I wouldn't fancy having to cut a hole in the top of mine just to accommodate that fan!

I can see how that might be confusing, its actually a fan on the rear and on the bottom (facing the mobo) of the PSU. They just turn it around in the picture so you see the 2 fans :) .

If your going for a PSU get a good quality one like a bequiet or an Antec True power........ keep away for no-name or not well known brands as they more offen than not are not "silent" and wont perform as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeh, I have a crappy no-name 300W psu that came with my case at the moment, its a noisy bastard. I have a lot of components and will probably be adding more so I was thinking of upgrading the PSU. Those bequiet ones (420w) are a bit pricey though!

Yea but in general you get what you pay for....... they are top quality PSU's , there silent, and they should last you through your next few upgrades which is nice :) .

I spent €125 on a 480w Antec True Power , am really glad i did TBH, your guarenteed no crashes due to power problems :D .
    Thats before i found the Be-quiet ones, either are excellent and the antec's are almost silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

My g/fs psu was noisy so I just replaced the fan. If you don't have an 80mm fan to spare, a drop of oil on the spindle (under the sticker) should sort it.

This was a noisy 60mm NB fan, a drop of WD40 totally silenced it :D

221003_18s.jpg

Yea thats a good point but taking appart your PSU voids your warenty and also if the PSU is going to be using the fan at a constant speed (ie with no-namers with out fan control) adding a different fan will still not silance it due to RPM (although it would make it quieter).

Theres also the power issue, if your adding new components, overclocking, etc then you have to have a good PSU anyway. IMO its prob best to get a good one and not worry about it again.

Have had my fair share of trouble with a few no-namers.........ahh never again :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Well I though I knew of every place in Ireland that sold hardware and here I find another bril little place ta COL_LOKI!:cool: . I think ill go for that one you recommened 54euro is cheaper then the marx one (62euro) and has 20 watts extra with practically the same noise ratings except.... Delivery is 10 euro and they are in dublin 3 have you been able to buy from them directly at there store/warehouse like marx cause I dont have a CC, I'd prefer to just go out there and pick it up, do you know if its possible??.

• Advertisement

HiTide accept almost all forms of payment :) , bank draft, cheque, postal order....... theres lots of ways to pay.

I paid using a postal order and my cooling kit, dvd drive and fans were with me 2 days later..... very impressed TBH.

Im not 100% if they have a shop front that you can just walk in and buy from, jow on the boards works for em..........any questions reguarding that im sure he would be glad to answer em. Helped me alot.

Why drive unless you need it urgently, your gonna waste time & petrol. The fact that its cheaper than marx computers covers you for transport aswell ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,
    extra with practically the same noise ratings except.... Delivery is 10 euro and they are in dublin 3 have you been able to buy from them directly at there store/warehouse like marx cause I dont have a CC, I'd prefer to just go out there and pick it up, do you know if its possible??. [/B]
    sorry... we have no "walk_in" store.
    We ship all products to the customers with SDS (AnPost).

But it is like col_loki said: until you need it _urgent_ there is no reason for driving to a shop (shipping time is normally one day after we received the payment). I would say it is not worth to spent 10 euros to drive through half Dublin, pay parking fees and waste your time ;)

Regarding the payment: The easiest solution is payment via bank transfer (online-banking or phone-banking). This is easy and very fast.

If you have any questions, send me a mail....

regards,

jow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

aussen1.jpg

You could always follow this persons guide:

http://www.carsten-buschmann.de/noise-protection/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

i can't figure out why people consider 2 or 3 fan power supplies "silent". i mean, lets face it, even if they're pretty quiet fans they're not going to be silent. and when i see an 80mm fan at the back all i can think of is that annoying whiney noise.

just looking at the picture i can imagine how noise the whole thing is.. they probably call it "silent" because it's not as loud as some other piece of junk with 3 fans.

get a zalman if you're concerned about noise, there's models with no fans and just huge heatsinks. or get one of the fortrons with a single 120mm fan. it's barely audible, and incomparable to 2-3 80mm-92mm fans.

i can't figure out why people consider 2 or 3 fan power supplies "silent". i mean, lets face it, even if they're pretty quiet fans they're not going to be silent.

Hey, ive got a 480w antec True Power in a sonata case with water cooling. It has 2 fans and i cant hear it running at all. I have 1x120mm fan running at 7v and thats the only thing i can hear (and thats very quiet).

I agree that most "silent" PSU's and Cpu fans for that matter actually arent silent at all..... but you cant put them all into this boat.

The be-quiet will vary noise wise..... for average net use.... or word etc where there is no real load on the PSU it would be under 24db which is on par with the zalman PSU.

The max noise at 100% load is 30db , which TBH when your playing games you couldnt desipher from the music IMO.

Zalman are fantastic dont get me wrong, but there isint a supplier in ireland (that i know of) .... so shipping is a nightmare, and what happens if theres a problem............

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,
    Originally posted by netman
    i can't figure out why people consider 2 or 3 fan power supplies "silent". i mean, lets face it, even if they're pretty quiet fans they're not going to be silent. and when i see an 80mm fan at the back all i can think of is that annoying whiney noise.

they called it silent, because the good ones are silent. ;)
    Under normal load conditions the fans are rotating with very little speed, they are in fact hard to recognize. Your harddrive makes more noise.
    get a zalman if you're concerned about noise, there's models with no fans and just huge heatsinks. or get one of the fortrons with a single 120mm fan. it's barely audible, and incomparable to 2-3 80mm-92mm fans. [/B]
    Until now it is very hard to get a good fanless power supply.
    They don't work well under heavy load and get _very_ hot. Thats why most of them are only available up to around 300 watts. And as far as I know zalman has discontinued the fanless-series (can't find it on their homepage any longer).
    The good modern psu's are very silent and they have reserves. And there is one fact you shouldn't forget: you need at last _some_ ventilation in your case, otherwise the mobo gets to hot.
    And: silent 80mm fans (like papst ones) used with 7 volts are silent too. It all depends how much airflow you need.

regards,

jow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ive just ordered it and payd for it....so when I get it I'll post and tell you all how quiet it is....I know it will still make noise its just that that I dont want to have a jet engine for a PSU thats all!...fanless 300+watt power supplies strike me as madness they do need fans!. Anyway ill comment on how quiet it is when I get it; netman I would have loved a zalman the only problem is no-one stocks them here in Eire!..... I could rant about how small the selection of hardware is in Eire, but I wont as it will never end :D . By the way HiTiDe increase you stock selection add in a lot more perfomence stuff:cool: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

That trick with the WD40 oil sounds bloody good. I may just try that. My computer sounds like a vaccum cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

hehe, i see i'll start getting hatemail over this...

i have an antec 550w truecontrol power supply, with 2 fans, adjustable at the antec control panel.

it's certainly a quiet power supply. probably one of the quietest around. but it aint silent. that was my point. if you got a couple of fans pushing the air through it's not going to be silent, it can be quiet, or low-noise. :)

now back to the original question... i'm happy enough with antec, but if i were buying a power supply now, i'd get one with a single 120mm fan. it's more airflow than two small fans, less noise, and there's a huge selection of 120mm fans if you need to replace it. at around 25db it's inaudible and can still push through enough air to ensure cool operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Any fan with two fans isn't silent. If you can't hear it then that says something about your hearing than the quality of the PSU. 30dba is loud. You need to be looking at 25-20 to be quiet and under 20dba to be practially silent.

bequiet - who?

Check out the recommend PSU's on http://www.silentpcreview.com/

I've had the Zalman - Quiet but not silent, and the QuietPC 300w and 400w models. The 300w is quiet but the 400w isn't. Quietest one I've had is a cheapo Aopen 300w on that I modded with a papst fan. Sure I invalidated the warranty but at €30 who cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

what would you guys say is the best way to reduce noise in a pc, bearing in mind i dont have much money? and do any of you guys use the silent drive system? what is your opinion on it?

thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The Silent drive can make some HD's run too hot. I've had drives that although within the min/max range of operating temps for the silent drive gave data errors when used in a silent drive. But were fine outside of it. Others say they're fine even with very hot drives. Personally I just think they haven't had a porblem....yet!

Easiest way to mae your PC quiet/silent is to buy components that don't require fans. If you buy fans, buy ones that are quiet. If you already have noisy components then its easier to start again. As is rarely one single item that causes the noise but its the sum of all the parts.

Do some reading on that site I gave you a link to.

Advertisement